User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

He probably was grabbing a free second to eat, but YUCK -- chicken and anti-septic smell together. GAG. I used to eat in my car, not the office, and never before a dental appt.-- You'd have food all jammed up in your grill! Nasty!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Gee, it's hard having delicate sensibilities.
    Yes, I know.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Faith - I think of eating as a social event because it's something relaxing and enjoyable that everyone shares in. It's a common human experience that nobody needs to feel embarrassed about (though why in that case we don't have communal bathroom going events... heheh I dunno).
    That's kind of my point. There are plenty of relaxing, natural things people do that we don't tend to share with strangers. Eating with family is fine--I get that community, sharing, vulnerability thing--just like sleeping with a spouse. But you don't bed down with strangers just to be social and get to know them. Or, take a less extreme example. Working out / exercising is natural, healthy, socially approved, and can be pleasant if shared with a friend. But it also involves potentially "unrefined" bodily functions (perspiration, panting, etc.). We don't invite new neighbors over to work out if we want to be polite and get to know them. We don't have company exercise functions that all workers are expected to attend.

*shrugs*
    It just seems a bit strange to me that we do that with eating, since it also strikes me as "unrefined".

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah... "unrefined"... that's it.

There's just something that bothers me really, about this whole Western tendency - especially British and American - towards generally sanitizing life so that any natural thing, anything sorta down to earth and real ends up being 'icky'. I know people who won't touch raw meat, or use a dishwasher purely because they don't like the thought of touching plates that have food on them that was someone else's... I just wonder and worry a bit about what seems to me to be a general move towards a kinda precious OCD-esque society... I don't think it's particularly healthy.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    There's just something that bothers me really, about this whole Western tendency - especially British and American - towards generally sanitizing life so that any natural thing, anything sorta down to earth and real ends up being 'icky'. I know people who won't touch raw meat, or use a dishwasher purely because they don't like the thought of touching plates that have food on them that was someone else's...
    I will venture a guess here that these people have never been parents.

There's nothing like taking up a sick kid's bedding for the third time in a night and re-making the bed because she's vomited all over the linens, her nightclothes, and herself.

But somebody's got to do it, and you're the parent, so it's you or nobody.

You get used to it. Love requires it.

Oberon

Here's something I've written before, thought I'd post it here as a case in point:

When you're the daddy, you come to realize that it's your job to handle whatever daddyhood throws at you.

Saturday my two-year-old needed a bath. She loves oranges, and she had eaten two big navel jobbies for lunch and was sticky all over.

"You want a bath, kid?" I asked, thinking she'd say yes. She normally LOVES to get a bath.

"NO!" she said. "Wan' watch Tales."

"You can't watch Veggie Tales with sticky orange all over you." Then I had an idea; we were in the kitchen, and the surroundings inspired me. "You want to take a bath in the sink?"

She considered a moment. "Uh-huh," she said, nodding.

"I'm gonna wash you like a dish," I told her, filling the kitchen sink with water.

A while later I was watching my newly-clean daughter as she sat in our kitchen sink and played with plastic cups, endlessly filling and pouring, filling and pouring. Then she stopped filling and pouring.

"Hmmm," I said to myself. "I wonder why she's got that funny, intent look on her face."

The reason became apparent when it bobbed to the surface. Apparently she'd had an orange for breakfast, too. Lotta fiber in them oranges.

I tell you, you haven't lived 'til you've resolved the problem of a toddler sitting in her own poop in your kitchen sink.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

I don't really like eating around people I don't know......
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    yupp

I have no problem people eating around me in public. Sometimes when I'm nauseus the smell gets to me and I want to puke, same thing happens when I'm the grocery store I'll get a wave of nausea at of nowhere and I want to hurl so I finish my shopping as quickly as possible. If you want to eat around me I'm not going to be like "You filthy, filthy little human, how dare you eat in front of me!"
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I tell you, you haven't lived 'til you've resolved the problem of a toddler sitting in her own poop in your kitchen sink.

I so hear you brotha!

I grew up on a farm in the country with no modern facilities or utilities, so I was used to drinking weak beer or tea because the water wasn't safe to drink neat (but I still drank it anyway when I was really hot from playing in the summer and just couldn't be bothered to walk the distance from the pump in the yard to the kitchen, in order to get a drink and just pumped it right over my head). Mucking out animals, dogs sleeping IN my bed, making cheese that was hung up in cloths from the rafters to mature for months with flies buzzing round it, y'know... haha... and I never came to any harm.

I've read that many scientists are hypothesizing that the huge increase in allergies and intolerances are largely due to this overly sanitized existence, where kids' immune systems aren't getting used to dealing with everyday germs and stuff.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    yupp

My mom would refuse antibotics unless absolutley nesseciery. But if we got a virus or a cold we wouldn't take antibotics and now that I'm older I have a good immune system never get sick, while majorit of my friends get everything that goes around. And what more when I do get sick it's less time and less intense then others. I'm sure their is a combination of genes aswell. My mom says "you have to swallow a tablespoon of dirt before you die"
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so