User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think I wish I knew more easy going people.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think I wish I knew more easy going people.
    HINT: Te tends to repel them.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post

Not IME.
    wails from the crypt.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Vampires aey?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    . Uptightness comes from having an internal model of the world that one insists upon and becoming upset when reality conflict with it. The most easy-going position is the willingness to take it as it comes and to be able to evolve in response to change.

Or, if you struggle with anxiety (and I have as well), what are ways to become just more relaxed and laid-back about it all?
    I fit both of these, depending on the context. In everyday situations, I will go with the flow and it won't irk me one bit if things don't go "according to plan". I'm not a stickler for rules or being on time or anything that seems small in the grand scheme of life. I have very little drama in my life. I get along with most people, and avoid the few who may agitate me.

How much something bothers me can depend on what my mood is to begin with though - small things can agitate me more if there is something much heavier on my mind; it's the straw that breaks the camel's back. The most easy-going people I know have few big problems, so yeah, the small stuff doesn't get to them. It's when you have major problems in life & can avoid a melt-down that you are truly easy-going, IMO.

However, I am not calm internally all the time. I'm pretty nervous & high-strung, which only close family and veeery close friends see IRL.
    Things in the world which conflict with my broad, core feeling of what is ideal and good will upset me, but I am often able to find "ways around it". It's less of a "if you can't, beat 'em join 'em" attitude than a "ditch 'em and start your own club" attitude.

What do you consider "easy-going" in a person?
    Someone who doesn't get upset over little things, who is flexible, who is not a stickler for rules, who focuses on the positives w/out being naive, who does not fight the tide unless it is really important. Someone who can ride through tough times in a reasonably calm and gracious manner.

Who are the most easy-going people you have encountered?
    People who are very spiritual with refined values - they tend to have a sense of what is really important in life, and so very little ruffles their feathers. This includes religious people who are spiritual, & not simply dogmatic.

When I was stressed about not having a job and going through my savings and having to leave my apartment and move in with the parents, someone reminded me that materials things are replaceable - they can be lost & regained & are of little importance in the long run. I think that is reflective of being easy-going. You won't get so upset if you keep things in perspective.

Where do they hang-out?
    All kinds of places. I don't see how there would be any major trend. "Hanging out" locations can be a matter of interests, not demeanor.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I would think IxxPs would be the most easygoing people because they are low-key, less energy introverts who take the external world as it comes or are not concerned with it that much. Being an introvert and a perceiver sounds like a very mellow person.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

toonia, let's be pals. Droopy is kind of my thing. Those who have met me can confirm.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Smile

They call us laconic but as our economy has been growing non-stop for nineteen years, we find we are working longer hours than the Americans for higher pay.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Ps are generally more easy going than Js.
    Definitely true in theory, but in practice I can't tell the difference. I do think the already established "A vs B" personality is imposed on the assumptions of J and P. That it doesn't turn out that way in application used to disorient me a bit, but I've yet to see a pattern one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    He makes me feel like I'm in a euphoric trance.
    There you go.

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I would define someone as easy-going if they were accommodating and pleasant. While they can be opinionated, their opinions would be mostly inoffensive.
    Unless they run into hippie haters. Everyone hated hippie opinions which were seen as radical, but they actually seemed a bit laid back. I remember the Rainbow People of Living Light causing quite a stir in my hometotwn with their tree-hugging, nudist endeavors, but they were quite chill. (Especially being in the mountains of Wyoming)

A really easy-going person might be the only one left standing not repelled. Te might tend to judge easy-going people most harshly? That is a possibility.

It is interesting that people allude to easy-goingness implying holding only non-offensive positions and possibly being lazy. It could look like the more laid-back a person is, the less presence they have as an individual, which could explain the cultural emphasis on being the opposite. I agree with the comments that an easy-going person can go with the flow and adapt to whatever new situation arises. For myself, if I could get rid of some inner anxiety issues, I'd probably fall rather far to the easy-going end of the spectrum mostly because I react calmly when people holler, or are late, or whatever. For myself, the core of easy-goingness is to withhold judgment and punishment on people. Stepping back and realizing that each situation is complex, and that my view is a fragment of the whole helps me see that I can't make quick conclusions about another person. Also realizing how small each person is in terms of their limitations in reacting to whatever life has caused them results in a withholding of judgment.

When one is angered at the "stupid people", all of the "fake and superficial people", "mean people", or those that belong to a hated religion or organization, etc., they have an internalized ideal about people that reality conflicts with and the desire to punish people for falling out of line with that ideal can only view a small portion of the reality of it. People probably don't have all that much free will or power to be someone other than their genetics and environment has shaped them to be. The lack of punishing people, especially if it results from seeing a bigger context than before, does not imply a lack of opinion, motivation, or presence in the world.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Enneagram
    4w5

A couple of years back I met a woman who was probably one of the most easy-going persons I have ever met (and I only saw her a couple times). She had a serenity about her, and I just felt totally at peace when I was around her, which is normally not something I feel around most people.

The other most easy going person I can think of is my mum's hippy spiritual friend. She's very open, accepting, ready to laugh, and just a go-with-the-flow type of person.

Around both of these women I felt an absence of expectations towards me. They had a nice inner calm that was really attractive.

I don't know where they hang out. I normally tend to attract anxious little rats like myself.

The thought of someone calling me easy-going cracks me up. I can be anxious a lot of the time, but I'm easy-going about most things (trivial things), but I don't come across that way due to social anxiety, and can appear really uptight when it's really just nervousness at being around people. The exception to this is when someone else is also socially anxious and/or shy, then it will disappear. Hmmm, I think I've gotten a bit off-topic lol

The way I help to ease anxiety is by trying to do this
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    You won't get so upset if you keep things in perspective.
    And going on walks seems to help with this. Nature helps to bring me back into a healthier frame of mind. Also being super silly with a person I feel comfortable around helps. And diet. After exams I'm going to try to go mostly raw and see if it does anything to my anxiety levels. I seem to be on a shifting seesaw of anxiety at one end and inner calm at the other and it's either one or the other, never seems to be a balance