User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would you choose?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would select a box.

    12 18.46%
  • I would leave the boxes alone.

    53 81.54%
First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 136

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    I would pick one.

  2. #32
    L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    What do you mean? I'm guessing you want me to say what I would do. Hrm, I'm still undecided. I'm leaning towards opening a box though.

    I started this poll because I was wondering how far people are willing to go to obtain some sort of real peace, and like I assumed, people aren't willing to go to an extreme to obtain it. History has shown us this time and time again.

    I think one thing I was not expecting though, for whatever reason, is to find people who are satisfied with this world we live in. I think these people, no offence meant, this is just my opinion, justify the second quote in my signature. They aren't even dreamers, or perhaps, that's all they are.

    I will have to think more.
    I´m no dreamer, I´m a realist. Of course this world is an imperfect place. Still, I think that aboslute peace will be as boring as a comma. The wrong things in this world are what give my life a purpose. Even if I got the chance to open the "Perfect World Box", I will work to improve it anyway.

    I always remember a quote by Sir Frank Williams when debating about a "perfect something": "I don´t seek perfection, because, when you reach perfection, you stop growing"

    That is, if you have a perfect world, with no place for improvement, then, everything will stop growing, learning, and will lead to its own doom, because humanity will have no mistakes to learn from.

    "An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo



    LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

  3. #33
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Cecilia View Post
    I´m no dreamer, I´m a realist.
    I think those two can work together and that they aren't exactly opposite when used correctly.

    Of course this world is an imperfect place. Still, I think that aboslute peace will be as boring as a comma. The wrong things in this world are what give my life a purpose. Even if I got the chance to open the "Perfect World Box", I will work to improve it anyway.
    I don't know why everyone stops with the 'world' when they think about a perfect world, because I always think about the way in which the body can be perfected in order to fit into that world - having said that, I don't believe in perfection, never have, never will. I do believe in better and that somewhere along the way there might be a best, though.

    I always remember a quote by Sir Frank Williams when debating about a "perfect something": "I don´t seek perfection, because, when you reach perfection, you stop growing"
    What's so great about growing? Hell, I'd imagine you would be tired of it of you had grown so much that you were perfect. I don't believe we can ever stop growing though.

    That is, if you have a perfect world, with no place for improvement, then, everything will stop growing, learning, and will lead to its own doom, because humanity will have no mistakes to learn from.
    They will have learned everything though, so how would they bring about their own doom? Wouldn't they know how to solve that? Just saying.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  4. #34
    Senior Member BlueGray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    474

    Default

    I'd open one. It's far too interesting how the boxes work to do otherwise.
    The definition of perfection/complete evil differs based on the person so seeing how the boxes deal with that would be fun.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

  5. #35
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    I don't think there could be a world that's 'Perfectly good' or 'Perfectly bad' (unless, I suppose, people created such a world in their own head without having to account for other people's freedom of choice or idea of perfection, etc) but, if a world that is mostly truly terrible from almost everyone's perspective (torture, war, starvation, hatred, etc, and I haven't seen anyone argue this isn't conceivably possible) could exist, then one that is similarly good (if not 'perfect', per se) could also theoretically exist.

    Having said that, no, no touching of the boxes. I'd guess it depends on perspective, though. We are all apparently free and moderately wealthy, given our ability to access the internet. We'd gain from this 'better world', but not as much as we'd lose if hell sprouted up around us. A starving guy with AIDS in Africa or someone in a Nazi concentration camp or someone with terminal bone cancer , having a lot less to lose and more to gain personally, would be much more likely to try a box.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

  6. #36
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I'd guess it depends on perspective, though. We are all apparently free and moderately wealthy, given our ability to access the internet. We'd gain from this 'better world', but not as much as we'd lose if hell sprouted up around us. A starving guy with AIDS in Africa or someone in a Nazi concentration camp or someone with terminal bone cancer , having a lot less to lose and more to gain personally, would be much more likely to try a box.
    Precisely.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  7. #37
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    I don't have a problem with the idea of a perfect world - I don't believe you need bad to appreciate good. That does not make sense to me - I don't need to chop off my arm to appreciate my other arm.

