User Tag List

First 891011 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

It never even occurred to me that some people wouldn't want to eat in public... I love food.

Although I can see why not to eat anything too smelly. Eating limburger cheese on an airplane would be cruel and unusual punishment to the other passengers.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

I hate eating, I don't like seeing and hearing other people eat and I don't want to see, smell or think about food when I'm not hungry. It's my least favorite bodily function and I don't want an audience for it.

MBTI
    INFJ

I wouldnt eat before entering a dentists office. That's, I dont know, strange? I would be very awkward knowing that my dentist was picking at my lunch. (ew) And in general, I never did like eating in public. Even in the cafeteria, I'm like..."I eat like a slob..." and then I feel bad, and end up eating at home.

MBTI
    GONE

The dentist's office was strange mostly because the dude was gonna get his teeth checked and most people brush and floss right before someone starts poking around in their mouth for cavities. Also, dentists' offices usually smell chemical and off -- it smells really sweet to me, like novocaine and ground up dust from teeth -- NOT the most tantalizing environment for snacking. Blech. I agree, that's a turn-off.

I think really old school etiquette was based on 'when in Rome' and 'don't do anything that could possibly offend anyone' -- similar to the movie quote Vortex had. So basically even when you were eating in public at a restaurant, you had to be as discreet as possible. The whole 'don't bite off more than you can chew at once' and 'don't open your mouth really wide when you bite your food' has reallly repressed phallic Freudian undertones. Very Victorian. And you know those guys were freaking repressed kinky bastards.

Modern standards are much more lax, for better and worse. I think eating in public is only offensive in so much as chewing gum would be offensive in the same situation. I think it's bad form to eat in class, though I understand sometimes with your schedule you have to or otherwise starve. Eating really loudly and indiscreetly is the kicker, if you try to be discreet is shows you're at least conscious of your environment. Eating in public is rude when it's obvious you aren't paying as much attention or taking something as seriously as you're expected to.

Otherwise, I'm with Sub. People gotta eat. Barring horrible manners and just contextually inappropriate places, I don't mind.

Having said all that, when I eat at functions/restaurants, I can be very self-conscious and cover my mouth when I chew. It's a habit, I do it without thinking. I look funny when I chew. I try to eat as much as possible without talking to anyone and then I chat. Or I just pretend to eat and pick at a carrot stick while talking to people. Chewing/Talking is such a fine art.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    It's my least favorite bodily function...
    You mean you'd rather expel used food than take in fresh?

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

GirlAmerica

I dont think it would have been appropriate to be eating in the dentist's office...I may have just assumed they were running on a tight schedule. I really would not have noticed it, generally in a situation like that I am reading or something else to occupy my time because time spent sitting like that is torture to me.
    Eating like that (unless they have disgusting manners) doesnt bother me.

Sniffing, sorting, blowing etc.........now that crosses the line if it goes on past a little.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I always feel stuffed after I eat even though I don't eat that much. Whereas I feel much better after dropping a deuce.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

I think that eating with other people helps bonding. It's like when you fart in front of your close friends.

Once we were doing a test in English class and it was totally silent. Then, even to my own surprise, I made a really long fart noise...I was so surprised that I nearly spat out the gum that I was chewing. Half the class laughed it's guts out. Even the teacher mocked me. Well, not necessarily in a mean way..

But by the end of the period, my class was a lot closer than it was before the incident!
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    ...making cheese that was hung up in cloths from the rafters to mature for months with flies buzzing round it, y'know...
    sub, how did you make cheese?

I think I'd be interested in trying it.

-da mouse