User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would you choose?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would select a box.

12 18.46%
  • I would leave the boxes alone.

53 81.54%
First 678910 Last

Banned

I'd open one of the box... after then it's the end of the world... it's gonna be a new world or a worst one, better to choose than to stay on this life...
    Last edited by proteanmix; 07-05-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    The boxes offer a once in a lifetime, and the only, chance of a paradise for humanity. To pass up the choice would be to absolutely allow the suffering and the deaths of billions upon billions, or even more people. Whereas choosing still offers that single chance of redemption. This world is already a Hell, it's already a stinking pile of death and ruin, so even if the box turns into a Hell, I wouldn't care because every human would still die eventually. I doubt the human race could even survive that long in such a world - so either way, man gets eternal peace.
    excellent points...
    Your question actually got me thinking MM…and I think I’ve come to my final conclusion.. After looking at it from all angles I think I’ve decided to go ahead and open the box… Before I was thinking…Fuuuuuuuug.. I’ve been in Hell on Earth before so I ain’t tryin to go back.. but now I’m thinkin f*ck it.. might as well at least take the chance..

If things turn out good, then that’ll be awesome…If it doesn’t and people get pissed at me for turning the world into Hell… then I’d just be like…welcome to my world guys, you could use a dose of reality anyways..

Even covering the God angle… if God came down on me for destroying the world… then I’d be like…. "But at least I tried to do something."

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    YLJ and Magnificent, so you're choosing a box because you're pessimistic about the current state of humanity?

Well, that strenghtens my resolution of not choosing one. Humanity is okay. We get more and more peaceful over the course of history: TED Blog: The stuff of thought, the myth of violence: Steven Pinker on TED.com.
    We've been able to put a halt on the destruction of the ozone layer. I'm sure we can put a halt on global warming, too. (I'm not so sure if we will do it... but we can.)

Pessimism is an easy way out. It's doomed anyway, so why save energy? Why get up and push that button on the television to put out the LED? A LED is peanuts compared to the billions of megawatts used by industry. The big polluters have to mend their ways, not me.
    I'm okay with the fact that the big polluters have to mend their ways, but *I* can do at least something. We've got little boxes of hell and heaven in our very lives.
    How many billions or trillions will die in the time it takes for this current world to end in comparison to the two other choices provided? Many more will die if you don't choose a box. The gradual peacefulness of humanity is so extremely gradual that it requires so much of people, and yet it gives barely anything back. Wars have to be fought, criminals jailed, taxes payed, money exchanged, food eaten, etc.. All of this is an unending cycle of insanity and ruin in order to reach some akward and imperfect paradise -what will we obtain by laboring, and when will we obtain it, and who will see the fruits of our labor? We will never know because we will be dead. Yet, with the boxes... Everything is certain and instant.

I think optimism can only go so far before it reaches a realistic limit. The same with pessimism. I am in the gray line between the two.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    Even covering the God angle… if God came down on me for destroying the world… then I’d be like…. "But at least I tried to do something."
    HAH! Putting God on a guilt trip are we?
    Last edited by Lady_X; 01-07-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

Hate

HAH! Putting God on a guilt trip are we?
    You know how us ENFJs roll... No ones off limits to our guilt manipulation tactics.

MBTI
    ENTP

How many billions or trillions will die in the time it takes for this current world to end in comparison to the two other choices provided? Many more will die if you don't choose a box. The gradual peacefulness of humanity is so extremely gradual that it requires so much of people, and yet it gives barely anything back. Wars have to be fought, criminals jailed, taxes payed, money exchanged, food eaten, etc.. All of this is an unending cycle of insanity and ruin in order to reach some akward and imperfect paradise -what will we obtain by laboring, and when will we obtain it, and who will see the fruits of our labor? We will never know because we will be dead. Yet, with the boxes... Everything is certain and instant.
    Oh, so you think immortality and infinite energy is in the Heaven box?
    I thought it was a good world which is possible according to the laws of Nature... so one which obeys the 1st (there is no free meal) and 2nd (heat never spontaneously flows from cold to warm) law of thermodynamics. Consequences of these laws are: there can be life, life needs food, life is mortal. Heaven = the best of the possible worlds.

Of course, with another definition of what's in the boxes, things are different indeed. A perfect world regardless of laws of Nature... that's a much higher prize than what I had in mind. But shouldn't the Hell box have a much more disastrous prize, too? Eternal suffering or something?
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    infp

i think that a perfect world could exist.. it's just such a foreign idea that we can't even imagine what it would be like.

i dunno if i would open a box. i would be really tempted to

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Who am I to decide the worlds fate?
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by BRMC117 View Post
    Who am I to decide the worlds fate?
    Not picking a box is still deciding.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Not picking a box is still deciding.
    true, but I was just talking about the two options in the box
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"