User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "OK, I have not idea what that is."

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    OMG pt, we've fluff-derailed. :blushing:
    Eh, I do it all the time. Although... I do serious derails!

(Current weapon of choice: IQ... still.)

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    (Before I realized it I was going to reply "Yeah, well, economists do it with models. " )
    Accountants and figures too, don't you forget!

Despite the fact the past few posts above were inside jokes, I still had SOME idea of what was being said.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    I wouldn't have had any idea what you meant by optimizing a particle simulation--wouldn't even have guessed that you meant something with computers.

In situations like that, most people are just looking for a conversation window. When you throw them a curve by using terminology they don't readily understand, they may feel like you're putting them off and subtly telling them that you're not interested in conversation except with people who speak the same lingo. Their response, which makes you feel like you're being judged, may simply be a reaction to feeling like you've judged them. Neither of you is in the wrong; you've both just misunderstood each other.

That's what I think.

I'm fairly intelligent but I don't know anything about programming computers so I wouldn't have known you could even have any control over particles in a computer program. It sounds more like a science experiment to me.

If someone had said that to me, I would have done one of two things. If I felt welcomed by their body language and tone of voice, I would have asked them to explain it further. If I felt like they were too intellectual for me and I wouldn't understand what they were talking about, I would bow out of the conversation.

I would not have admitted ignorance though. I have a hard time admitting ignorance. And I can easily feel like people are flaunting their superior intelligence just to make me feel ignorant. So it depends on the vibes I get from the person. If they seem to have a benevolent soul, I might ask more questions.