User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Hugging Etiquette

Do you always hug people (back) when they initiate hugging you?

Do you hug people at all?

What happens with someone you do not like that tries to hug you? Do you limply return the hug? Snub them? What?

Do you rub peoples backs when you hug - or only if you are "into them like that"?

Do you hug people to say hello AND goodbye?

Is hugging awkward for you or natural? Or only natural with some people?

Feel free to share in general about your philosophy on hugging.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Not always. Depends how awkward I feel :P

I never initiate hugs.

What happens with someone you do not like that tries to hug you? Do you limply return the hug? Snub them? What?
    Well, it never happened that someone I really do not like hugged me, so I cannot say.

Do you rub peoples backs when you hug - or only if you are "into them like that"?
    Nah.

Only with one part of my family because they initiate it always

It is very awkward for me usually. I am already a bit (!) used to above mentioned family members since they do it anyway every time, but with other people I feel very awkward, but that's probably a general issue for me with the lack of trust and self-doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Yeah, I'd say.

Yes. Whenever I can.

This doesn't usually happen to me. I had one friend who really annoyed me for awhile though, and he would open his arms wide in this way like he wanted to be hugged, and I somehow felt compelled to hug him and I hated it so much. I can't really describe. Anyway, I don't feel that way any more. Probably because I don't feel so annoyed.

If I love the person/am saying goodbye for a long time. It could be a family member or a close friend. Some times I sort of wiggle a little bit and say mmmmm... (that sounds weird, but it's true).

Same as above.

Actually at the end of my first internship, I wanted to hug everyone goodbye and I told the other intern and asked if he thought it would be weird, and he said "well, that depends how you want to be remembered. If you want to be remembered like a little kid, then you should hug, but if you want to be remembered in a professional manner, then shaking hands is more appropriate." I felt a little bit sad but did the shaking hands, because I believed him about being professional.

I'd say only natural with some people. Rather, it's only awkward with some people.

Hugging is great for your mental/emotional/psychological well-being.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

I go ahead and hug whoever initiates it. It doesn't bother me and it doesn't seem awkward to me so I just do it. I'll pat the back or do whatever seems appropriate for the situation. I'm pretty sure that I've never initiated a hug in my entire life, though, with the exception of hugging a romantic partner. Even then, it's not a formal hug. It lasts longer and leads to other things. I just like physical affection with women. (But this usually only happens with someone I'm already in a relationship with. I never touch women unless I'm pretty sure it's okay - I've always thought was a big no-no.)

Beyond just wanting to touch the hot female body of someone I love, I think hugs make no sense and if other people didn't do it all the time, the idea would have never even occurred to me.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

When I was younger, I didn't snub the hugs, but I did the limp return hug. So that always felt awkward. But then I just started mirroring the hugs I was getting. If they do the pat/rub on the back thing, so do I, if it's a strong or weak hug, I do that.

Hug length can still be hard though. Some people don't let off until you start letting off. But if the other person is distressed or sad, they get extra allotted time!

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Do you always hug people (back) when they initiate hugging you? No.

Do you hug people at all? Rather not 99% of the time.

What happens with someone you do not like that tries to hug you? Do you limply return the hug? Snub them? What? They wouldn't, I don't give off a vibe that encourages it.

Do you rub peoples backs when you hug - or only if you are "into them like that"? No.

Do you hug people to say hello AND goodbye? Family are the only people who I really let hug me, so yep.

Is hugging awkward for you or natural? Or only natural with some people? Family and partner aside it's something I find uncomfortable more than awkward.

Feel free to share in general about your philosophy on hugging. Don't touch me.

MBTI
    INxJ

Depends.

Sometimes.

I step back. I tell them, "no, thank you".

I'm not sure what the last part means. I can only remember rubbing a back when the person is crying or really distressed and I'm close to them.

Not usually. If they initiate it and I'm comfortable, I follow their lead.

Awkward mostly, even with my family. It only feels natural if it's a close friend or lover. I prefer the handshake if it seems appropriate to make physical contact.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

yes

yep

i dont think that anyone i dont like ever hugged me. if someone would id probably just give brief hug back and try to get away as soon as possible

sometimes. is there some etiquette that if you rub someone back when hugging you like them "like that"?

i do this about 90% of times with female friends and rarely with male friends, usually only when they need a hug or if they are drunk enough to hug when i see them

quite natural, but in some situations and with some people it might be bit awkward to iniate hugging

hugging females is fun

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

Yes.

Yes, on a pretty regular basis, but only with certain people.

I don't think this happened to me, ever. I give off a rather stony vibe IRL.

Only if I really like/love someone and they're in need of comforting.

I don't, but someone outside my family used to do this with me. I liked it while it lasted. I wish she'd start doing it again.

Natural with some people.

My hugs are reserved for special people.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post

sometimes. is there some etiquette that if you rub someone back when hugging you like them "like that"?

[/B]
    LOL no, I think I was thinking about the difference between "sexy hugs" or "hugs with extra intent" versus "family hugs", "consoling hugs", "casual hugs" etc.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari