User Tag List

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Plodding, waiting or knowing???

I had the idea for this thread earlier and after reading the 1st page of the waiting thread, i thought i better get typing.

My question is .. Have you always known your path in life? Where you're heading? Career wise? Or have you been one of those people who have just taken opportunities as they arose?

At 31, i don't know what i want career wise. My kids are now 13 and 15 so soon they'll be leaving home () and then it'll be my time. I have never grown up following a list of expectations of what i want from life other than be the best mother possible to my boys. Travelling the world sounds cool and i have no qualms doing this alone, but i still have to earn money. I need a good career or good pay packet but i won't attend uni. I don't want to waste my time .. I could be dead in 50 years, lol

Do all good things come to those who wait or is it best to jump in, do something then if it doesn't turn good, then look at other options???

If you want to share your experiences then that'll be cool.

Thank you.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    My question is .. Have you always known your path in life? Where you're heading? Career wise? Or have you been one of those people who have just taken opportunities as they arose?
    I've never really had any definite idea or several years of my life planned out ahead in detail. Well, I've had a general outline, considering what I love the most and the field of studies I would like to enter, what direction I would like to specialize in and what I would have to do to get there.

With all my education and stuff, I've always had this general direction based on what I've felt I love to do and luckily I haven't had to compromise in that. But I've never been that strict about it because since you can't control how things will turn out I haven't really seen any reason why I would worry about it that much. In hindsight, I've actually enjoyed the little detours along the way.

So, in a way I've never actually walked a certain path but I've never just waited around either. I have a few years of my education left, I'm taking it slow and I'm really trying to enjoy it as best as I can. And if I happen to end up with a career in that field then it's great but if I happen to find something I love to do even more, then that's perfectly fine by me. I'm not going to stress about it and I will deal with it when the time comes.

Do all good things come to those who wait or is it best to jump in, do something then if it doesn't turn good, then look at other options???
    Nothing comes to you without any effort. You'd still have to take initiative and start doing something, only then the options arise and you will have the opportunity to refine what you do or don't want to do. That's what I think anyway.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    yeah I can honestly say that I have pretty much always known my path in life - or at least if I use "always" to mean ever since I was a little kid. But, I think you can still take opportunities as they arise even if you decide to clearly define what your path is going to be. For me personally flexibility is nice, but I've just never really needed to use it in my case since I haven't ever changed my mind about what I want to be both professionally and personally (yet)...