User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Heh, you know what's cute about this? Thinking that economics is more interesting than accounting.
    Hey, on this board at least one non-economist has started a thread about economics whereas I haven't seen any threads about accounting.

See, when someone says "I'm an economist", I say "I'm so sorry"... but when I someone says "I'm an accountant", I say "Least you make money".
    Touche.

Aren't you inadvertently proving that economics must be more interesting though?

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    How sad is it that I didn't know you were in Economics despite your screen name? I assumed it was just a hobby of yours...
    Well, it's my username because it's also my hobby.

and I heard you were unemployed anyway.
    Yes, I've taken a couple of months off to, uh, post here but it's not like I've forgotten what it's like to tell people that I study economics.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Hey, on this board at least one non-economist has started a thread about economics whereas I haven't seen any threads about accounting.
    Well, sure. Accountants are out working and doing their job

Touche.

Aren't you inadvertently proving that economics must be more interesting though?
    Says the economist...

(But of course, just to poke you one more time... it's equally true that not everyone may have the... aptitude... to be an accountant. Some will have to settle being economists. Muahahahah. All jokes aside, I rather like the practical parts of economics. But I swear, after reading the "Tall Tax" arguments, I'm again reminded why I hate it.)

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, sure. Accountants are out working and doing their job
    Hence the emphasis on the economics thread having been started by a non-economist.

(But of course, just to poke you one more time... it's equally true that not everyone may have the... aptitude... to be an accountant. Some will have to settle being economists. Muahahahah.
    Cheap shot considering I've already granted you that I don't have the aptitude to be an accountant.

All jokes aside, I rather like the practical parts of economics. But I swear, after reading the "Tall Tax" arguments, I'm again reminded why I hate it.)
    You know, if you embraced economics wholeheartedly you would seriously shake my faith in MBTI...

MBTI
    ISTP

Hence the emphasis on the economics thread having been started by a non-economist.
    Hmm, point taken. No accounting for taste

Cheap shot considering I've already granted you that I don't have the aptitude to be an accountant.
    Heh heh, I know, I know. But just saying equilibrium should be used deductively very very carefully (a fully assumed generalised conclusion can lead to bad specific conclusions)

You know, if you embraced economics wholeheartedly, you would seriously shake my faith in MBTI...
    Hmmm... interesting. Applied motivation. Maybe economics is useful!

(Funny enough, I don't mind economics that much. This ongoing joke really is just because I've already done it and now have to do it again. I just think it's a mis-applied discipline - and I'm thrilled that you are looking at it more behaviourally.)

MBTI
    INTJ

Hmm, point taken. No accounting for taste

Heh heh, I know, I know. But just saying equilibrium should be used deductively very very carefully (a fully assumed generalised conclusion can lead to bad specific conclusions)
    Agreed.

(I actually debated the use of the word 'proving' with myself for that very reason but opted for J speak for maximal impact since that sentence wasn't my actual argument.)

Hmmm... interesting. Applied motivation. Maybe economics is useful!

(Funny enough, I don't mind economics that much. This ongoing joke really is just because I've already done it and now have to do it again. I just think it's a mis-applied discipline - and I'm thrilled that you are looking at it more behaviourally.)
    I know.

Economics brings out the devil's advocate in me. I try to infect laymen into thinking in terms of supply and demand and incentives (staunchly representing neoclassical economics along the way), but when I'm around libertarians or fellow students who haven't taken behavioral courses I get out the biases and other criticisms. Trips me up to have you around here where I'm in the first mode.

Oberon

That reminds me of an old joke:

Q: What's a statistician?

A: It's a person who's good with numbers, but doesn't have the personality to be an accountant.

Please note that I've said nothing here about economists.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    That reminds me of an old joke:
    OMG pt, we've fluff-derailed. :blushing:

Oberon

OMG pt, we've fluff-derailed. :blushing:
    Very well, then.

Where do you stand with regard to commodity-based currency vs. fiat money?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Very well, then.
    Wait, I wasn't chastising you I just realized what we'd done.

(Before I realized it I was going to reply "Yeah, well, economists do it with models. " )

(Before I realized it I was going to reply "Yeah, well, economists do it with models. " )
    I am in the wrong field.