User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

Thread: The Beer Thread

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    You should definitely checking it out. We went there on a Saturday night at 11pm and we're practically the only people in there. If you're looking for a mellow atmosphere with dimmed lighting to match the mood, then what are you waiting for?
    I should have just gone with y'all! I will most definently drag some of my friends there. :P

All this talk about lemon makes me crave a heffeweizen. :p I've never tried a beer with orang as oposed to lemon, it sounds yummy. :p

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    I should have just gone with y'all! I will most definently drag some of my friends there. :P

All this talk about lemon makes me crave a heffeweizen. :p I've never tried a beer with orang as oposed to lemon, it sounds yummy. :p
    Perhaps next time I'm up there.

If it's a good Hefeweizen/Witbier or beer for that matter, no lemon nor orange is necessary. I find that the acidity of the lemon detracts from the flavour of a fine brew but seems to improve upon a lesser brew. There's a reason why people drink Corona with a lime: it's inherently shitty. If your looking for a great Hefeweizen, might I suggest an Ayinger Bräu Weisse? Hell, you may as well try Ayinger's Doppelbock Celebrator while your at it if you haven't - it's a world class brew for sure.

Again. For those that wish to expand their beer palate, find new places to try out or even acquire hard to come by beers, I sincerely recommend you create a free account at Beer Advocate. It's changed my life. Also, I should note, I trust Todd from the Alstörm Bros more so than Jason - Todd knows his stuff.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    ENFP

I always go read stuff on Beer Advocate, and almost signed up the other day, but didn't for some reason. :p But I will go do it RIGHT NOW!

MBTI
    INFP

Prior to quaffing the Pabst I had this evening, I must say many, many praises towards Unibroue's 17th year anniversary offering. It's a Belgium Strong Dark Ale more so on the sweet side with a pronounced alcoholic after taste at 10%. I'm drinking Belgium bliss.

MBTI
    ENFP

I just signed up for BA...and I just posted that, but got lost in cyberspcae or something before it made it to be posted. :p

I'm intrigued by the darker Belgian beers. :p I had Duvel, which was yummy, but I would like to move towards the darker end of the spectrum. :p Duvel reminded me of a few white ales I've had.

I've not had PBR in quite a while. :p Though I was reading something the other day, that said if it werent' for Portland, Pabst might have gone out of business. :p

MBTI
    INTJ

beer advocate is awesome
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP

Default Full Sail 21 year Anniversary Doppelbock

I've considerable standards to weigh this brew on (The Ayinger Celebrator holds as the best Doppelbock I've had to date.) and honestly, I haven't had too many of them. Lets get to the review!

Presentation: Poured quite nicely into an imperial pint glass with about an inch of head at 8% by volume. It has a very deep and dark amber/mahogany colour. I see quite a bit of carbination going on- lots of bubbles.

Smell: Mildly spicy yet sweet with hints of caramel. Has a significant malty smell as well.

Taste: Woah! Full Sail superbly masked the Alcohol on this one. I have to remind myself that I'm drinking a Doppelbock here! I'm absolutely shocked it's a eight percenter. Has quite a significant malty after taste yet it's mellow rather than aggressive. Mild hints of caramel tickle the back of my tongue after quaffing it down.

Mouthfeel: medium-bodied, silky feel on the mouth.

Not as complex as the Celebrator but it holds its own as a Doppelbock. It's subtly alcohol flavour makes this feel as if I'm drinking a smooth lager. Overall, I'm a fan of this, especially its 22 oz bomber size. Recommended

*add* Wow! This is seriously the Tetley's of Doppelbocks in smoothness!
    Last edited by Noel; 10-27-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: add

MBTI
    ENFP

I had some new beers this weekend with my friend, after we took a bike ride!

New Belgium's winter ale - Two Below. Not very hoppy, but niether is Fat Tire, so I didn't really expect it to be. :p The most notable tatste seemed to be the carmel-y finish...quite pleasent!

Deschutes Brewery - Miror Pond (Fresh-Hopped) Pale Ale. This beer had a nice apricot nose that really stood out to me. I wanted to get a sample of the regular Miror Pond to compare to the fresh-hopped, but I had drank enough by that time. :p So I didn't But the waiter said it was just smoother. What exactly is fresh-hopped? Does it just mean they used fresh hops? :p Anywho, I think it was quite pleasent....certainly smoother than Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.

MBTI
    INFP

I want to keep this thread on page one of the bonfire, so keep the reviews coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    I had some new beers this weekend with my friend, after we took a bike ride!

New Belgium's winter ale - Two Below. Not very hoppy, but niether is Fat Tire, so I didn't really expect it to be. :p The most notable tatste seemed to be the carmel-y finish...quite pleasent!

Deschutes Brewery - Miror Pond (Fresh-Hopped) Pale Ale. This beer had a nice apricot nose that really stood out to me. I wanted to get a sample of the regular Miror Pond to compare to the fresh-hopped, but I had drank enough by that time. :p So I didn't But the waiter said it was just smoother. What exactly is fresh-hopped? Does it just mean they used fresh hops? :p Anywho, I think it was quite pleasent....certainly smoother than Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.
    Very Nice! Can't say I've had their winter ale, though I can say that I love winter warmers! I have a Full Sail Wassail in the fridge awaiting me to quaff merrily. Also, Fat tire is a pretty solid beer. I'm intrigued to try New Belgium's Flemish red offering La Folie Wood or their American Wild Ale Eric's Ale (Lips of Faith #3).

I fell in love with their Hop Trip in Portland - haven't had the Mirror pond one. Fresh-hop or 'wet hops' essentially means the brewery sends some folks to pick up some hops from the September hop harvest and haul ass back to the brewery to implement it immediately. Traditionally, hops undergo a slow heated process in kilns to reduce the moisture to one-tenth of the original moisture and then packed tightly into bales for storage and shipping-hops contain about 80% water. Thus a Fresh hop beer requires significantly more hops than say a traditionally hopped beer. Gotta' love dem Cascade hops!
    Last edited by Noel; 10-28-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: oops! Confused mirror pond for Hop Trip

Banned
    MBTI
    type

DOPPELBOCK.

Invigorator Doppel Bock This is a very full bodied, German style lager. The word doppel literally means double, but it's not really a "double" bock beer. It is more full bodied than a regular bock though. The full body accents the somewhat sweet character of the beer. The Doppel is started with a base of Pilsen malt. It is colored and flavored by caravienne, caramunich and special B malts. A large portion of Munich malt is used for its distinctly German flavor and aroma as well as a little aromatic malt. Finally there is some carapils to add to the full body. The doppel is also flavored with moderate amounts of Yakima perle and German Hallertau hops to balance the malty sweetness. Though the IBU level is pretty high, almost that of Copperhead, this is not a hoppy beer. It's just that it takes a lot of hops to balance out such a malty beer.

Doppel Bocks are of German descent, having first been brewed by monks near Munich at the monastery of the order of St. Francis of Paula in the 1780's. They named their beer "Salvator" (savior) and started at least two traditions that still remain today. The first is Salvator Doppel Bock which is still brewed by Paulaner-Salvator-Thomasbru, one of Munich's largest breweries and the direct descendant of the old monastic brewery. The second is the tradition of finishing the names of Doppel Bocks with the suffix -ator. Others who have followed this tradition include Triumphator, Optimator, Maximator, Animator and of course our own Invigorator Doppel Bock.
    O.G. 19/1080. Hops - 36 IBUs