User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would you choose?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would select a box.

12 18.46%
  • I would leave the boxes alone.

53 81.54%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I would open a box.
    Humanity will destroy itself and create hell on earth very soon, anyway.
    If there is a 50% chance of stopping this, fine.
    We're 99.9999999% likely to kill ourselves within a thousand years anyway,
    Why prolong it and make nature suffer?

A perfect world would be a balance with nature, as well. It would serve nature well.
    If not, well, we probably die out due to this "hell on earth" and things will be fine.
    We're just one species, it's not right to do what we do.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I would open one as well.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

ThatGirl

At this point, I would open a box just to see something move.

I am comfortable in both planes.

Neutrality is shit.

Though I assume those who are more content in life would leave it alone.
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 06-03-2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: I assume the right to analyze the boxes first.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    I would open one as well.
    Are your reasons similar to mine?
    Explain! This is interesting, as it is all a matter of perspective.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Are your reasons similar to mine?
    Explain! This is interesting, as it is all a matter of perspective.
    The boxes offer a once in a lifetime, and the only, chance of a paradise for humanity. To pass up the choice would be to absolutely allow the suffering and the deaths of billions upon billions, or even more people. Whereas choosing still offers that single chance of redemption. This world is already a Hell, it's already a stinking pile of death and ruin, so even if the box turns into a Hell, I wouldn't care because every human would still die eventually. I doubt the human race could even survive that long in such a world - so either way, man gets eternal peace.

An imperfect world is just a waste of time and energy and it's existence is meaningless. It's just a never ending cycle of ruin and consumption. So, a box gets opened and either the cycle is destroyed, for us, or it goes on, only enhanced. It's the same unless it's destroyed.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

YLJ and Magnificent, so you're choosing a box because you're pessimistic about the current state of humanity?

Well, that strenghtens my resolution of not choosing one. Humanity is okay. We get more and more peaceful over the course of history: TED Blog: The stuff of thought, the myth of violence: Steven Pinker on TED.com.
    We've been able to put a halt on the destruction of the ozone layer. I'm sure we can put a halt on global warming, too. (I'm not so sure if we will do it... but we can.)

Pessimism is an easy way out. It's doomed anyway, so why save energy? Why get up and push that button on the television to put out the LED? A LED is peanuts compared to the billions of megawatts used by industry. The big polluters have to mend their ways, not me.
    I'm okay with the fact that the big polluters have to mend their ways, but *I* can do at least something. We've got little boxes of hell and heaven in our very lives.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Banned

The boxes offer a once in a lifetime, and the only, chance of a paradise for humanity.
    I said that I would pick one because I'm assuming that it's my own version of paradise that had 50% chance of happening. Paradise is after all subjective, one persons paradise could be my living hell.

So if it's one standard version of paradise for all, this question is a paradox itself. Two boxes two versions of hell.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

The boxes offer a once in a lifetime, and the only, chance of a paradise for humanity. To pass up the choice would be to absolutely allow the suffering and the deaths of billions upon billions, or even more people. Whereas choosing still offers that single chance of redemption. This world is already a Hell, it's already a stinking pile of death and ruin, so even if the box turns into a Hell, I wouldn't care because every human would still die eventually. I doubt the human race could even survive that long in such a world - so either way, man gets eternal peace.

An imperfect world is just a waste of time and energy and it's existence is meaningless. It's just a never ending cycle of ruin and consumption. So, a box gets opened and either the cycle is destroyed, for us, or it goes on, only enhanced. It's the same unless it's destroyed.
    Yep. I can relate.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    I said that I would pick one because I'm assuming that it's my own version of paradise that had 50% chance of happening. Paradise is after all subjective, one persons paradise could be my living hell.

So if it's one standard version of paradise for all, this question is a paradox itself. Two boxes two versions of hell.
    I think I intended the boxes to hold some objective form of the thing, but it's all good.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    YLJ and Magnificent, so you're choosing a box because you're pessimistic about the current state of humanity?

Well, that strenghtens my resolution of not choosing one. Humanity is okay. We get more and more peaceful over the course of history: TED Blog: The stuff of thought, the myth of violence: Steven Pinker on TED.com.
    You been to Sudan lately or Haiti or Chile? How about Afghanistan or Iraq. Are you a religious minority in Georgia (not the US version). Do you watch the news?

Geez how naive and ignorant can you be?
    'It's the question that drives us, Neo. It's the question that brought you here.... The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.' Trinity

Agent Brown: 'Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions.'

'Maybe the questions are right, we just don't like the answers'