    I would not open the boxes because of the poor odds, the great risk for increased badness, and because I do not believe that everyone deserves a perfect world or that a perfect world should be achieved in such a way. I think goodness should come of free will, and this sounds like it somehow imposes goodness on people who neither deserve it nor would be good people on their own.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Imagine there are two identical boxes in front of you right now. Both of the boxes are tightly locked, but you have a key that can open either box; the key can open only one box and it vanishes. Contained within one of the two boxes is a power that will instantly heal the world, stop pain, misery, death, disease, despair and anything else you can think of that is horrible - this box will create a perfect world. Now, in the other box, is a power that will bring great misery, and death, and horrors beyond imagination - this box will create a Hell on Earth for an eternity. Now, you have the choice to a) open a box in hopes that you will get the paradise and save the world, the chances are 50/50, or b) leave the world as it is by leaving the boxes alone.

    What would you do?

    Also, feel free to discuss why you selected your answer! This is really what I'm looking for.
    Stuff here might be useful: A Study of Near Death Experiences

    One perspective is that this world is already perfect as it is, for what it is, and that we came into this world because it affords us certain opportunities which are not available in the Ultimate Reality, or, if you prefer, where the problems of what an INTJ friend calls "this sketchy 3D world" are not present. In that vein, attempting to create a world free of pain would be like editing all the conflict out of The Godfather or Shakespeare's plays, or jumping into the ring during The Thrilla In Manilla and yelling "Stop! Stop! Joe, give Muhammad a big hug! Muhammad, stop being so mean to Joe now. Hug him back. I'm sure you can settle your differences without violence or teasing!"
    YouTube - documentary the thrilla in manila

  9. #39
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I do not believe that everyone deserves a perfect world or that a perfect world should be achieved in such a way. I think goodness should come of free will, and this sounds like it somehow imposes goodness on people who neither deserve it nor would be good people on their own.
    I think you just brought up an extremely excellent point when you stated that you believe only certain people are deserving of paradise. I disagree with this statement, entirely because, who are we to judge [almost as if we are god] a man to a place that would he comparable to Hell, because our world would be paradise, simply because he committed some horrific act in this world, when it was the world that made him into what he was and allowed to behave this way. Perhaps this inhuman being was raised in a poor home with an abusive father and he never experienced the kindness of real parents, or perhaps this person fell in with the wrong crowd and was falsely accused for a crime, or perhaps this killer was born insane and acted on some irrational impulse - why should these people be forced to remain in this world when they can be made completely perfect by entering into ours? Free will isn't so free. Monsters are born and raised, and sometimes, it's best to be them.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  10. #40
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    I think you just brought up an extremely excellent point when you stated that you believe only certain people are deserving of paradise. I disagree with this statement, entirely because, who are we to judge [almost as if we are god] a man to a place that would he comparable to Hell, because our world would be paradise, simply because he committed some horrific act in this world, when it was the world that made him into what he was and allowed to behave this way. Perhaps this inhuman being was raised in a poor home with an abusive father and he never experienced the kindness of real parents, or perhaps this person fell in with the wrong crowd and was falsely accused for a crime, or perhaps this killer was born insane and acted on some irrational impulse - why should these people be forced to remain in this world when they can be made completely perfect by entering into ours? Free will isn't so free. Monsters are born and raised, and sometimes, it's best to be them.
    By leaving the boxes, I am not judging anyone or deciding what they deserve, and that is precisely the point.

    And I disagree with your interpretation of free will, which seems to remove moral responsibility from people, but I think that is not a topic for the bonfire.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Similar Threads

  1. What would you choose #2
    By Arthur Schopenhauer in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 08:37 AM
  2. What song would you choose to speak for you?
    By MDP2525 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM
  3. What option would you choose?
    By yenom in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 11:23 AM
  4. Would you choose to be born?
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 05:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO