User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 44

  1. #1
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default If you could pick a different city besides New York to represent the US...

    Which city would it be?

    I've often heard from people that New York has become an entity in itself and is rather disconnected from... everything, I guess. Or super-connected. Probably both at the same time. The idea of NYC as representative of the US as a whole is a bit outdated to some.

    So, pick a city, any city! Just justify your answer Let's have some fun with this -- it doesn't even have to be in the US.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  2. #2
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    As an outsider I see Calif as more representitive.

  3. #3
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    Chicago
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  4. #4
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    As an outsider I see Calif as more representitive.
    You gotta justify it, and California isn't a city.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  5. #5
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    San Francisco.. still as cosmopolitan/melting pot, cultured, but better weather. You lose old school history, but to hell with it.

  6. #6
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    San Francisco.. still as cosmopolitan/melting pot, cultured, but better weather. You lose old school history, but to hell with it.
    Old school history, to hell with it indeed! American history is mercifully short.

    And Frisco had an emperor, didn't they?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  7. #7
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    You gotta justify it, and California isn't a city.
    I'm not saying it should be, I'm saying it is. Movies and TV are reality, right?

  8. #8
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The idea of NYC as representative of the US as a whole is a bit outdated to some.

    So, pick a city, any city! Just justify your answer Let's have some fun with this -- it doesn't even have to be in the US.
    I think San Fransisco would probably be a popular choice (I wouldn't mind living there myself), but I think that someplace like Denver, Dallas, Atlanta, or Minneapolis is probably closer to representative. A large city that's subject to sprawl and live-in-the-car suburban culture in a way that isn't quite so much the case in NY or SF. There are probably a lot of cities that would fit the bill, but I'd not really include NY among them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #9
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    I picked Chicago for a variety of reasons... corrupt but fascinating politics, an industrial past, the fact that it's in the midwest (the land of mom, baseball, apple pie and sunday school!), it has every type of suburb imaginable and it has a core that's a real stereotypical city... and it also has 2 baseball teams, one of which is the cubs
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #10
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I think San Fransisco would probably be a popular choice (I wouldn't mind living there myself), but I think that someplace like Denver, Dallas, Atlanta, or Minneapolis is probably closer to representative. A large city that's subject to sprawl and live-in-the-car suburban culture in a way that isn't quite so much the case in NY or SF. There are probably a lot of cities that would fit the bill, but I'd not really include NY among them.

    Chicago it is, then, it's like New York only without the culture and public transit.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 08-28-2012, 09:07 PM
  2. If you could test drive a different type for one day...
    By Affably Evil in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 01-24-2011, 07:37 PM
  3. If You Could Write the Fortunes in the Cookies
    By Oberon in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 08:25 PM
  4. If you could...
    By Owl in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 01:41 PM
  5. If you could go back in time, would you authorize the existence of Israel?
    By meanlittlechimp in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 07:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO