User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    "You want to take a bath in the sink?"

She considered a moment. "Uh-huh," she said, nodding.
    It looks like she had it all planned out from the start.

Back on topic, I don't really have any problem with eating in public. I'll admit that the dental office situation you had was certainly...novel. But I don't really see why...he shouldn't have to eat it some other time if he felt like eating it there, just because it's not convenient or not commonly done. It's the dentist's job to clean your teeth anyways. Maybe he just wanted to get the most out of his dental plan that day.

In class I'll randomly get out my lunch, set it all up on my desk and start eating it when the teacher is teaching, or we're working, even if the class is dead quiet. I mean, we're allowed anyways and if I'm hungry, so what? I'm just gonna be eating in front of them in another half hour if I don't. If someone complains about the smell or noise or whatever, I'll gladly put it away, but it's never happened before. My classmates sometimes just come up to my desk and take pieces off my lunch and eat them. I don't mind. I'm kind of like a neanderthal when it comes to food. It's not like I eat copious amounts of meat with sauce on them...for lunch I just bring fruit and bread, usually. But I do things like rip food out of people's mouths if they take it from me when I tell them not to (unless they've already chewed down more than once or twice). Or I remove their shoes and throw them down the hall, then take their lunch and run away with it, if they persist. Or I grab and twist at their chest areas.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Okay, yeah, eating in the dentists is a bit much, but otherwise I have no problem with eating in front of other people... I've never even thought that it might bother some people, actually. Haha, this is reminding me of that 'ENFPs are unafraid of germs' thread. :P

I don't quite agree with it being a disgusting bodily function, though - As long as you eat with your mouth closed and don't make a mess... it's hardly gross. There are a lot worse things in the world. *shrug* I don't really see why it'd disgust some people. Maybe the food itself smells bad, but that's something different.

As far as eating in the car, I do it once a week when I work late nights... the family has already eaten by the time I get home and I can't be bothered making something myself... so I grab takeaway, and eat it as I drive home. It'd be cold by the time I got back if I waited.

I mean, sure, if you're in some sort of meeting or class then of course it's not polite to be eating, but I think for the most part 'in public' is more than fine.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I eat everywhere. My ISFJ girlfriend for example says I shouldn't eat at class, but if the professor doesn't see me, I don't see the problem. If other people are bothered by somebody else eating - it's just their problem IMHO.

I don't even have a problem with people eating with their mouth open. I don't see why we should control ourselves so much, honestly. Polite, impolite - it's other things that are important in a person's character not the way he-she eats.

I am pretty sure I'd have to have a really, really good reason to eat in a dentist's waiting room.
    Me too. Being hungry!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm not sure why having boundaries regarding where it's appropriate to eat (and where it's not) is being conflated with germaphobia. I am about the least germaphobic person you'll meet- I think extreme sanitation (not normal sanitation, which has clearly been a Good Thing(tm) since the Industrial Revolution) makes people more prone to sickness, not less. My eating preferences aren't really about sanitation.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It's funny, several people have an issue with it, but Ivy is the only one making replies. Or does she speak for all of you?
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Never thought I'd take heat for being a tight-ass in this department- especially considering when my kids were nursing I would nurse them anywhere we happened to be, including the dentist's waiting room. That's a bit different from some dude chowing down on a chicken dinner right before his appointment.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm not sure why having boundaries regarding where it's appropriate to eat (and where it's not) is being conflated with germaphobia. I am about the least germaphobic person you'll meet- I think extreme sanitation (not normal sanitation, which has clearly been a Good Thing(tm) since the Industrial Revolution) makes people more prone to sickness, not less. My eating preferences aren't really about sanitation.
    I agree, and as I wasn't generalizing but more specifically talking about the people I know who are fussy and fastidious to varying degrees about this kind of thing, I wasn't theorizing about you personally - obviously, as I don't know you, so to do so would be absurd. I think all any of us are doing is comparing our own experiences on here as it's all we can do with any amount of authority.

With some people I think it is about germophobia (great word, not heard it before!), and in some of those cases it's completely irrational germophobia as in the case of OCD. The difference being that a person who's just afraid of germs and doesn't have OCD would be afraid of it in places where there is a possibility - albeit remote - of infection, whilst the OCD sufferer is usually afraid of it in cases where it's a negligible to impossible likelihood, and takes irrational measures to circumvent the spurious 'dangers'.

Then there's the other thing, which is just the simple disconnection from "the human condition" (as runvardh put it, very well IMO). It's a general feature (and has been for millenia) of 'civilized' societies that the more civilized a person believes themselves to be, the lower tolerance they have for witnessing or talking about the 'animal functions'. This became particularly the case in Victorian times, when just about everything had a prescribed time and place so that nobody had to think of anyone else as an actual living organism, but more a moving mannequin! This is demonstrated in the British tradition, hailing from early Victorian times, that "the Queen doesn't fart or go to the toilet".

