User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Do you always hug people (back) when they initiate hugging you?
    Generally, yes.

Do you hug people at all?
    If you mean "take the initiative and hug", generally (but not always) no. I don't think I've ever refused a hug, though.

What happens with someone you do not like that tries to hug you? Do you limply return the hug? Snub them? What?
    I don't think this has ever happened. I don't give a very approachable vibe, so people I'm not close to don't even try (even when they're hugging everyone else in the room).

Do you rub peoples backs when you hug - or only if you are "into them like that"?
    No, not really. In an "into them like that" situation, perhaps.

Do you hug people to say hello AND goodbye?
    Depends on the person. If I'm going to hug them at all, I have no objections to the hi-hug and the bye-hug.

Is hugging awkward for you or natural? Or only natural with some people?
    Natural. But I'm selective .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Yes.

All the time.

What happens with someone you do not like that tries to hug you? Do you limply return the hug? Snub them? What?
    Usually I return with a 'wimpy' hug, very light, very unfeeling. I may pat their back with one hand as opposed to wrapping both arms securely around them.

Do you rub peoples backs when you hug - or only if you are "into them like that"?
    I don't think I'm a back rubber. :/ Sounds kind of icky for a casual hug.

Depending on our degree of closeness, yes. But if we're not close, it's generally just a hug goodbye.

Hugging is only awkward for me if I don't really know you, or don't like you. Otherwise it feels pretty natural.
    a little less conversation, a little more action please
    . captain's blog.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Feel free to share in general about your philosophy on hugging.
    I generally only hug people if

1. They hug me, or
    2. I'm really good friends with them, and they've hugged me in the past.

I never want to be the first person to hug, in a friendship/relationship, because I don't want to do anything "wrong" socially. So, I only hug when I know that it's okay to hug. Precedent first!

It's the same as with nicknames. I never give people nicknames - I call them by their full names until they, or someone else, tells me that they go by something else. I don't think I've ever uttered the phrase "Can I call you ___?"
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Do you always hug people (back) when they initiate hugging you? Usually

Do you hug people at all? I do. It took awhile to get comfortable with it.

What happens with someone you do not like that tries to hug you? Do you limply return the hug? Snub them? What? If I don't like them they don't hug me.

Do you rub peoples backs when you hug - or only if you are "into them like that"? Only the kids and ENFJ man.

Do you hug people to say hello AND goodbye? Not both.

Is hugging awkward for you or natural? Or only natural with some people? Not natural to me. Unless it's a kid or an animal.

Feel free to share in general about your philosophy on hugging. I think it's overused personally.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Yes, i do.
    Yes, frequently. I feel awkward if i don't and the person/people are relevant.
    I tend to hug back, but it's less likely to be a lengthy hug. I won't initiate very often with people i don't like.
    Sometimes. It's more of a consoling action or for people i haven't seen in a long time.
    Yes-sir!
    Natural in almost all cases. It only becomes awkward if i can't gauge the other person.

Hmm. I've had to get a few people used to hugging, which is interesting. My group of friends is the sort that hugs constantly. It's strange if we run into people who aren't used to that, but we appear alien to them.
    My family is certainly like that too. Everyone should just be happy that i don't keep up the cheek-kissing trend past my family
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Not if I don't like them.
    I only hug people who are very, very close to me. I don't even really like hugging friends. If I start hugging someone, it means I really trust and like them, but if someone starts hugging me I usually let them if I like them, even though it feels awkward to me.
    I push them away.
    I don't know, maybe I do, maybe I don't. I never payed attention to it.
    No. That has it's own awkward rituals.
    It's only natural with epople I'm really, really close to.
    Hugging is probably the most intimate a person can do. Everyone kisses random people at bars and sex is so unspecial you can even buy it. But hugs are the most special things you can give someone, it's a sign of trust and friendship.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

yup!

I am a hugging machine, I hug everyone.

I hug them right back, I know that when I want a hug I dont care who hugs me so who am I to deny a hug

I rub peoples back and if we are really close like family or best friends I will grab their hair, nothing sexual I just feel close to them.

yea I will say hello and goodbye while hugging to

100% natural I was hugged a lot as a kid and even as I grew up thats what we did

When I am sad or angry there is nothing better then to be hugged, be by a loved one or a stranger.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I am a selective hugger, but pretty comfortable with it as long as it seems the motives for hugging are not creepy. I'm not much of a back rubber during hugs unless it's with an SO or maybe in the occasional case of someone very close to me dealing with grief so difficult that comfort is best conveyed in that form. I'm not usually the initiator unless I know someone well, just because I don't want to impose and am not sure of their comfort levels. As a result, some people have told me that I give off don't touch me vibes, although I seem warm and frequently almost touch them.

It really depends on the person initiating the hug (or physical touch) and how much it is a part of their personality, the context, their comfort with it or their reasons for doing it that makes me respond in one way or another. It isn't necessarily based on how long I've known someone. If I don't care to be hugged, I will try to make it a side hug or do the A frame back pat. I'd prefer though if I feel strongly against hugging the person to just manipulate circumstances so that it would be very difficult to hug me. I've probably gotten less concerned about being rude than I used to be, particularly if I have made it clear to the other person that I do not want to hug them.

I think maybe hugging is a bit of a generational thing - for example, my mother doesn't feel that hugging people (especially of the opposite sex) hello and goodbye is appropriate. However, most of the people my age would naturally do that rather than shake hands in some contexts and I feel fine with doing that. I don't tend to be really huggy with people who have an SO and dislike the hugging everyone hello at church thing that some people do. The other week though, I saw a bunch of music instructors at a workshop, whom I hadn't seen for quite awhile. It seemed perfectly appropriate to warmly hug them all hello and good-bye. During university I was annoyed though at the people in our music department that wanted to hug several times a day. It just seemed either artificial or overkill. I probably would hug a family member or SO most days though as they walked out the door.

I spent a few summers in Quebec and at first felt really weird about doing the kiss kiss thing in greeting and good-bye which is standard there, even when first meeting people. I realized after though that it is actually nice - warmer and more hygenic than a handshake, yet less body contact than a hug. I had never really thought about how reserved English Canada is compared to French Canada in that way. I also found that in general the French Canadians I know are much more touchy than most people here would naturally be, touching an arm, hand or leg to emphasize a point etc.

When I lived in Madison, Wisconsin, I was surprised at how many younger/university age people still frequently would shake hands all around when meeting someone their own age. That seems to have largely disappeared (at least in my area of the country) among people my age, unless in a formal or professional setting.

I always wondered how the one cheek kiss greeting works for people (eg two women friends or guest on talk show etc) and if that's a real life thing, or just mostly in movies/TV.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i don't really like hugs except for with someone i'm dating and sometimes my mom or sisters.

i don't mind casual hello/goodbye hugs from close friends but they're very nonchalant casual 2 sec hugs.

and if someone tried to hug me that i wasn't close to i would pull back.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP

I agree with Fidelia. I don't mind hugging, and don't make a big deal out of it, but I hate the creepy excuse-to-touch-you hug. I will try to make it clear with body language that they should not proceed, or I'll throw a hand out for them to shake. If they're pervs, they should be used to that sort of thing.

I hate hugging people who give you the limp hug or the tepid backpat. Gross. Don't hug me if that's what you want to do. It makes me want to shudder afterwards.

I really hate people who want to casually kiss you on the lips. Who thinks that is okay?
    Something Witty