User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would you choose?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would select a box.

12 18.46%
  • I would leave the boxes alone.

53 81.54%
First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    No it wouldn't. Why do you think it would be Hell?

I actually find this paragraph somewhat revolting. To say that good cannot be appreciated without bad, seems to me, to defeat the purpose of good in the first place because bad somehow becomes a required thing that cannot be overcome.

I doubt you would be glorifying bad if you had been raised in some situation that, we all could agree, was horrifying.

This is religious-defeatist-privileged, nonsense.
    If you are going to reply to my post I'd suggest you leave ad-hominem bs outside please. You are assuming too much about my life or the life one would have to have led/gone through to arrive to my "conclusions" (which btw, are obviously wanderings of the mind in a hypothetical scenario that asks us quite a lot in the "suspension of disbelief" side of things ...). Funny too, how you forced a negative comment covering all possibilities (me being a religious freak, a loser, or a spoiled brat).

Basically what I was implying was that good and bad are relative terms. One thing is only good in comparison to another. A perfect world could be better in comparison to our reality, but there would always be better things than others inside that perfect world. Same thing with Hell.

Also you can't really disassociate a concept such like good/bad from it's origin, the human intellect. If both worlds were to be occupied by people like us, unless they had no free will, people would always be making choices based on who they were - human. I understand that sort of defeats the purpose of your question in the first place, but I'm just saying it's kind of a futile exercise, even though I already answered saying I "wouldn't risk it".

Good and bad like any dichotomy only make sense in opposition to each other, and it's always a spectrum.

MBTI
    ISTP

Peace is only temporary, it's best to leave the boxes alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    There is no good without bad. And there is no bad without good. To appreciate either you need both in the same plane.
    Exactly.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

If you are going to reply to my post I'd suggest you leave ad-hominem bs outside please. You are assuming too much about my life or the life one would have to have led/gone through to arrive to my "conclusions" (which btw, are obviously wanderings of the mind in a hypothetical scenario that asks us quite a lot in the "suspension of disbelief" side of things ...). Funny too, how you forced a negative comment covering all possibilities (me being a religious freak, a loser, or a spoiled brat).

Wow, I never directed any of my comments towards you, personally, at all. I was only reflecting on the idea itself. You just took it personally.

Basically what I was implying was that good and bad are relative terms. One thing is only good in comparison to another. A perfect world could be better in comparison to our reality, but there would always be better things than others inside that perfect world. Same thing with Hell.
    Just because something is better-than, doesn't make the less-than bad, and just because one thing is good, it doesn't always mean something bad must be. Also, just because you can compare two things, it doesn't always mean they're opposites. Mmk?

Good and bad like any dichotomy only make sense in opposition to each other, and it's always a spectrum.
    Not really. I can imagine a place devoid of bad, existing on it's own and the logic of the thing remains whole.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Imagine there are two identical boxes in front of you right now. Both of the boxes are tightly locked, but you have a key that can open either box; the key can open only one box and it vanishes. Contained within one of the two boxes is a power that will instantly heal the world, stop pain, misery, death, disease, despair and anything else you can think of that is horrible - this box will create a perfect world. Now, in the other box, is a power that will bring great misery, and death, and horrors beyond imagination - this box will create a Hell on Earth for an eternity. Now, you have the choice to a) open a box in hopes that you will get the paradise and save the world, the chances are 50/50, or b) leave the world as it is by leaving the boxes alone.

What would you do?

Also, feel free to discuss why you selected your answer! This is really what I'm looking for.
    I wouldnt select either because I think its a trick, both boxes contain the same thing, framed differently. A world without consequences.

Seemingly there is the abscence of misery etc. but in reality there's also no relief from misery or levity, how can there be when there is no such thing?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Wow, I never directed any of my comments towards you, personally, at all. I was only reflecting on the idea itself. You just took it personally.
    Yeah, sorry about that. Not personally personally...but the adjectives you used (revolting, glorifying etc) seemed completely out of context.

Just because something is better-than, doesn't make the less-than bad, and just because one thing is good, it doesn't always mean something bad must be. Also, just because you can compare two things, it doesn't always mean they're opposites. Mmk?
    But good and bad are opposites. And I'm not sure I get the first part. I don't believe in things being inherently good OR bad. They are either good or bad due to their meaning and their implications. Killing isn't inherently bad for example. We all "kill" to eat meat everyday. But if we kill a human (context) for any other reason than revenge (and even then it's subjective and usually considered bad nowadays) it's considered bad. It's all cultural and dependent on time and place and context. I'm not at all religious and certainly don't consider there is a force of good or evil out there. It's just how we choose to classify things.

Not really. I can imagine a place devoid of bad, existing on it's own and the logic of the thing remains whole.
    Sure, and if there are people there...over time..none of them are compelled to do anything bad ever? What about their sons and daughters? Their grandchildren? No? So there is not sense of "change" in this place? If it's a place outside of time then ok. Otherwise, if time does exist, the place will always be bound by human nature. And human nature is about doing everything it can do. We can then classify those actions as good or bad of course.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

But good and bad are opposites. And I'm not sure I get the first part. I don't believe in things being inherently good OR bad. They are either good or bad due to their meaning and their implications. Killing isn't inherently bad for example. We all "kill" to eat meat everyday. But if we kill a human (context) for any other reason than revenge (and even then it's subjective and usually considered bad nowadays) it's considered bad. It's all cultural and dependent on time and place and context. I'm not at all religious and certainly don't consider there is a force of good or evil out there. It's just how we choose to classify things.
    Sure, there can be subjective opposites. I think this argument works in my favor, honestly.

Sure, and if there are people there...over time..none of them are compelled to do anything bad ever? What about their sons and daughters? Their grandchildren? No? So there is not sense of "change" in this place? If it's a place outside of time then ok. Otherwise, if time does exist, the place will always be bound by human nature. And human nature is about doing everything it can do. We can then classify those actions as good or bad of course.
    I would imagine that human nature would have to change in order to complete the paradise. Also, how are time and a humans darker nature related?
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

this just sort of reminded me how wonderful an imperfect world is :]
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

i wouldn't open either box. i might be tempted to decorate them.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    ….Gee, tell us how you really feel Magnificent Mind? Why you holdin back... HaHaa
    What do you mean? I'm guessing you want me to say what I would do. Hrm, I'm still undecided. I'm leaning towards opening a box though.

I started this poll because I was wondering how far people are willing to go to obtain some sort of real peace, and like I assumed, people aren't willing to go to an extreme to obtain it. History has shown us this time and time again.

I think one thing I was not expecting though, for whatever reason, is to find people who are satisfied with this world we live in. I think these people, no offence meant, this is just my opinion, justify the second quote in my signature. They aren't even dreamers, or perhaps, that's all they are.

I will have to think more.
    Last edited by Lady_X; 01-07-2014 at 12:43 PM.