User Tag List

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Everyone should have their mind blown...

at least once a week. And it should be with a simple concept so you can mull over why you didn't realize it sooner.

Wonders never cease

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

it's been a while since my mind has been blown....

anyone here up to the task?
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

...waits for the inevitable mind/head joke.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    at least once a week. And it should be with a simple concept so you can mull over why you didn't realize it sooner.
    I'm not sure that once a week is a good idea - I'm not sure it's even realistic.

We need a certain amount of time to integrate new ideas - that can mean adjusting or completely discarding old ones, and fitting existing data into the new models. One week isn't enough time to do that, at least in my case.

I prefer more of a punctuated equilibrium model - new data accumulate, which allows you to refine your existing models. Once in a while, a change occurs that requires a realignment. This pattern is sort of fractal, in that it occurs similarly over multiple levels of scale - major adjustments to minor models are minor adjustments to major models, and across different time scales major models have to be adjusted with an equally radical realignment.

If you just proceed from mind-blow to mind-blow without taking the opportunity to integrate, you're not really learning anything. The mind-blows themselves even become artificial, because you don't really have a model in place to invalidate, just a series of somewhat fuzzily connected, but not well thought out, images of the way things might be.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

MBTI
    INTP

If you want your mind blown:
    • You must keep it open.
    • It helps to abandon your inhibitions.
    • The first time is always the most memorable.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertSpace View Post
    I'm not sure that once a week is a good idea - I'm not sure it's even realistic.

We need a certain amount of time to integrate new ideas - that can mean adjusting or completely discarding old ones, and fitting existing data into the new models. One week isn't enough time to do that, at least in my case.

I prefer more of a punctuated equilibrium model - new data accumulate, which allows you to refine your existing models. Once in a while, a change occurs that requires a realignment. This pattern is sort of fractal, in that it occurs similarly over multiple levels of scale - major adjustments to minor models are minor adjustments to major models, and across different time scales major models have to be adjusted with an equally radical realignment.

If you just proceed from mind-blow to mind-blow without taking the opportunity to integrate, you're not really learning anything. The mind-blows themselves even become artificial, because you don't really have a model in place to invalidate, just a series of somewhat fuzzily connected, but not well thought out, images of the way things might be.
    I've always thought that a mind-blow was exactly what you explained above condensed into this one revolutionary orgasm in your brain. That's what makes it so great, it's a perfect aha! moment. I like that feeling when all becomes clear and purposed.

Why I said it should happened more frequently is because when your mind gets blown, it doesn't have to be something that will fundamentally change your life. They are little times when you're reminded that you really haven't gotten close to anything figured out. They're humbling moments. So I don't know how frequently they should happen, but they shouldn't be so rare that I'm completely floored when they do. I needed to sit down after this last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah
    ...waits for the inevitable mind/head joke.
    I know right? I set this up for that alternate purpose.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

My mind is already blown, thanks to Ni. Hence, I don't need drugs to induce me into such states.
    What I actually need are ways to control such flows of ideas.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.