User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you had a similar experience?(lucid dreaming)

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not Sure

0 0%
12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default A question about an Odd dreaming process

Hey folks

I've been dreaming in an odd manner for some years now, and was wondering if any of you have experienced something similar.

The name I've given to my experience is "dream-rewind". Lol, i know that sounds funny, but it pretty much describes what i experience when i dream. especially when I have dreams that have an outcome i do not desire.

Whenever i dream, i feel as if part of my mind is looking at the progression of the dream from a 3rd-person viewpoint. As if i'm a bystander watching the dream unfold. And anytime the dream happens to have something i do not like ( eg....me being hit by a car....losing something valuable ), this 3rd person part of my mind says "this is not good", and halts the dream...basically rewinds it back to the stage before this incident which i did not like...and play the dream again...this time, the dream progresses differently from that spot onwards, often not encountering the unsavory experience it had on the previous run.

but what i find amusing is that there is no guarantee that during the course of the rest of the dream i might not run into something else i do not like. When this happens, the "observer" part of my mind (for the want of a better name) again rewinds the dream, to a position just before this new, negative event, and starts it again.

I know this sounds strange....and i know that dreams cannot have logical thinking as part of them, but that's what i've been experiencing. This started happening when i was around 10 or so....and only for some of the most scary dreams(the ones 10 year old's have.lol)....but later on, as the years progressed, even slightly-negative events in my normal dreams have been paused, rewound, and played over and over again, till the dream is "perfect". its safe to say that I've not had a bad dream for years now..because of this.

there have been some instances, albeit rare..when I've had a dream rewound about a dozen times. And nowadays, i don't have any "bad" dreams at all...because of this....all bad dreams..however rare, are forced to play again and again till they have an acceptable ending. I'm in my early 20s now.

Ive been trying to figure out why this happens, and as far as i know...none of my friends have had similar experiences.

Any ideas or info on why this is happening is more than welcome!

ps:
    I don't know if this is the correct sub-forum to post this Q, my apologies if i posted in the wrong one.
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

omfg that is the coolest thing ever! i have been so mad at times being woken up and not getting to finish a dream...not knowing how it ended...ugh...drives me mad and have had really bad dreams that i would've really liked to stop!

well i think it's really cool...but totally bizarre....like lucid dreaming i suppose...i have had aware dreams...and knowing what was going to happen but rewinding and changing the course...omg so fun...it's like those stories i used to loves as a kid that had multiple endings...oh i wish people could experience others dreams...that would be so cool...shit i'm rambling...i'll shush.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I've had dreams where something I dislike happens, so I attempt to change it, and somehow wind up with two different situations happening at the same time. That's usually where my mind loses control of it and I wake up, heh.

Otherwise, no, never heard of that happening.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    omfg that is the coolest thing ever! i have been so mad at times being woken up and not getting to finish a dream...not knowing how it ended...ugh...drives me mad and have had really bad dreams that i would've really liked to stop!

well i think it's really cool...but totally bizarre....like lucid dreaming i suppose...i have had aware dreams...and knowing what was going to happen but rewinding and changing the course...omg so fun...it's like those stories i used to loves as a kid that had multiple endings...oh i wish people could experience others dreams...that would be so cool...shit i'm rambling...i'll shush.

You are right....the closest example i could find to my experience is Lucid dreaming...in fact i do think that what i experience is lucid dreaming or some form of it.

but yeah...the rewinding part is whats puzzling

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    I've had dreams where something I dislike happens, so I attempt to change it, and somehow wind up with two different situations happening at the same time. That's usually where my mind loses control of it and I wake up, heh.

Otherwise, no, never heard of that happening.

this is interesting.. .. because that's how it started for me..when i was a kid...that my observing part of the brain will have to "work" hard to "fix" the dream.

And initially i remember that it was hard to "fix" the dreams....but as time went by it became an unconscious ( even to the observer part of the brain) process.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Wow, that is really interesting! Do you consciously rewind the dream or it subconsciously rewinds itself? If you're able to do it consciously, I'd wonder what would happen if you actually went through the parts you didn't like (I wish I could!)

Really, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being able to do this and I'm currently researching dreams and meanings, ect. You may be a specimen for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

figsfiggyfigs

Yes Starsiege, I'm with ya on that one.

I'm fantastic at controlling wtf happens in my dreams, although at times I don't have that pleasure( when I've gone to bed exhausted)

I remember this one specific dream where I was in a video game( go ahead, laugh).
    and I was hit with a shovel, and there were zombies coming at me, and I just re-winded the whole thing and dodged the shovel the second time around

I'm very aware while I dream, sometimes I acutally get bored and turn it into an even bigger freak show.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I have similar experiences and can usually control the course of my dreams. Most of them are quite pleasant as a result.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    Wow, that is really interesting! Do you consciously rewind the dream or it subconsciously rewinds itself? If you're able to do it consciously, I'd wonder what would happen if you actually went through the parts you didn't like (I wish I could!)

Really, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being able to do this and I'm currently researching dreams and meanings, ect. You may be a specimen for me.
    I consciously rewind it. On second thoughts, i would have to find a better word than "rewind" because rewinding implies that i run the dream backwards till i get to the point i want to go to. In my case its more like the realization "oh..this branch of the decision tree is wrong, lets go back to the instant where i took this wrong decision instantly".

