User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would you choose?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would select a box.

12 18.46%
  • I would leave the boxes alone.

53 81.54%
First 21011121314 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Nice loophole!
    Thanks.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sounds like the end of Dark Knight.
    Yes, Batman is the dark knight the city needs rather than the white knight it deserved... because he is strong and capable enough to carry that burden.

I would hope that people would refrain from choosing. If I did refrain and someone else did not, the 50% odds would still be in place, yet I would not be the one responsible for saving or damning the world and that is enough for me. I cannot be also responsible for what someone else does or does not do.
    So you've abdicated, in order to avoid being in a place of responsibility that someone else must assume in your stead.

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Not if the boxes were destroyed unopened.
    What if we forge another key (since the same key can open either lock), open both boxes at exactly the same time with the same twisting motion, and jam the openings together so that the contents cancel each other out?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Thanks.
    I like that Ni edit. Haha. Dang. Wish I had some of that Ni sometimes. Don't even know what it is really.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So you've abdicated, in order to avoid being in a place of responsibility that someone else must assume in your stead.
    That's one way to look at it. But, choosing the gamble is not the same as choosing one outcome over another. Certainly, if forced to choose I would choose the more beneficial outcome. I do nothing but bad by choosing to participate in the gamble because my gamble is not choosing one outcome over another.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

What if we forge another key (since the same key can open either lock), open both boxes at exactly the same time with the same twisting motion, and jam the openings together so that the contents cancel each other out?
    This is also a possibility. But do we know that the contents are of equal strength that one will negate the other? What if one is more powerful? There's also a flaw in my solution. Do we know that destruction of the unopened boxes won't risk letting both forces loose?

I like that Ni edit. Haha. Dang. Wish I had some of that Ni sometimes. Don't even know what it is really.
    Want to know something funny? Ni was encapsulated elegantly to me in one sentence by a Ti-Ne-er. Shifting of perspectives.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

This is also a possibility. But do we know that the contents are of equal strength that one will negate the other? What if one is more powerful? There's also a flaw in my solution. Do we know that destruction of the unopened boxes won't risk letting both forces loose?
    Here's an anecdote I had in mind for a situation like this:

Marty McFly: [Doc smiles and removes a weathered piece of paper from his pocket. Marty unfolds the paper to reveal it is the warning letter he had written in 1955, taped back together] What about all that talk about screwing up future events? The space-time continuum?
    Dr. Emmett Brown: Well, I figured, what the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor
    Want to know something funny? Ni was encapsulated elegantly to me in one sentence by a Ti-Ne-er. Shifting of perspectives.
    Oh, sweetheart. You've been getting pwnd so often lately!

Quote Originally Posted by synarch
    That's one way to look at it. But, choosing the gamble is not the same as choosing one outcome over another. Certainly, if forced to choose I would choose the more beneficial outcome. I do nothing but bad by choosing to participate in the gamble because my gamble is not choosing one outcome over another.
    ... i think i need to lie down...

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Here's an anecdote I had in mind for a situation like this:
    Ha ha, this reeks of Ne!

Oh, sweetheart. You've been getting pwnd so often lately!
    That's a matter of perspective!

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I chose that I would leave both boxes alone. I'm not surprised that most people chose this response, since most people are risk adverse.

For example the insurance industry and the gambling industry operate using the same mathematics, but insurance is aimed at risk adverse individuals while gambling is aimed at risk seeking individuals. The number or people who have (or want) insurance far outweighs the people who gamble. And if you look at those who do both you'll see most spend much more money on insurance.

Risk seeking individuals would choose to open a box, and the data shows that risk seeking individuals are in the minority.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I chose that I would leave both boxes alone. I'm not surprised that most people chose this response, since most people are risk adverse.

For example the insurance industry and the gambling industry operate using the same mathematics, but insurance is aimed at risk adverse individuals while gambling is aimed at risk seeking individuals. The number or people who have (or want) insurance far outweighs the people who gamble. And if you look at those who do both you'll see most spend much more money on insurance.

Risk seeking individuals would choose to open a box, and the data shows that risk seeking individuals are in the minority.
    I don't think that's necessarily true, because you're not stepping outside the scenario.

What if it there's an almost certainty that SOMEONE will open the box if you don't? (which, in a large group of people, is a strong possibility.)

At that point, the riding factor (likely) is more about conscience/emotion, rather than risk.
    Because the risk is effectively 100% no matter what you do.
    The question at that point is not, "Is it sensible to open the box?" but "When the box is opened, could I live with the thought of being the one who opened it?"

Destroy the key!