User Tag List

First 91011

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oooh... I've never made a cheese, but once an old woman made a cheese for me as a gift for visiting! it was awesome!

irrelevant, yes, but I just typed what I thought of!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I was at the dentists yesterday for a cleaning and this guy walks in with a bag of food from Chick Fil A. He proceeds to sit down next to me and open the box of chicken and smother it with BBQ sauce and start eating it. Here I am trying to watch Elf (with Will Ferrel) and he is sucking and smacking on his afternoon snack. The smell of his food did not go at all with the clean aesthetic smell of my dentists office. I wanted to throw up.

I couldn't help but wonder why he was doing this? Was his day so busy that the only time he had to eat was at his dentist appointment? Why couldn't he have eaten this in his car? I surely would have. Wasn't he at all worried about having bits of food stuck in his teeth for the dental hygienist to have to dig out?

Anyway I have been known to grab some take out and eat it in the car when I'm really hungry, but even then I am still conscience of other drivers watching me eat. Do they think I am a pig and can't wait till I get home? I think eating in public should be confined primarily to places where food is being served.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
    It does seem rather unpleasant, and I can't imagine it happening anywhere other than the ultimate consumer society... I've never seen anyone eat in a dentist's waiting room.

Of course, in the long long waiting lists in a hospital in the UK to see a casualty/ER person, it's normal to munch some chocolate or something from vending machine. A person could starve to death, else.

-Geoff

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It does seem rather unpleasant, and I can't imagine it happening anywhere other than the ultimate consumer society... I've never seen anyone eat in a dentist's waiting room.

Of course, in the long long waiting lists in a hospital in the UK to see a casualty/ER person, it's normal to munch some chocolate or something from vending machine. A person could starve to death, else.

-Geoff
    Do they have Cadbury's in the vending machines? Mmmm... Cadbury's Dairy Milk!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Do they have Cadbury's in the vending machines? Mmmm... Cadbury's Dairy Milk!
    Yep.. and what if they sold them in the dentist's waiting room?

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't think it's a big deal if you eat wherever you want as long as:

-you're not disrespecting anybody (i.e. not in other stores [esp. in clothes stores], religious "places," a stranger's house, I have a reasonable mental list of this stuff)
    -you use good manners. most important.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

MBTI
    INTP

the only time i like to be in close proximity to other people eating is when i'm eating as well. for some reason watching others eat makes me uncomfortable.

/shrug

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Apparantly eating is something that needs to be done in private or in group when everybody eats at the same moment. And yet, business lunches should belong to the last group, and I always find that very awkward.
    Eating at the dentist's is something that beats me. Not only does it irritate the other patients, but probably the dentist as well. And indeed: the combination of the odour of the dentist's office and the smell of BBQ sauce seems revolting. But that must also have been the case for the "foodoffender" himself. A very strange story indeed
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    He probably was grabbing a free second to eat, but YUCK -- chicken and anti-septic smell together. GAG. I used to eat in my car, not the office, and never before a dental appt.-- You'd have food all jammed up in your grill! Nasty!
    i'm gonna derail my own thread by introducing you to your new boyfriend. And the best part is that he's a hair stylist!

Time is a delicate mistress.

figsfiggyfigs

I used to LOATHE eating in public. It bothered me so much. I've mostly gotten over it though. I do have a bad habit of constantly covering my mouth while I eat, either with my hand or a folded up napkin.
    Now I can bust a plate of sushi on a train, or a cheese burger while I walk. NO SHAME.