User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Concept of Time

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

What a great question, gromit.

Sometimes it feels like a black emptiness, and other times it is intertwined with a sense of nostalgia as though all time exists in a single moment and eternity simultaneously. I ache inwardly when thinking about time and am often aware of helplessly drifting along the passage of time like quietly falling through a cloud. I am aware of the impending loss of everything I know at some point in the future which is that sense of intense nostalgia viewed from every angle at once.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

What a great question, gromit.

Sometimes it feels like a black emptiness, and other times it is intertwined with a sense of nostalgia as though all time exists in a single moment and eternity simultaneously. I ache inwardly when thinking about time and am often aware of helplessly drifting along the passage of time like quietly falling through a cloud. I am aware of the impending loss of everything I know at some point in the future which is that sense of intense nostalgia viewed from every angle at once.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    We do have destiny to an extent.

Not absolute destiny, but a web of dependent causation. It's like two people who meet on a road. They didn't plan to meet, and did not know that the other was on the road, and both started travelling an hour ago. But because their paths intersect, if they do not change course they are destined to meet.
    That's inevitably.

If the two people continue to walk towards each other, they'd meet is an inevitably, not destiny.

Now if the two people were destined to meet, then there's already a point in time (in the future) that has them two meeting that the present hasn't gotten to, yet; just like the points in time (in the past) that has them both being born, and everything that's happened and everything that's going to happen is happening at two different points in time.

The whole thing is like that - billions of billions of things that happen only because billions of billions of other things set them up to happen. And there were endless things that set up the other things to happen. It's all going on at once.
    That'se cause and effect.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp

This thread made me remember this video. It's long, but very interesting if anyone has the time. Pun not intended.

Si-Ti loop ISFJ
    6w5 sp
    Lawful Neutral
    House Tully

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    That's inevitably.

If the two people continue to walk towards each other, they'd meet is an inevitably, not destiny.

Now if the two people were destined to meet, then there's already a point in time (in the future) that has them two meeting that the present hasn't gotten to, yet; just like the points in time (in the past) that has them both being born, and everything that's happened and everything that's going to happen is happening at two different points in time.

That'se cause and effect.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prat%C4...samutp%C4%81da

For a table to exist, we need wood, a carpenter, time, skillfulness, and many other causes. And each of these causes needs other causes to be. The wood needs the forest, the sunshine, the rain, and so on. The carpenter needs his parents, breakfast, fresh air, and so on. And each of those things, in turn, has to be brought about by other causes and conditions. If we continue to look in this way, we'll see that nothing has been left out. Everything in the cosmos has come together to bring us this table. Looking deeply at the sunshine, the leaves of the tree, and the clouds, we can see the table. The one can be seen in the all, and the all can be seen in the one. One cause is never enough to bring about an effect. A cause must, at the same time, be an effect, and every effect must also be the cause of something else. Cause and effect inter-are. The idea of first and only cause, something that does not itself need a cause, cannot be applied.

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prat%C4...samutp%C4%81da

For a table to exist, we need wood, a carpenter, time, skillfulness, and many other causes. And each of these causes needs other causes to be. The wood needs the forest, the sunshine, the rain, and so on. The carpenter needs his parents, breakfast, fresh air, and so on. And each of those things, in turn, has to be brought about by other causes and conditions. If we continue to look in this way, we'll see that nothing has been left out. Everything in the cosmos has come together to bring us this table. Looking deeply at the sunshine, the leaves of the tree, and the clouds, we can see the table. The one can be seen in the all, and the all can be seen in the one. One cause is never enough to bring about an effect. A cause must, at the same time, be an effect, and every effect must also be the cause of something else. Cause and effect inter-are. The idea of first and only cause, something that does not itself need a cause, cannot be applied.
    I get it, you want to dwell on something that many take for granted, that's cool. - Nothing happens by accident, or if it does happen to be an accident, there's a whole bunch of unseemingly relatable stuff that has lead up to something happening; with out tripping into the pool, I wouldn't be in the pool - for argument's sake, or if someone never built a pool there, I wouldn't be in the pool, in this me being in pool because I tripped scenario.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    I get it, you want to dwell on something that many take for granted, that's cool. - Nothing happens by accident, or if it does happen to be an accident, there's a whole bunch of unseemingly relatable stuff that has lead up to something happening; with out tripping into the pool, I wouldn't be in the pool - for argument's sake, or if someone never built a pool there, I wouldn't be in the pool, in this me being in pool because I tripped scenario.
    Yeah. I'm not saying that there's destiny in the sense of some grand cosmic scheme that plans things out for no apparent reason. Just that everything has a cause, and causes go way back. It's like if even one minor thing were different, all of history changes.

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Yeah. I'm not saying that there's destiny in the sense of some grand cosmic scheme that plans things out for no apparent reason. Just that everything has a cause, and causes go way back. It's like if even one minor thing were different, all of history changes.
    Just like butterfly wings cause tsunamis.

Anew Leaf

How have I never before found this glorious confection of a thread?

I visualize it all as a giant landscape. Events in the past are in one location... and future events show up like a cluster in another location.

It's like a landscape with actual land like features and maybe I am a road or a river... but everything can be illuminated. And future events are side tendrils of river that might possibly occur. Or branching of other roads. It changes. But overall I think of it as three dimensional space that I move around in.

MBTI
    yupp

in a loop
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so