User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

If we're just invisible and yet they can hear us, couldn't we just convince the slaughtering party that they're schizophrenic or something?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    You get to witness their cries and screams and the look of confusion and fear in the eyes of the children...
    Are the children being killed during the raid?

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I would kill the slaughtering party, not because I had to, but because I would want to.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

I think it would be neat to go full-disclosure to the village, and help them evacuate.

There is not enough data about what happens afterwards to give a detailed answer.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Interesting. So you would have knowledge of how to control squirrels to do your bidding, as well as attach lasers to their eyes.
    As a matter of fact, yes. As a member of the really powerful entities community, you get alot of free time on your hand. So as a hobby, I like to train squarrels and attach laser on their eyes.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

Yes. It results in you being eliminated though, and the timeline you influenced being reset back to its original state before you 'stepped-in' and started influencing it.

If you have to choose such an end, may I then ask why?
    Combination of refusal to be manipulated, suspicion as to the higher entity's motives (and real powers) for wanting to make *me* responsible for a change in the course of history, and a general preference for non-intervention and seeing how things pan out.

I assume that I wouldn't have known (going by the original gameset) that this choice would result in my death; I would've chosen it, no question. If I did know what the result would be for me, then I'd probably deliberate a bit more, but still choose it. If I did survive whatever choice I made, I wouldn't feel responsible for the outcome of the situation in any case, as this higher entity was clearly manipulating me, despite they themselves being in possession of more information about it, they chose to make an ignorant outsider take it on. So even if whatever I chose screwed up the world forever, I'd hold THEM responsible, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    If we're just invisible and yet they can hear us, couldn't we just convince the slaughtering party that they're schizophrenic or something?
    I like it! I'm seeing Gandalf in The Hobbit, whispering to the trolls to make them argue amongst each other til the sun comes up
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Quote Originally Posted by veins View Post
    If I can use the process of elimination, then I would cycle through all of the choices and choose the one which will lead to the less crapsack dystopian future. Supposing I'm able to reset the event over and over again from whichever point I choose to in my life, after doing my research, and still retain my experiences and memories from the paths I've chosen, and the outcome of the choices don't hold any bearing to the event which caused those outcomes.

That's perfectly fine. But you do understand that you have no way to know for certain the choice that will lead to the less 'crapsack dystopian future'. You can only come up with a system that you think predicts everything from the limited information you have and go by that, which I'm assuming is what you are saying you would do then.

Sure. What goal do you hope to achieve by doing that though?

Quote Originally Posted by CollisionCourse? View Post
    Are the children being killed during the raid?
    Yes, everyone is killed. For every two adults over, we'll say, 18, there are two kids under 18. Consider a constant self sustaining equivalent number of children to adults for all generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post

I think it would be neat to go full-disclosure to the village, and help them evacuate.

There is not enough data about what happens afterwards to give a detailed answer.
    This is the kind of thing I don't want to be a choice though or it ruins the theoretical psychological aspect of the situation. By allowing this choice, the answers become more about a good versus evil divide and less about how people process and decide upon certain information differently. I hope you understand.

Edit: Unless of course you want to say that this is your primary mode of thought in handling such a situation. Then whether or not you succeed in convincing the villagers and getting them evacuated becomes a result that falls solely on your social abilities. Are your social abilities that refined that you think this option is likely to succeed, leaving you to see this option as best above the others?

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    Combination of refusal to be manipulated, suspicion as to the higher entity's motives (and real powers) for wanting to make *me* responsible for a change in the course of history, and a general preference for non-intervention and seeing how things pan out.

I assume that I wouldn't have known (going by the original gameset) that this choice would result in my death; I would've chosen it, no question. If I did know what the result would be for me, then I'd probably deliberate a bit more, but still choose it. If I did survive whatever choice I made, I wouldn't feel responsible for the outcome of the situation in any case, as this higher entity was clearly manipulating me, despite they themselves being in possession of more information about it, they chose to make an ignorant outsider take it on. So even if whatever I chose screwed up the world forever, I'd hold THEM responsible, not me.
    Very interesting. You don't necessarily know if the higher entity is in possession of more information though, but they might since we don't know, so thanks for you answer.

Yes, everyone is killed. For every two adults over, we'll say, 18, there are two kids under 18. Consider a constant self sustaining equivalent number of children to adults for all generations.
    I guess that solves the question of justified violence.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

4. Failing that 3.

Unless we are dealing with a predestined event, which I assume we're not because otherwise the exercise is futile and the higher entity is being capricous and will wipe you out whatever happens.

If its not pre-destined then the potential berserkers arent berserkers and dont warrant elimination simply because "they might" or the possibility exists, that future hasnt happened and will not if you can carry of either 4. or failing that 3.

I think those are the only ethical choices.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Given that possibility its possible that attempting 4. is what spooks the party into massacring the village in the first place, considering it an outpost of ill omen or something.