User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would you choose?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would select a box.

12 18.46%
  • I would leave the boxes alone.

53 81.54%
First 311121314 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Destroy the key!
    Genius!
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Destroy the key!
    Damn. You are just bound and determined to keep anyone from opening these boxes, aren't you?

How ENTJ!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Damn. You are just bound and determined to keep anyone from opening these boxes, aren't you?

How ENTJ!
    Consider us environmentalists!

MBTI
    INTJ

Leave them alone....
    I couldn't conscientiously choose good or bad for mankind. Not my role, especially when there's a risk out there that I could make the world much worse than it is right now.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    Do you have a problem with reality? Is it hard for you to come to terms with?
    First of all:

Second:
    Screw ethics for a moment. The moral question of responsibility is, in the end, of lesser importance and only concerns myself, while this is about the fate of mankind. My own little conscious should be secondary to the life or death of billions of human beings.

We live in a world with a certain mixture of good and evil (x), whatever that might be. Box a gives us infinite good (10), box b infinite evil (-10). If we assume that our current world is a perfect balance of good and evil (0) the two boxes cancel each other out. If you are risk averse, you'll leave them be, if you are prone to gambling you might be tempted to open them. The only reason not to do it is that you can not afford to gamble, because a loss would ruin you and you should not "go all in" unless you have to or are sure to win.

If you assume that the world is >0 (say 2, more good than evil but still a far cry from ideal), you have more to loose than to win, so the rational thing is to not open the boxes. If you assume the world is <0, you have more to win than to loose (as the INTJs have suggested). So what this comes down to is how good or bad you perceive the world to be. Empirical research has shown that this has relatively little to do with your environment, i.e. you can live in luxury and feel depressed and mysanthropic or live in a poverty stricken part of the world and die of some gruesome desease and cling on to life and hope. It's about biochemistry more than it is about a objective living circumstances.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    First of all:

Second:
    Screw ethics for a moment. The moral question of responsibility is, in the end, of lesser importance and only concerns myself, while this is about the fate of mankind. My own little conscious should be secondary to the life or death of billions of human beings.

We live in a world with a certain mixture of good and evil (x), whatever that might be. Box a gives us infinite good (10), box b infinite evil (-10). If we assume that our current world is a perfect balance of good and evil (0) the two boxes cancel each other out. If you are risk averse, you'll leave them be, if you are prone to gambling you might be tempted to open them. The only reason not to do it is that you can not afford to gamble, because a loss would ruin you and you should not "go all in" unless you have to or are sure to win.

If you assume that the world is >0 (say 2, more good than evil but still a far cry from ideal), you have more to loose than to win, so the rational thing is to not open the boxes. If you assume the world is <0, you have more to win than to loose (as the INTJs have suggested). So what this comes down to is how good or bad you perceive the world to be. Empirical research has shown that this has relatively little to do with your environment, i.e. you can live in luxury and feel depressed and mysanthropic or live in a poverty stricken part of the world and die of some gruesome desease and cling on to life and hope. It's about biochemistry more than it is about a objective living circumstances.
    Indeed. The value one places on life will dictate the outcome. You might find this interesting: http://oyc.yale.edu/philosophy/death...nscript24.html
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Thanks for the link! It looks interesting. I do know the competition: http://www.justiceharvard.org/
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Intention...
    Isn't this how we make the majority of our decisions in life? Regardless of the intention behind a choice, the consequences of the choice can speak volumes about something else entirely.

Motivation...
    What is influencing my desire to open the boxes at all? Hope? Greed? Will I blame it on something external like destiny or fate if I don't choose the right one?

Measurement...
    Is it worth the risk? If the effects of the box would only change a smaller group of people, or even just myself, would I be more likely to open it than if it would affect the whole world?

Conclusions...
    - If it's something I can't take responsibility for, I shouldn't be doing it
    - I would be more likely to take a risk if it had consequences only for myself, not for an entire world
    - In this case, opening a box is not worth it. I would not want to impede on someone else making a different decision though, so I would keep the boxes around as a reminder of our responsibilities to one another. Ideally no one else would ever try to open one, but I can't control that. Whoever made these boxes and the problem should get a swift kick in the arse though.

Edit: Not the OP, we should not kick them. We are kicking whatever hypothetical force created these hypothetical boxes.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

ReflecTcelfeR

Curiosity would could kill us all if I had the chance...

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I suspect there's some argument behind this or will be about how inaction or inertia is less likely to cause suffering or that being bothered about suffering and motivated to action only causes greater suffering than already exists. I dont believe either to be true and thought games or puzzles supporting that view I think are in error too.