User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Default How vivid is your subconscious imagination?

I have always had this problem and there seems to be some correlation with N users. This is not about creativity. But I have always 'suffered' from really vivid dreams/nightmares. I get full pictures and colors, conversations and the emotions associated. This is worse when I am overheated in my sleep - how odd.

For example, last night I watched the first few scenes from Bones and this morning I felt like I was stuck in a horror movie for hours in a similar situation. I was in this huge prison-like place, pitch black and chilly and some psycho-killer was hunting me down and it was like a sick, sick game for him. It was very specific - there was a rope around my mouth involved - other prisoners - the full realization that the psycho killer was playing a game and I was, obviously, beside myself with fear/dread/panic/hysteria.

I was climbing all over the place trying to find a hiding spot knowing well he was lurking in the corners laughing. I felt completely stuck in the dream and it felt incredibly real to me. That's why I can't watch horror movies ever. My mind finds a way to recreate it while I am at my most vulnerable - sleeping. It's a terrible feeling. I experience this a lot actually, being stuck in a morbid situation. Ne or Ni? Both?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

that's pretty cool. Recreating horror scenes, I wish I could do that in my sleep.

most of mine are pretty mundane actually, it just feels nice to be out of my mind (the logic part shuts down when dreaming). Most of the 'creative' dreams I have involve me killing things like strange monsters and villains for some raisin. I wrote down a bunch of my dreams but they're fairly generic. Have some reoccurring characters in them.

last night I dreamed I was walking around some place that looked like my old elementary school and then got on some underground rollercoaster. All my steps and the sequences of the dream were in sync with the Godflesh album 'Streetcleaner' though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

double toast

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

It's interesting you bring this up because I've had a reoccurring nightmare since childhood about psychopathic serial killers that is very vivid, violent and graphic.

It's often brought on by watching something scary/disturbing/graphic, which is partly why I avoid those things like you do. However, it sometimes comes about randomly.

The specific scenario always varies, and it often includes some famous person I just happened to see on TV beforehand; for instance, after falling asleep after watching Eternal Sunshine, Jim Carrey appeared as the serial killer in my dream . And like most dreams, it does not really "make sense".

Anyhow, there are times when I feel semi-awake and like I can control the dream. There is an urgent feeling of needing to stop this killer, and if I am semi-awake I can maneuver it so it ends how I want it to - if I don't, then I often have it again the next night.

I've decided it's expressing a feeling of not being in control of my life, and feeling some destructive force take control. I think the fear from the images I'm exposed to in horror movies draws out this fear - there's some parallel between those scenarios and the fear of losing your life in a symbolic way.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I have interesting dreams. Things that should be scary in them do not frighten me.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Smile

Ted Hughes had ready access to his unconscious and so was a great poet.

His wife, Sylvia Plath, although clever and educated, only had access to her superficial levels, until she met Ted Hughes. And Ted introduced Sylvia to her unconscious.

Unfortunately Sylvia's unconscious was destructive. And like many with a destructive unconscious, if she couldn't destroy someone else, she would destroy herself. And not being able to destroy Ted, she committed suicide.

And like Ted, I had an American lover who looked and acted like Sylvia. And indeed once I even had to take the razor blade out of her hand and I was enormously angry that she would try to commit suicide. But all to no avail, for soon she was shooting heroin to drown her destructive unconscious.

She asked me to marry her but I didn't reply and soon I found someone else.

But what most struck me about her was how impressive she was on the surface, just like the American, Sylvia Plath.

And today I find my old lover living in Los Angeles, still fighting her demons in the recovery movement, and publicly talking about her depression.

But fortunately she was unable to destroy me or herself.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Ted Hughes had ready access to his unconscious and so was a great poet.

His wife, Sylvia Plath, although clever and educated, only had access to her superficial levels, until she met Ted Hughes. And Ted introduced Sylvia to her unconscious.

Unfortunately Sylvia's unconscious was destructive. And like many with a destructive unconscious, if she couldn't destroy someone else, she would destroy herself. And not being able to destroy Ted, she committed suicide.

And like Ted, I had an American lover who looked and acted like Sylvia. And indeed once I even had to take the razor blade out of her hand and I was enormously angry that she would try to commit suicide. But all to no avail, for soon she was shooting heroin to drown her destructive unconscious.

She asked me to marry her but I didn't reply and soon I found someone else.

But what most struck me about her was how impressive she was on the surface, just like the American, Sylvia Plath.

And today I find my old lover living in Los Angeles, still fighting her demons in the recovery movement, and publicly talking about her depression.

But fortunately she was unable to destroy me or herself.

I really take issue with what you've said about Sylvia Plath here. It makes me angry.

I mean, have you even read The Bell Jar ?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I really take issue with what you've said about Sylvia Plath here. It makes me angry.
    That was kind of fucked up.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post

I mean, have you even read The Bell Jar ?
    Sure, Sylvia was an icon of the feminist movement. And the feminists looked around for someone to blame for her suicide and there was Ted.

And of course I have read all her poems and even joined a lesbian feminist poetry group to read her poems.

And Sylvia became a good poet, but at the expense of her life.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Sure, Sylvia was an icon of the feminist movement. And the feminists looked around for someone to blame for her suicide and there was Ted.

And of course I have read all her poems and even joined a lesbian feminist poetry group to read her poems.

And Sylvia was a good poet, but at the expense of her life.
    Oh my.