User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would you choose?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would select a box.

12 18.46%
  • I would leave the boxes alone.

53 81.54%
First 4121314

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't think that's necessarily true, because you're not stepping outside the scenario.

What if it there's an almost certainty that SOMEONE will open the box if you don't? (which, in a large group of people, is a strong possibility.)

At that point, the riding factor (likely) is more about conscience/emotion, rather than risk.
    Because the risk is effectively 100% no matter what you do.
    The question at that point is not, "Is it sensible to open the box?" but "When the box is opened, could I live with the thought of being the one who opened it?"
    Well it's a statistical certainty that the box will be opened eventually just like it is a statistical certainty that we will die eventually. Choosing not to open a box is just as rational as choosing not to kill yourself. It ultimately can be boiled down to risk aversion.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ExTP

Uhm, So I picked a answer before reading the "perfect world in one, and Hell in the other"!

I chose pick a box! Sounded like fun, plus, what is a perfect world?
    think about this:

If the world had no poverty or famine, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt would not be able to by Humanitarians, (as well as all those other wonderful people, that are)

If everything was perfect, would there be room for Imagination or dreams? *you tend to dream or imagine things that COULD BE? not WHAT IS?*

If the boxes were in front of me at this present moment 1 January 2011, I would gladly open any box, without any thought. Hell is already here on earth, We have diseases, famine, murderers, rapists, money crisis, etc. etc.

Whatever else The Red Man has to throw our way, I'm sure we can handle it! It feels as though it really can't get any more worse that what the world is going through already!

I like a challenge, and am not scared of very much. I'm sure The Red Man, know how to throw one hell of a party!!

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    Imagine there are two identical boxes in front of you right now. Both of the boxes are tightly locked, but you have a key that can open either box; the key can open only one box and it vanishes. Contained within one of the two boxes is a power that will instantly heal the world, stop pain, misery, death, disease, despair and anything else you can think of that is horrible - this box will create a perfect world. Now, in the other box, is a power that will bring great misery, and death, and horrors beyond imagination - this box will create a Hell on Earth for an eternity. Now, you have the choice to a) open a box in hopes that you will get the paradise and save the world, the chances are 50/50, or b) leave the world as it is by leaving the boxes alone.

What would you do?

Also, feel free to discuss why you selected your answer! This is really what I'm looking for.
    I'd "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" it, just to see what would happen.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

What would you choose?

Its not a box chocolates!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Well it's a statistical certainty that the box will be opened eventually just like it is a statistical certainty that we will die eventually. Choosing not to open a box is just as rational as choosing not to kill yourself. It ultimately can be boiled down to risk aversion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellz View Post
    Uhm, So I picked a answer before reading the "perfect world in one, and Hell in the other"!

I chose pick a box! Sounded like fun, plus, what is a perfect world?
    think about this:

If the world had no poverty or famine, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt would not be able to by Humanitarians, (as well as all those other wonderful people, that are)

If everything was perfect, would there be room for Imagination or dreams? *you tend to dream or imagine things that COULD BE? not WHAT IS?*

If the boxes were in front of me at this present moment 1 January 2011, I would gladly open any box, without any thought. Hell is already here on earth, We have diseases, famine, murderers, rapists, money crisis, etc. etc.

Whatever else The Red Man has to throw our way, I'm sure we can handle it! It feels as though it really can't get any more worse that what the world is going through already!

I like a challenge, and am not scared of very much. I'm sure The Red Man, know how to throw one hell of a party!!
    I hope you're enjoying yourself, Laser, because you don't have much time before Hellz' gonna bust your risk-aversive party, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by crevalle
    What would you choose?
    Its not a box chocolates!
    *takes a bite, notes the green goo with distaste*
    "Pestilence? Yuck. Let's try again, maybe I'll find War."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I hope you're enjoying yourself, Laser, because you don't have much time before Hellz' gonna bust your risk-aversive party, lol!
    Heh, well as I've said a minority of people are actually risk seeking rather than risk averse.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com