123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default What is my type? (or not)

I was emailing someone and said something about "it's all about the experiences." They decided they needed to try to retype me with MBTI. We weren't discussing MBTI, they just felt they had to "help" me with my typing. Why do people feel the need to "help" people with their type even when they aren't asking for it? Is it the number of people who are actually asking for input on the forum making them think they should "suggest" things? Is it that they feel they understand typology better than other people?

Having people guess my type so wildly on the forum has made it obvious to me that you really can't type other people from forum posts. I know it's possible to get an idea of what people are like but the idea of jumping into a conversation with "we need to correct your type" seems very off.

Do you like to guess if people are wrong about their type, even if they aren't asking for input?

Do you tend to think a lot of people on the forum are wrong about their type?

Do you think you are an expert in MBTI/typology/functions?

Do you think you know more than most people on the forum about MBTI/typology/functions?

Why do you think people feel the need to "help" people with their type even when they aren't asking for it?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

It's not polite to tell someone that they're wrong about their type... you can ask them why they think that they are their type and discuss that, but telling them that they're wrong is pretty much like saying "you don't know sh!t about yourself!"

I think that when people are wrong it's generally either because they took some silly test online, or that they don't fully understand the building blocks of personality types and fall for the stereotypes and peer pressure... I think that some people would be horrified if they realized how much Se/Si they actually use... but if they understood it better they wouldn't be upset at all.... no function is inferior to any other function- that attitude causes a lot of people to misunderstand their type and others' types

however, I do have faith that with time and education people generally end up settling on the right type for themselves... other people might occasionally be a good sounding board, but I wouldn't trust someone else's opinion of who I really am
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

I have seen people try and "help" others in this forum by typing them, and they even used those words. "I'm just trying to help you."
    I watched someone stalk another person on their wall, insisting they were a certain type.

If there is someone out there who would actually say to you, "We need to correct your type,"
    they need to seek some form of psychological counseling to explore why they have such an unhealthy addiction to controlling others.
    And yes, it is about controlling others. They just don't see it.

No one needs to correct anything about you.
    They need to correct something about themselves.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    It's not polite to tell someone that they're wrong about their type... you can ask them why they think that they are their type and discuss that, but telling them that they're wrong is pretty much like saying "you don't know sh!t about yourself!"

I think that when people are wrong it's generally either because they took some silly test online, or that they don't fully understand the building blocks of personality types and fall for the stereotypes and peer pressure... I think that some people would be horrified if they realized how much Se/Si they actually use... but if they understood it better they wouldn't be upset at all.... no function is inferior to any other function- that attitude causes a lot of people to misunderstand their type and others' types

however, I do have faith that with time and education people generally end up settling on the right type for themselves... other people might occasionally be a good sounding board, but I wouldn't trust someone else's opinion of who I really am
    aww...i'm sorry whatevs was just being purposely obnoxious when i called you an entp...forgive me?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it's not a problem... no matter what type I choose people object! ... anyways, on this forum I should take an accusation of being an N as a compliment
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

i hate when people try to do this, and not just with MBTI types. being in a wheelchair, i used to get overly helpful reactions quite a bit. it doesn't happen as often anymore now that i'm older, thank god.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

you do have crazy high ne tho...so i was just picking up on that.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

second highest function... Se is harder to see online, so it's understandable

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

right...for sure...i'm a se user too really but yeah probably can't tell on here.
    -Jim Morrison

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah... I have a feeling that a lot more people happily use N functions who are Ss or use S functions and are Ns than anyone knows from an internet forum... it's best to use both