It's my impression that during and after the World Wars, there was a movement back down to earth in civilization generally, a newfound familiarity with the human condition as it was brought up close and personal during the wars, I think led to the more "organic" mindset of the 60's and 70's, a sort of "back to nature" ideal. But I think that somewhere in the 80's a move back towards the Victorian primness was begun, which I think was happening of its own accord in any case, but has been helped along by germaphobia. Which itself is, I believe, the result of aggressive marketing by companies that produce hygeine products, working to convince people through advertisements and sponsorship deals with health professionals, that the level of cleanliness required for day to day living is much higher than in reality. On top of that has been the huge increase in eating disorders, for which many blame the modelling/fashion industry.

I don't think that being uncomfortable with eating in public, or seeing others eat in public, is entirely due to any one of these factors in general, but I do think that they all play their part in, again, a general movement towards discomfort and disconnection from the human condition, and anything that reminds us of it. In society at large, this is, though each individual person would, naturally, have their own reasons/rationalizations for it in themselves and others.

(and I know this isn't perfect, but I just came up with it whilst driving home from the office and haven't got time to edit it lol)
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I agree, and as I wasn't generalizing but more specifically talking about the people I know who are fussy and fastidious to varying degrees about this kind of thing, I wasn't theorizing about you personally - obviously, as I don't know you, so to do so would be absurd. I think all any of us are doing is comparing our own experiences on here as it's all we can do with any amount of authority.
    Well, I wasn't taking your words personally. Some of the "No, it wouldn't bother me" responses gave "I don't care about germs" as the reason why they wouldn't be bothered and would eat wherever they felt like it. I was countering that by pointing out that I don't care about germs, either, but I still care where I am when I eat for social reasons.

With some people I think it is about germophobia (great word, not heard it before!), and in some of those cases it's completely irrational germophobia as in the case of OCD. The difference being that a person who's just afraid of germs and doesn't have OCD would be afraid of it in places where there is a possibility - albeit remote - of infection, whilst the OCD sufferer is usually afraid of it in cases where it's a negligible to impossible likelihood, and takes irrational measures to circumvent the spurious 'dangers'.
    I'm sure that's the case for some people who don't approve of public eating.

Then there's the other thing, which is just the simple disconnection from "the human condition" (as runvardh put it, very well IMO). It's a general feature (and has been for millenia) of 'civilized' societies that the more civilized a person believes themselves to be, the lower tolerance they have for witnessing or talking about the 'animal functions'. This became particularly the case in Victorian times, when just about everything had a prescribed time and place so that nobody had to think of anyone else as an actual living organism, but more a moving mannequin! This is demonstrated in the British tradition, hailing from early Victorian times, that "the Queen doesn't fart or go to the toilet".

It's my impression that during and after the World Wars, there was a movement back down to earth in civilization generally, a newfound familiarity with the human condition as it was brought up close and personal during the wars, I think led to the more "organic" mindset of the 60's and 70's, a sort of "back to nature" ideal. But I think that somewhere in the 80's a move back towards the Victorian primness was begun, which I think was happening of its own accord in any case, but has been helped along by germaphobia. Which itself is, I believe, the result of aggressive marketing by companies that produce hygeine products, working to convince people through advertisements and sponsorship deals with health professionals, that the level of cleanliness required for day to day living is much higher than in reality. On top of that has been the huge increase in eating disorders, for which many blame the modelling/fashion industry.

I don't think that being uncomfortable with eating in public, or seeing others eat in public, is entirely due to any one of these factors in general, but I do think that they all play their part in, again, a general movement towards discomfort and disconnection from the human condition, and anything that reminds us of it. In society at large, this is, though each individual person would, naturally, have their own reasons/rationalizations for it in themselves and others.

(and I know this isn't perfect, but I just came up with it whilst driving home from the office and haven't got time to edit it lol)
    It all makes sense, and I agree with most of it. My position in this debate is that it's not necessarily Victorian sensibilities or germaphobia or a lack of connection to the human condition. I'm not taking it personally- I'm just using myself as a counterargument example. Does that make sense? I'm about as earthy-birthy as they come- I had both of my babies drug-free and nekkid, one outside the hospital (both would have been outside the hospital if I had my way, but there were complications the first time). I nursed them for a few years each, wherever I happened to be. But I was discreet- most people thought they were sleeping in my lap. If you can eat in the dentist's office without anyone knowing, I'd be surprised.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It all makes sense, and I agree with most of it. My position in this debate is that it's not necessarily Victorian sensibilities or germaphobia or a lack of connection to the human condition. I'm not taking it personally- I'm just using myself as a counterargument example. Does that make sense? I'm about as earthy-birthy as they come...
    I believe you! And again, I agree. I think most people share your dislike of it in the dentist's office in particular because of the special hygeine requirements in that medical environment; I just wasn't sure whether you were hinting that you had other 'boundaries' about eating in public, outside of the normal manners/etiquette thing, as faith was suggesting. But I can't imagine you having a problem with people eating on park benches or at restaurants, from what I see of you in your posts here. Do you share faith's distaste for eating as a communal activity?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't have a problem with eating in public, at all (though I am a bit of a germaphobe). But eating in the dentist's waiting room? That seems entirely inappropriate.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."