User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I believe you! And again, I agree. I think most people share your dislike of it in the dentist's office in particular because of the special hygeine requirements in that medical environment; I just wasn't sure whether you were hinting that you had other 'boundaries' about eating in public, outside of the normal manners/etiquette thing, as faith was suggesting. But I can't imagine you having a problem with people eating on park benches or at restaurants, from what I see of you in your posts here. Do you share faith's distaste for eating as a communal activity?
    Not really, but I understand it. I just reread faith's posts and I think she has focused on being uncomfortable eating in public herself, not disapproving of others' public eating.

As for me, it's all about context. Park benches, I don't see a problem. Many parks have picnic benches and most welcome lunchers, I think. Restaurants, of course are fine. It's mostly quiet indoor places where eating isn't customary that I would have an issue with, and I wouldn't eat in those places myself.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Never thought I'd take heat for being a tight-ass in this department- especially considering when my kids were nursing I would nurse them anywhere we happened to be, including the dentist's waiting room. That's a bit different from some dude chowing down on a chicken dinner right before his appointment.
    You're not a tight-ass, you're more borderline. It's the fact that you're the only one coming from that side who is actually making discussion that probably makes you feel you're taking all the heat. If you don't mind you should poke ones who are worse since they seem to have stopped posting on this thread. (or are they scared?)
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    It's funny, several people have an issue with it, but Ivy is the only one making replies. Or does she speak for all of you?
    Are you blind? I've communicated my personal opinion/s on the subject and have moved on. :rolli:
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Are you blind? I've communicated my personal opinion/s on the subject and have moved on. :rolli:
    LOL, so Ivy is fighting a battle the doesn't exist in the first place...

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Ivy is not fighting any battles. Ivy is casually debating to kill time. Ivy does not actually care about this topic that much.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    LOL, so Ivy is fighting a battle the doesn't exist in the first place...
    Those are your words, not anyone else's. We're having a discussion. What's all this battle business? Ohhh wait... INFP, ok... gotcha!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Those are your words, not anyone else's. We're having a discussion. What's all this battle business? Ohhh wait... INFP, ok... gotcha!
    Yeah, ignore the fluff ball, I need to remember not to post before I've had my first cup of coffee...

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

I think my post has been misunderstood. I didn't say it was gross to eat in public. I didn't say I thought people shouldn't eat in public. I didn't say I have a problem with gross things; it's not a how-gross-can-you-stand contest.

I just observed that most things we do in public are more or less refined and polite. (Maybe not in Europe, but I'm not trying to be European.) And somehow eating doesn't feel or look refined to me. It's not as though I'm going to refuse to eat in a restaurant. It's just interesting that most people under the category of "polite" have certain things that they reserve for doing at home--putting on make up, for example: it's not gross or rude, but it's something personal that you generally don't do in public--yet eating isn't one of them.

MBTI
    ENTP

Ok faith I understand... that sort of is pretty much what I understood from your initial post in this thread. I was trying to understand why something like eating would be considered "unrefined" in some societies, but not in others (for example Ancient Romans considered themselves the epitome of civilization, but lying on couches and eating and drinking was pretty much de rigeur for high-ups (or high-up wannabes) when meeting).

I guess I was intrigued by your unique (to my ears) and somewhat nebulous definition of "refined". It sort of seems implicit by when you say "...refined and polite (maybe not in Europe...)" as though you feel those words are absolutes, as defined by ...what? I'm not trying to be difficult, just interested and trying to understand your point of view (it's one I've encountered before but never understood, so this is my chance! )
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Wow, this thread is fascinating!!

I've never really thought about any of it before!! But I guess this means I don't have a problem eating in public - restaurants, while camping or hiking, sitting on a park bench watching people walk by (which I've done on more than one occasion during my travels), eating at my desk at work, eating at the 'brown bag'-type meetings at work where meetings are held over the lunch hour so it's acceptable for people to bring their lunch, eating in the car...

I personally wouldn't do the dentist office thing!! Yuck! And it makes no sense, eating right before you're going to have a checkup.

The only time I might be uncomfortable eating is when I'm on a date - I mean, it's not like I'm at my most attractive when I'm chomping on food.

There was one peeve of mine yesterday though -- I was riding the bus home, and there was a girl sitting behind me, who was smacking her gum noisily the entire ride home - it was audible a good 2-3 aisles away. It totally irritated me, and I kept thinking it was really rude, and I wanted to turn around and glare at her! But that wouldn't have accomplished anything.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