User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

Thread: The Beer Thread

MBTI
    XNXP

My favorite kind of beer. Bock. I haven't ever tried Invigorator. Samuel Adams has a triple bock that they put out from time to time. Curiously refreshing. Wonder if Arnold enjoys this, having Austrian roots.

I'll be

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    DOPPELBOCK.

Invigorator Doppel Bock This is a very full bodied, German style lager. The word doppel literally means double, but it's not really a "double" bock beer. It is more full bodied than a regular bock though. The full body accents the somewhat sweet character of the beer. The Doppel is started with a base of Pilsen malt. It is colored and flavored by caravienne, caramunich and special B malts. A large portion of Munich malt is used for its distinctly German flavor and aroma as well as a little aromatic malt. Finally there is some carapils to add to the full body. The doppel is also flavored with moderate amounts of Yakima perle and German Hallertau hops to balance the malty sweetness. Though the IBU level is pretty high, almost that of Copperhead, this is not a hoppy beer. It's just that it takes a lot of hops to balance out such a malty beer.

Doppel Bocks are of German descent, having first been brewed by monks near Munich at the monastery of the order of St. Francis of Paula in the 1780's. They named their beer "Salvator" (savior) and started at least two traditions that still remain today. The first is Salvator Doppel Bock which is still brewed by Paulaner-Salvator-Thomasbru, one of Munich's largest breweries and the direct descendant of the old monastic brewery. The second is the tradition of finishing the names of Doppel Bocks with the suffix -ator. Others who have followed this tradition include Triumphator, Optimator, Maximator, Animator and of course our own Invigorator Doppel Bock.
    O.G. 19/1080. Hops - 36 IBUs
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Invigorator is another Free State product. It's only available a couple weeks a year, it seems. Sad.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Invigorator is another Free State product. It's only available a couple weeks a year, it seems. Sad.
    The "Free State" being where Pure Mercury resides ? Seriously, where is it ?
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    The "Free State" being where Pure Mercury resides ? Seriously, where is it ?
    He's referring to Free State Brewing Co. out of Lawrence, Kansas.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    He's referring to Free State Brewing Co. out of Lawrence, Kansas.
    Ah, I should have known.

I looked it up in the meantime, and it looked good. There was another beer from there called Englebert Moonbeam, based on the name of a local hippie, that was voted an "A+" while this one got an "A-". I'd like to try both/either. Maybe I can get a liquor store or distributor to order it.

MBTI
    ENFP

I've not had Wassail...it would be interesting to here what you think about it, Noel. I liked the last doplebock I had, though I don't remember what it was...it's been a while. I'm not very familiar with that style of beer.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    I've not had Wassail...it would be interesting to here what you think about it, Noel. I liked the last doplebock I had, though I don't remember what it was...it's been a while. I'm not very familiar with that style of beer.
    Wassail has a higher hop content than average regarding the style. Yeah. I'm a hop head. I look forward to reviewing it again!

MBTI
    ENFP

I <3 Hops. :p

MBTI
    INFP

Default Alesmith Speedway Imperial Russian Stout (Barrel Aged)

As my intp friend said, "This is the best beer he's ever had - better than Rogue's Shakespeare Stout!" He called me over to try some of this brew and I'm happy he did. It came in a dark wine bottle with the title Speedway Stout, along with racing finish line paraphernalia on the label. Lets get to the review!

Appearance - Didn't get a chance to see the head on this, since it was poured several minutes prior to my arrival. He described it as a lacey undefinable color that was beautiful to gaze upon. In regards to the colour of the beer, as always with stouts, dark as night.

Smell - What a big character! I smelled a good amount of chocolate and malts with an overpowering scent of coffee. Weird! At this point, I wasn't sure if I was going to have a mocha porter rather than the Imperial Russian stout I was really drinking.

Taste - Let me say this: If you love coffee, you will fall in love with this beer. If you live in San Diego or close to it, you will die due to having excessive amounts of this beer. Smooth sweet dark chocolate on set, aggressive coffee / malt finish yet complex in overall taste. I guessed at the abv with 8% only to question the real answer of 12%. My hats off to them for masking the abv quite well. The lingering 'weigh' of the coffee flavour on the tongue is heavenly.

Overall - This one is up there with Stone's Imperial Russian Stout for sure in taste and complexity. Definitely check this one out if you can. HIGHLY Recommended.

MBTI
    ENFP

Oh my! I must get some then, considering that coffee and beer are my favorite beverages. So I love beer that has coffee flavors! <3 Do Russian Stouts typically have a high ABV? I think I read that somewhere, but I can't remember. There's a place here locally that makes some Russian Imperial Stout I've been meaning to try...