Sometimes i find that the "mistake" i made in my dream is not because of my most recent decision...but one i made far back during the course of the dream. In those cases i will end up going back to older and older "saves" of my dream till i get to a save that is not 'corrupted" (lol , using computer terminology). in other words, its as if i take a "snapshot" or 'save" the progress of my dream often.

sometimes this does not work as well as expected....for example...if there is an earthquake...even if i might try rewinding me entering a certain building...it will still happen. and my "observer" part of the mind will realize that this makes sense because the error i made in my decision goes back to the time when i decided to enter this city (in my dream) and not when i decided to enter this particular building. in that event i have two options...

1 Go back to the part in the dream where im about to enter this city...and don't enter it.

2 just force my dream to accept that there will be "no earthquakes!"

i usually do the first method. but sometimes use the second method too, simply dictating to my dream that "this is how things will be"

ironically enough...in some dreams its hard to realize where i made a bad decision...thus ill have to make a guess, and start from a position, and narrow it down to the correct one after a few reruns from places where i 'guess" the dream started to go wrong.

as for consciously doing this...yes..i am consciously making the decision to go back to a earlier point in the dream and playing it again. I do remember that doing this was hard at the start...actually i found that i could do this by accident. Till then part of my mind? was just an observer, looking on as a spectator at the unfolding dream. one day i realized that i can direct the dream. But it was hard at first...very. I also had trouble understanding where dreams went "wrong"...but over time its become easier.

the best example i can think of, of how a dream progresses, is like a tree with multiple branches...each branch splitting off into even more branches and etc etc. almost like a decision tree

Decision tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for me, the best way to "fix" the dream is to go to the node that is right before the "error/unwanted result' in the dream. if not, i might have to replay segments which are fine, all over again before i can reach the part where the bad event happened.ironically my "observer" part of the brain seems to be annoyed at itself when this happens, thinking "i should have found a better(closer) starting point....damn..now i'm going over stuff that's perfectly ok".lol

ideally i should have gone to a time in the dream maybe 1 second before the negative/unwanted event.

i agree that it feel really good, being able to mold the dreams as we wish. But sometimes i think i miss the days when i had dreams which were scary and/or uncontrollable.

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post

Ive googgled about this, and found about 3 or 4 posts (not many..i agree) where people have recounted similar experiences. and i noticed two more in this same thread! maybe its cos most of us who have this do not post about it...i donno.

*runs away from the microscope*

Quote Originally Posted by You'reWrongI'mRight View Post
    Yes Starsiege, I'm with ya on that one.

I'm fantastic at controlling wtf happens in my dreams, although at times I don't have that pleasure( when I've gone to bed exhausted)

I remember this one specific dream where I was in a video game( go ahead, laugh).
    and I was hit with a shovel, and there were zombies coming at me, and I just re-winded the whole thing and dodged the shovel the second time around

I'm very aware while I dream, sometimes I acutally get bored and turn it into an even bigger freak show.

This is exactly what happens!!!
    wow!! I could not have said it any better!

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Justice View Post
    I have similar experiences and can usually control the course of my dreams. Most of them are quite pleasant as a result.
    Yep, its great to see there are others who have this experience!

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I have something similar, not exactly, but it's a bit like it. In my dreams, time doesn't exist. They're more like a slideshow with images and clips in a random order and then I have to figure out what the story was like when I wake up. When I tell other people about my dreams, I've already tried to put all thos frames in a right order. I'm also rarely the same person all the time. And example of one of my dreams:

- I'm a bee and I'm flying inside a huge room. There are many people. They're talking to each other. My uncle's face is on a huge screen on the wall. I land on a big table with a lot of food on it and I start eating. I hear my aunt mention that my uncle died and that he left her a lot of money.
    - I'm a purple-blue curtain. My uncle is standing there talking to a friend. I don't know what they're talking about, because he's a curtain.
    - I'm some dude. I'm talking to me (I don't know that's me, I'm just Kat to myself). Kat has a glass of champagne in her hand and tells me my uncle suddenly died and no one knows the reason. I don't give a shit and I only look at Kat's cleavage. Kat doesn't notice because she's too busy telling her story, but once she notices she throws her champagne in my face, slaps me, kicks me in my balls and runs off.
    - I'm myself. I'm walking through Amsterdam, but Amsterdam is almost empty. I get in the tram and spend my time looking outside. It's morning when I get in and when I get out, it's already dark.
    - I'm a fish and I'm inside a bowl. I watch how my uncle's getting incinerated. My aunt is holding a lot of money in her hand.
    - I'm my cousin. I'm talking to my uncle, who's going to make me a table.
    - I'm me again. It's late at night I'm sitting on a roof top in Amsterdam. I'm eating a chocolate ice cream with a loved one who actually died last July.

I think it mainly has to do with my thinking style. Most people seem to think in a straight line, but I seem to think in many tiny little chaotic lines. I'm just not able to control my dreams or whatsoever.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^ that sounds more similar to the way mine are...like movie clips put into a blender and randomly spat out but i think i'm always me...i just never see myself.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison