User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    FREE

There's crass humor, satire, sharp wit, etc., all enjoyable forms of entertainment. Then there is that awkward stuff from left field: the kind of stuff that the strange kid with no friends says when he interjects into you and your buddy's previously funny and not-awkward conversation.

I don't know, sometimes when reading through those threads I'm reminded of those super duper antisocial creepers from high school. I wish I could cite a few examples, but doing so would be incredibly rude, insensitive, and probably get me into trouble; so I'll have to just stick with this.

Thought I would put it out there and see if anyone else agrees. Typically this type of inquiry is used to find people with whom one shares ideals/interests/styles/etc. This thread is not atypical.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I certainly see this. I think a lot of it is, as was stated,is just a fun creative activity. Most of the really odd humor, what I see anyway, is usually something the people understand, an inside joke.

Maybe some of the people were the weird kid in high school, maybe they weren't, but if they have fun with it... you know?
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I don't know, sometimes when reading through those threads I'm reminded of those super duper antisocial creepers from high school. I wish I could cite a few examples, but doing so would be incredibly rude, insensitive, and probably get me into trouble; so I'll have to just stick with this.
    I haven't noticed much of that, at least not recently. Why does what other people might think of you bother you you so much, if you truly believe others are being antisocial and creepy?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Why does what other people might think of you bother you you so much, if you truly believe others are being antisocial and creepy?
    Not sure how this topic relates to this thread; nor am I sure of what you mean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Not sure how this topic relates to this thread; nor am I sure of what you mean.
    I don't know why it's so hard to understand. You just said you're concerned that you might be viewed negatively by others for citing examples of what you considered to be creepy or antisocial posting. This relates back to the discomfort you expressed with the threads in the Op, so it appears highly relevant to me.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I don't know why it's so hard to understand. You just said you're concerned that you might be viewed negatively by others for citing examples of what you considered to be creepy or antisocial posting. This relates back to the discomfort you expressed with the threads in the Op, so it appears highly relevant to me.
    Ah, so you were looking at my reluctance to cite specific examples as being related to my discomfort with the style of humor that is sometimes displayed in "above member" threads on TypologyCentral. Well, I definitely do not wish to hurt anyone's feelings by singling them out as having an (in my opinion) unusual and/or unrelatable sense of humor. Also, I believe that by doing so I may make myself a target for a mod beatdown. As for that being related to me thinking that some of those posters have a dorky sense of humor, well, I'm not sure. Do you think there is a connection?

Edit:

Also, have you ever had a class with one of those people who talks to the teacher about random topics (during class), which are seemingly unrelated to the subject at hand? The kind of person where the teacher will eventually just start to ignore him/her because the person is so out there? I get the same vibe from some of those posters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

so the problem is that you don't appreciate nonsequiters?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Edit:

Also, have you ever had a class with one of those people who talks to the teacher about random topics (during class), which are seemingly unrelated to the subject at hand? The kind of person where the teacher will eventually just start to ignore him/her because the person is so out there? I get the same vibe from some of those posters.

Yes, as a matter of fact I have, and it is entirely obnoxious. I have found however it is typically people who just want to sound smart and 'heard' over being 'out there.'

However, something I was thinking about was that, maybe the people that rub you the wrong way on here (your discretion is kind, as you know) don't act the way they do here as they do IRL. There is the anonymity that allows for the freedom that some may feel they are not afforded in front of others. So while, there may be the 'random and absurd' (my quotes, obviously not yours) on here, it may not be on display all the time for others to see. Therefore the 'creepiness' factor is not an issue except for online. I mean people still have to function in life, and obviously you cannot do that spouting insanity, even if one is thinking it.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    so the problem is that you don't appreciate nonsequiters?
    It's not a problem. This thread is not a rant, or a call to action. I was simply inquiring as to how many others have found some of the responses in those threads to be rather unusual, sometimes to the point of .

I do appreciate a clever non sequitur; even though the very nature of them is contrary to the core of the INTP. Actually, I believe they're used quite often in shows like Family Guy, Southpark, and The Simpsons (all shows I watch and enjoy).

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyjsZ4LS6Sw"]Non Sequitur[/YOUTUBE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wonder what happened to nonsequitur. I liked her posts.