User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

logic cannot be illogical since they're opposites, but it's unintelligent to rely on logic alone because it cannot explain emotions, math can measure the structure but not the essence, truth is nothing without spirit.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by foolish heart View Post
    logic cannot be illogical since they're opposites, but it's unintelligent to rely on logic alone because it cannot explain emotions, math can measure the structure but not the essence, truth is nothing without spirit.
    / thread
    I N V I C T U S

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Logic is simply perspective.. One man's logic is anothers insanity and so on.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Illogical?
    Logic is always the logic of assumptions. So while it is important to be able to think logically, it is more important to learn how to question assumptions.

If your society tells you history is bunk, and your very language has been cut of from its roots, then your logic will be applied to these assumptions.

Socrates questioned assumptions and they gave him hemlock to drink. And of course they do the same today.

I have often wondered why. And I think it is because we take our assumptions for granted, and to question them shakes the ground under our feet.

So the secret of questioning assumptions is to be shaken but not stirred.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

The main case I've heard most frequently quoted, has been called several things so far... I've heard it called catgirl logic, dragon logic, and 'shiny thinking'. All three are basically the same thing.

The basic form of logic is actually quite highly logical and makes total sense... but only to the individual in question usually. The 'shiny thinking' is probably the most appropriate description because it basically goes along the lines of "Yeu're thinking along and then go OOOH SHINY! and immediately divert attention to that". So yeur mind changes gears constantly, pouncing onto anything that seems remotely related.

Let's say I'm talking about spaceships, but in the back of my mind it's running through shuttle, to UFO's, abductions of cattle, then there was that movie dumbo drop where they had to airlift an elephant in a herc, then there was that episode of mythbusters where they showed elephants really WERE scared of mice... or at least cautious about them enough to avoid them.

This's a perfectly reasonable line of logical thought. The thing is, the information is being jumped at, at the first thing yeu see that seems connected or interesting. It's like reading wikipedia and opening every 3rd link and yet trying to stay on topic XD

However, the person thinking this way doesn't EXPLAIN whot's going on in their mind to get to the final point. Yeu may be talking about the space shuttle's speed, and they may suddenly blurt out that the mole men are coming to gnaw on it's wings for they are afraid of flight and have developed a cult following which believes that flight will bring the wrath of the gods upon them :O

Which... is only really one step away from mice, and toss in that the shuttle looks like a plane and that odd joke about "There was a guy yelling out front of the plane earlier that if god wanted man to fly he would've given us wings... and it was the pilot O.o "

But yeah, this's logical reasoning, one step leading to the next through obvious connection (at least to those of us who can follow that line of reasoning XD ), and quite seemingly illogical to any bystanders nearby =3

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Basically, since the concept in question is a contradiction, the only way people have found to answer it is through using equivocation (which is a rhetorical fallacy, it would so happen).
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Logic is illogical if a person has a different perpective from the the other person thus would arrive at a completely different conclusion from the other person. If the other person is sooo convince that he or she is right, he or she would perceive the other person to be illogical. Facts and events are seen differently, people have different learning style, and filter informations using different principles and values. How can you expect for everyone to arrive to the same conclusion?

How can you determine if you're not bias when you can't account for what goes on in your subconcious? Say your a number and your fairly lenient on your view about any given subject. We will use 1-8 as a measurement of how you view any given ideas or events and the importantance of said ideas or events. Say your a four because your neutral about said event or ideas. So your logic would look like this:

4x + 4y + 4z = ?

The variables represent the subconcious evaluation of those ideas or events and everything you perceive gets filter through your subconcious. The conclusion would change significantly from someone even if you both agree that you view everything in a neutral state. You won't always know if your subconcious agrees with how you conciously feel. Now if the constant varies by a little, the conclusion would change significantly.

3x + 5y + 4z = ?

Now this is only simple reasoning, but we cannot determine if our logic is the most absolute because we cannot know for sure that we are viewing everything in an unbias position. We haven't taken account all the experiences that can change the constants or the facts and how accurate we view those facts that led us to the conclusion.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

logic is illogical if people believe humanity is built on a foundation of logic - it's not - humans are messy, messy people - the foundation of humanity is a fucking mess

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Illogical?
    When it is based on false assumptions. In that case there can be fragments of logic within a larger illogical framework.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    When it is based on false assumptions. In that case there can be fragments of logic within a larger illogical framework.
    This

Any logical construct rests on the foundation of its premises. If these are not sound, the whole structure collapses or is unstable.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...