User Tag List

First 234

Do you always hug people (back) when they initiate hugging you?

-Yes

Do you hug people at all?

-Yes

What happens with someone you do not like that tries to hug you? Do you limply return the hug? Snub them? What?

-I give them a short half ass hug back.

Do you rub peoples backs when you hug - or only if you are "into them like that"?

-Only if they need it..if they are feeling down or something like that...and i have to know them too ofcoarse, otherwise that would just be weird. I feel a little violated when people do that to me and I dont know them that well.

Do you hug people to say hello AND goodbye?

-Yes, but sometimes when im in a weird mood and wont hug good bye again. I feel bad for making people feel awkward when that happens, I should be consistent lol.

Is hugging awkward for you or natural? Or only natural with some people?

-Hugs good bye are awkward sometimes for some weird reason. Its always natural when saying hello though.

Feel free to share in general about your philosophy on hugging.

-Hugs are usually always a warm welcome . But the other night some stranger at a friends house asked me for a hug....he thought i felt out of place and thought i needed one I guess. I gave him a half ass hug...it was weird. He tried to make it a good hug...but it didnt feel right lol.

I can't even remember when it was the last time when I did any kind of a hug.
    So I can't tell to be honest.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I can't even remember when it was the last time when I did any kind of a hug.
    So I can't tell to be honest.
    that should do it
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    INFP

Yes.

I'm usually just reciprocating rather than initiating, but sure.

What happens with someone you do not like that tries to hug you? Do you limply return the hug? Snub them? What?
    I can't remember this ever happening. I like most people, to an extent, and I don't give off huggable vibes. I'd probably just be courteous and hug them back.

Do you rub peoples backs when you hug - or only if you are "into them like that"
    ?
    If a man is hugging me I'll slap him on the back as a way of saying "sure we're hugging, but I'm still hitting you." Rubbing women on the back seems awkward, particularly because of bra-related complications.

If they are into that kind of thing, you bet.

Natural with most people, although sometimes it takes a few hugs with someone new to establish some kind of protocol.

I wish people were more receptive to it. I rarely initiate out of fear of making someone uncomfortable, but I would like to hug more people regularly. With the right people, hugging is a great connection.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Yeah. I'm a hugger.

Yeah. I'm a hugger.

What blankpages said:
    Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    I give them a brief, limp, one-arm thing to be polite. I don't like it much, but it isn't worth making into a big deal.
    Do you rub peoples backs when you hug - or only if you are "into them like that"?
    I don't do back-rubbing mid-hug.

Yes!

I guess only natural with some people, but it's generally okay with anyone who qualifies as a friend and doesn't hate hugging.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by yourfriendjaneen View Post
    Yes. Unless I'm in a rush, otherwise I reciprocate, Unless it's someone I don't want hugging me, then, in the words of Michael Jackson.. " BEAT IT!"

Yes. Only my best friends, or if someone is leaving for a long period of time. I.e: a Long trip/vacation.

depends on who. If it's a female, its quick, one tap on the back.

If it's a guy, I close my arms, or not hug them back and let them dangle, also keep your crotch away from me.

Only if it's my bestfriends, and they need comfort and reassurance. I'll rub till it's raw. x)

Again, Only my best-friends hahahaha.

Otherwise, that would be weird and tiresome.

It's really awkward overall for me...

Sometimes, it's just right though.

MBTI
    INTx

No.

There was no hugging in my family as I was raised. Seeing other people hug always seemed a little odd. I'm not comfortable with touching in general.

MBTI
    GONE

Default Thankee

I'm gonna answer my own thread! The answers so far have been illuminating and sometimes really funny

Yes...sometimes limply if I'm surprised. Though I recently had some things happen that made me think about my 'hugging policy' and start this thread.

Yes, it seems like a natural and even expected way to greet people.

Oh man, this is the question I need help answering - i.e. how *should* I respond?

I was caught off guard by some Women I Really Don't Like and an ex (I don't want to see) hugging me - all in the same freaking night - recently. Caught me very off guard.

They initiated hugs...why?? Why???

It feels fake to/of me to hug back and 'accept' their hug when I honestly can't stand them and do not even want to be interacting with them.

I think sometimes I rub backs...So many of my friends are "huggers" and some do this too.

With friends, yes! Others...it's sporadic.

It feels naturally awkward/awkwardly natural.

I like hugs, getting over my non-touchy feely nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    No.

There was no hugging in my family as I was raised. Seeing other people hug always seemed a little odd. I'm not comfortable with touching in general.
    I was raised in a similar no-hug environment but my friends now mostly hug - to say hello as well as to say goodbye. I think I was and am a naturally warm/expressive person but this was quashed by my upbringing and environment until I struck out on my own. It took a while to 'thaw out' (har har har) and I'm still in the process of figuring out what is 'natural' to me.

Now being an NF goofball sometimes I feel compulsions to hug people multiple times just because I'm so happy to see them/say goodbye.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Yes, but the degree to which I do will vary accordingly as to where that person is on the continuum of "I Wouldn't Piss On You if You Were On Fire" to "I Love You Dearly."

Yup! I'm a hugger!

I fart. Then I smile.

I'm not rubber, I'm a hugger. The one person that will hold onto me and rub my back when she hugs me is my Mother, and she is entitled, and I hold on as long as she does.

If I am sincerely glad to see someone they will most likely get a bear hug and lose contact with the ground.

It depends.

It's natural to me, but I don't go cuckoo bananas with it. Allowing someone into your personal space, which is within three feet of your body, is considered an act of trust. That's why shaking someone's hand is a simple act of trust. Hugging is a step further into that continuum, I believe. If someone wanted to do you great harm, it would be very easy for them to if they had immediate bodily contact to your torso, neck, and face. So, we implicitly trust those that we hug/allow to hug us.

When I hug Mrs. Halla my hips get involved and then the walls start taking a beating. Those are my favorite hugs of all.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    469 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Yes, the intensity of the hug depends on how close I am to you though

Of course

Hmm, well I dont think this has happened before, but if it were to I'd probably limply return the hug for like 2 seconds lol

I find that to be a comforting gesture, or when you're really happy to see them, so I'd do that to anyone I'm close with if I felt they needed it.

If they're okay with it yes, and probably only with close friends/family/a lover. As a kid I did all the time, now I just smile and wave awkwardly lol

Both, it's awkwardly natural!

I love hugging, I'm a hugger. But I'm also really shy so I'm hesitant to do it
    I only ask to be free. The butterflies are free...

Johari
    Nohari