User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 109

  1. #51
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I believe you! And again, I agree. I think most people share your dislike of it in the dentist's office in particular because of the special hygeine requirements in that medical environment; I just wasn't sure whether you were hinting that you had other 'boundaries' about eating in public, outside of the normal manners/etiquette thing, as faith was suggesting. But I can't imagine you having a problem with people eating on park benches or at restaurants, from what I see of you in your posts here. Do you share faith's distaste for eating as a communal activity?
    Not really, but I understand it. I just reread faith's posts and I think she has focused on being uncomfortable eating in public herself, not disapproving of others' public eating.

    As for me, it's all about context. Park benches, I don't see a problem. Many parks have picnic benches and most welcome lunchers, I think. Restaurants, of course are fine. It's mostly quiet indoor places where eating isn't customary that I would have an issue with, and I wouldn't eat in those places myself.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  2. #52
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Never thought I'd take heat for being a tight-ass in this department- especially considering when my kids were nursing I would nurse them anywhere we happened to be, including the dentist's waiting room. That's a bit different from some dude chowing down on a chicken dinner right before his appointment.
    You're not a tight-ass, you're more borderline. It's the fact that you're the only one coming from that side who is actually making discussion that probably makes you feel you're taking all the heat. If you don't mind you should poke ones who are worse since they seem to have stopped posting on this thread. (or are they scared?)
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #53
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    It's funny, several people have an issue with it, but Ivy is the only one making replies. Or does she speak for all of you?
    Are you blind? I've communicated my personal opinion/s on the subject and have moved on. :rolli:
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  4. #54
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Are you blind? I've communicated my personal opinion/s on the subject and have moved on. :rolli:
    LOL, so Ivy is fighting a battle the doesn't exist in the first place...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #55
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Ivy is not fighting any battles. Ivy is casually debating to kill time. Ivy does not actually care about this topic that much.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  6. #56
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    LOL, so Ivy is fighting a battle the doesn't exist in the first place...
    Those are your words, not anyone else's. We're having a discussion. What's all this battle business? Ohhh wait... INFP, ok... gotcha!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  7. #57
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Those are your words, not anyone else's. We're having a discussion. What's all this battle business? Ohhh wait... INFP, ok... gotcha!
    Yeah, ignore the fluff ball, I need to remember not to post before I've had my first cup of coffee...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    408

    Default

    I think my post has been misunderstood. I didn't say it was gross to eat in public. I didn't say I thought people shouldn't eat in public. I didn't say I have a problem with gross things; it's not a how-gross-can-you-stand contest.

    I just observed that most things we do in public are more or less refined and polite. (Maybe not in Europe, but I'm not trying to be European.) And somehow eating doesn't feel or look refined to me. It's not as though I'm going to refuse to eat in a restaurant. It's just interesting that most people under the category of "polite" have certain things that they reserve for doing at home--putting on make up, for example: it's not gross or rude, but it's something personal that you generally don't do in public--yet eating isn't one of them.

  9. #59
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Ok faith I understand... that sort of is pretty much what I understood from your initial post in this thread. I was trying to understand why something like eating would be considered "unrefined" in some societies, but not in others (for example Ancient Romans considered themselves the epitome of civilization, but lying on couches and eating and drinking was pretty much de rigeur for high-ups (or high-up wannabes) when meeting).

    I guess I was intrigued by your unique (to my ears) and somewhat nebulous definition of "refined". It sort of seems implicit by when you say "...refined and polite (maybe not in Europe...)" as though you feel those words are absolutes, as defined by ...what? I'm not trying to be difficult, just interested and trying to understand your point of view (it's one I've encountered before but never understood, so this is my chance! )
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  10. #60
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Wow, this thread is fascinating!!

    I've never really thought about any of it before!! But I guess this means I don't have a problem eating in public - restaurants, while camping or hiking, sitting on a park bench watching people walk by (which I've done on more than one occasion during my travels), eating at my desk at work, eating at the 'brown bag'-type meetings at work where meetings are held over the lunch hour so it's acceptable for people to bring their lunch, eating in the car...

    I personally wouldn't do the dentist office thing!! Yuck! And it makes no sense, eating right before you're going to have a checkup.

    The only time I might be uncomfortable eating is when I'm on a date - I mean, it's not like I'm at my most attractive when I'm chomping on food.

    There was one peeve of mine yesterday though -- I was riding the bus home, and there was a girl sitting behind me, who was smacking her gum noisily the entire ride home - it was audible a good 2-3 aisles away. It totally irritated me, and I kept thinking it was really rude, and I wanted to turn around and glare at her! But that wouldn't have accomplished anything.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Similar Threads

  1. Avoiding people in public places
    By chatoyer in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-22-2016, 03:01 PM
  2. [INFJ] INFJ: Are you afraid to try new things in public?
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM
  3. INTJs given an unfair advantage in public schools?
    By KarenParker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 04:38 PM
  4. [INFP] INFP's & Overwhelming feelings in public
    By Wiley45 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 10:21 PM
  5. [INTJ] INTJs in public places
    By Kalach in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO