User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default How do you define intuition??

I am curious how you actually definite Intuition? How is it different from Sensing??

Intuition - The act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition.

Sensing - An intuitive or acquired perception or ability to estimate.

Can you give personal examples please.

I'll give an example and you tell me which it is. I looked in the cupboard and saw some alcohol which had been there for some time and thought about mentioning it to my partner when he finished work to help his body relax. He rang an hour or two later to tell me he was going out to have a drink after work with some colleagues. He rarely goes out so it's not a predictable moment. Is this sensing or intuition??

Thank you
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Phantonym

Neither. It's a coincidence.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Lol .. Smart answer.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Did you mix those two up in the OP or is it just me?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I googled the definitions and those came up .. That's why i was curious and posed the question.
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Remember, the MBTI system relies on careful and specific definitions. Words may have multiple definitions or a broader context, so you need to look at how they define the words.

From The Myers & Briggs Foundation, I found this (after searching for "mbti sensing vs intuition")

Sensing (S)

Paying attention to physical reality, what I see, hear, touch, taste, and smell. I’m concerned with what is actual, present, current, and real. I notice facts and I remember details that are important to me. I like to see the practical use of things and learn best when I see how to use what I’m learning. Experience speaks to me louder than words.

The following statements generally apply to me:

• I remember events as snapshots of what actually happened.
    • I solve problems by working through facts until I understand the problem.
    • I am pragmatic and look to the “bottom line.”
    • I start with facts and then form a big picture.
    • I trust experience first and trust words and symbols less.
    • Sometimes I pay so much attention to facts, either present or past, that I miss new possibilities.

Intuition (N)

Paying the most attention to impressions or the meaning and patterns of the information I get. I would rather learn by thinking a problem through than by hands-on experience. I’m interested in new things and what might be possible, so that I think more about the future than the past. I like to work with symbols or abstract theories, even if I don’t know how I will use them. I remember events more as an impression of what it was like than as actual facts or details of what happened.

The following statements generally apply to me:

• I remember events by what I read “between the lines” about their meaning.
    • I solve problems by leaping between different ideas and possibilities.
    • I am interested in doing things that are new and different.
    • I like to see the big picture, then to find out the facts.
    • I trust impressions, symbols, and metaphors more than what I actually experienced.
    • Sometimes I think so much about new possibilities that I never look at how to make them a reality

So, in your OP, that's not really what N/S is...
    Intuition is the supra-logic that cuts out all the routine processes of thought and leaps straight from the problem to the answer.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Something made up as an excuse for people to jump to ridiculous conclusions.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Something made up as an excuse for people to jump to ridiculous conclusions.
    That's ridiculous! You're just jealous.

Oh, OP: my signature is also a clever description
    Intuition is the supra-logic that cuts out all the routine processes of thought and leaps straight from the problem to the answer.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by alakazam View Post
    Remember, the MBTI system relies on careful and specific definitions. Words may have multiple definitions or a broader context, so you need to look at how they define the words.\
    Right....MBTI usage of these words is different from the layman's usage.
    Kind of how "feeling" in casual talk often equates to emotion, but in MBTI it refers to a rational reasoning cognitive function.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I am curious how you actually definite Intuition? How is it different from Sensing??

Intuition - The act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition.

Sensing - An intuitive or acquired perception or ability to estimate.

Can you give personal examples please.

I would say Intuition is the bridge that connects edges that logic cannot cross.

well, to be practical, Intuition, at least for me...is one of those "Eureka" moments...when the answer/solution to a problem/issue just pops right up, without any complicated mental algebra. But being a T, i usually use my T to go over the answer/solution intuition gives me, to ensure that it is indeed valid; before i act on it.

Intuition is like looking at a multiple choice answer-question, and thinking "this must be the answer", without even working at the problem. We, then have to work the problem(usually plugging in the value) just to make sure that the intuition is correct.

Another example would be when one plays a complex strategy game(on a computer). And the game might have many variables and parameters , all of it affecting the system somehow. but sometimes, at a given situation we get a "intuitive" inspiration of what to do, in order to achieve the required results/state. If we were to look at such a problem in a purely mathematical/logical way...it will take a huge amount of time to work our way through all possible permutations and combination's to find the most ideal answer...but with intuition, we are "shown" an answer...which we can test to ensure that its valid.

maybe its a subconscious way of sorting through data at a very high speed.Still prone to more error than a plodding logical approach, but far far faster...especially when the speed gain far outweighs any loss of accuracy (which , once arrived at, can be refined by the use of T)

oh...i just remembered something as i was typing this...

Maybe intuition can be compared to "Quicksort", a "Divide and conquer" type algorithm. It quickly splits available data into smaller and smaller sizes, does the sorting in the smaller parts...rather than going over the entire thing again and again.

Quicksort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.