User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I think by the time he said that, the discussion had moved (at least in his head, and somewhat in mine) into RL experience and away from responding to specific posts. But Eileen did specifically say that she didn't really like the idea of eating tin front of others at all. And the thread title '...in public' does seem to suggest an openness to talking about other public areas... otherwise it would've just said 'eating in a dentist's reception'...
    I don't think Eileen has posted in this thread. Did you mean me? I also said that I don't like to eat in public, but I tried to frame it as my own neurosis. It doesn't mean I get grossed out when people are eating on a park bench or whatever. That's why they usually have picnic tables at parks, IME. But the dentist is out of bounds I think.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't think Eileen has posted in this thread.
    Oops again even more! I meant faith!!! Sorry, I think they used to have similar avatars on INTPc or something, but my brain seems to link them together somehow...

Really not with it today, sorry!!

edit - I agree about the dentist mainly because it's a place where hygeine is important, so psychologically it's important to people to be able to see and smell all those hygeinic vibes. It should smell of disinfectant and be all white and clean and stuff. If I walked in and smelled greasy takeaway food it wouldn't fill me with confidence about the practice's hygeine policies! So it's not so much the person eating that I'd have the problem with, but the side effects of it in that particular situation.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Oops again even more! I meant faith!!! Sorry, I think they used to have similar avatars on INTPc or something, but my brain seems to link them together somehow...

Really not with it today, sorry!!
    They tend to post similar reactions usually with in a few replies of eachother, here and on INTPc.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah... "unrefined"... that's it.

There's just something that bothers me really, about this whole Western tendency - especially British and American - towards generally sanitizing life so that any natural thing, anything sorta down to earth and real ends up being 'icky'. I know people who won't touch raw meat, or use a dishwasher purely because they don't like the thought of touching plates that have food on them that was someone else's... I just wonder and worry a bit about what seems to me to be a general move towards a kinda precious OCD-esque society... I don't think it's particularly healthy.
    Really. My daughter won't touch raw meat when helping to prepare a meal.
    On the inside I'm thinking, "What in the world are you going to do when it's time to change a diaper?!"

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    At the dentists office, that's a bit much; but anywhere else like on a curb or at a park you can kiss my ass if you don't like me eating there. If I'm not in the way you don't have to be around me. I feel sorry for people who have too many issues with the human condition.
    I don't have a problem with your eating on the side of the road or at the park. There are plenty of outdoor noises to mask any sounds of sucking and chomping on food. It's in confined non food places that I have a problem with.

I've also been puked on and pooped on (among other things) by my own offspring so you can't scare me. The day we brought our daughter home from the hospital she decided to spew mustard like poop all over my fresh out the dryer terry cloth bath robe. How's that for a homecoming?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Really. My daughter won't touch raw meat when helping to prepare a meal. On the inside I'm thinking, "What in the world are you going to do when it's time to change a diaper?!"
    Of course, at least we don't eat diapers!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Wonder if this might be related to J/P- a boundaries issue? I would say that Js are more likely to have clearly defined boundaries and expect others to respect them. Which, again, would explain why I ride the fence, as I always do in these threads.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    What are your thoughts on the subject?
    I prefer to wait until I get home, or eat in the car. I can eat inside the restaurant if it seems sanitary enough, although I'm easily grossed out of doing so. I particularly dislike eating outdoors, although I can drink from one of those narrow-necked plastic containers with a cap they put drinks in these days, or an aluminum can while outside (A glass is unfit, however). It's unlikely that I would eat inside anywhere near a doctor's office or other place with disgusting connotations like a warehouse. I can eat in a regular office (that handles mostly paperwork/computers) under some circumstances, especially if I'm going to spend a lot of time there.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm one of those appalling people who has NO FEAR of germs! I'll eat just about anywhere- I'll buy food from street vendors in third world countries and eat it without fear of consequence, I'll eat behind the counter at work, chomp down on food in grungy restraunts happily, I eat in my car and I eat in class! (yeah- this is starting to sound a bit like Green Eggs and Ham)

I wouldn't eat in the dentist's office though- I'm a bit picky about my teeth and live in dread fear that the dentist might not praise them as a perfect specimine of dental perfection for once!

Otherwise though, sorry people! Eating is as natural as blinking or sneezing, and when I've got to eat, I'm going to eat! (at least I have good table manners and eat food that works along with what I'm doing- nothing smelly or time consuming in public for me!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I am pretty sure I'd have to have a really, really good reason to eat in a dentist's waiting room. I get grossed out by watching surgeries, etc, but I've dealt with plenty of gross people and animal stuff courtesy of four kids two dogs and three cats. I'm not really very germ conscious and I'll eat wherever as long as it's reasonably socially appropriate. If it's something particularly messy I might feel self-conscious eating in front of non-family/close friends, though. I'm not what you'd call coordinated.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers