User Tag List

View Poll Results: You are going to be a citizen of a new country. But you get to choose what kind of go

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • No government whatsoever

4 18.18%
  • Very limited government- no national army/ military

7 31.82%
  • Limited government- with a national army/military

7 31.82%
  • Big Government

4 18.18%
  • All powerful government

0 0%
First 123

Thread: Choose

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You mean Greece man.

Anyway, the military-industrial complex in the US probably employs a huge amount of people and it costs US taxpayers and the world probably more than simply cash revenue (although I'm not entirely opposed to US foreign policy either, there's too much in the way of simple minded peaceniks and international ingrates).

Greece has a lot of problems, its not simply employment on the tax tab, plenty of countries do that well, like Germany and France, it keeps the money in circulation, it doesnt get taken out and put in someones Swiss account, and those state employees can support myriad private businesses, particularly small businesses which would otherwise go to the wall, as consumers with spending money/disposable income.

No, Greece is corrupt, its gone the wrong way about dealing with the corruption too, people didnt turn up to work on time or stay the whole day so they awarded bonuses for coming in on time or staying the whole day (staying the whole day isnt necessary in offices which would flexi time, that's not exclusive to the public/state services but it doesnt work if everyone takes half days, all the time), there were committees set up to supervise projects which wherent ever wound up and people get receiving payments (like for monitoring a lake that dried up or stuff like that) or ghost working (people worked from home, then they discovered they could work two jobs this way).

To be honest there's countries like Somalia which should be paradigms of success by libertarian free market standards and they arent. Despite being upheld as a minarchist ideal the Swiss have a pretty generous welfare regime and public services, such as publically owned railways, which the cantonal small governments and consensus requisites prevent the privatisation off.

A better debate than the supposed size of government, small vs. big, is the scope of government, doing a specific, limited number of functions vs. doing pretty much everything and being expected to behave paternalistically.

What bothers me about Greece is that all of our economies (America’s, Spain’s, France’s, England’s, Canada’s) are interconnected. If one goes down, we all feel the hit. If many go down, we all go down. You can probably hear how upset I am by reading the way that I type.

But anyway, the reason why I generalized Big Gov. vs. Small Gov. is that as any position of power that is not held accountable, will begin to act in its own self interest (such as pushing bills that directly benefit you campaign supporters) as apposed to giving the people you rule over what they want (like tax breaks).

Assholes are attracted by the power provided by these positions. They don’t really care about being responsible with their power, they just want to wield it. So, a large government (if it is not held accountable by its own people) will become corrupt.
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    What bothers me about Greece is that all of our economies (America’s, Spain’s, France’s, England’s, Canada’s) are interconnected. If one goes down, we all feel the hit. If many go down, we all go down. You can probably hear how upset I am by reading the way that I type.

But anyway, the reason why I generalized Big Gov. vs. Small Gov. is that as any position of power that is not held accountable, will begin to act in its own self interest (such as pushing bills that directly benefit you campaign supporters) as apposed to giving the people you rule over what they want (like tax breaks).

Assholes are attracted by the power provided by these positions. They don’t really care about being responsible with their power, they just want to wield it. So, a large government (if it is not held accountable by its own people) will become corrupt.
    No man, you dont understand.

That ideological rap doesnt sell in Greece, no one wants a tax break there, infact I'd safely say that wouldnt float any place outside of the US except perhaps Australia or NZ, its not corrupt officials or statesmen here looking after campaign financiers (you mean unions right?) by this standard the entire country is corrupt because they all want a government kick back, all of them.

The rap over here, particularly in Greece, is out and out communist, of an old style which doesnt pay much heed to economics and instead sees it all as the result of greed, capitalism in crisis or collapse etc.

It is a problem because economies are interconnected like never before but, hey, the UK economy took a massive hit becaus of problems created in the US by US banks misbehaving, the UK hasnt complained about it and the present prime minister hasnt even mentioned this in his re-election bids, he's talking as though recession just materialised out of thin air.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

There's no good answer here. And I'm grrr that in the options presented yeu already put yeur opinion on one of them as a bad one to choose from the start :O

Anyways, I've thought about it for awhile... I think the best system would be very complex really. None of the options we've tried in the world yet work... they all have their flaws. They all have their corruption. It's different how much and how that corruption is displayed in each system, but none of them are perfect.

Best one I can currently think of, is an elected monarchy.

Srsly.

Have like thousands of kids, from birth, be taught how to do a specific role in government, and taught values and so on relating to such.

The idea being that someone who's taught and specialized from birth for a role will be far better suited to such, especially if morals are ingrained into them from an early age.

Cut out those that decide they don't want to do such (don't want to force them to), and the ones which just show too much risk of corruption early on due to flimsy morals that can't seem to be fixed. This reduces the number of possible problem cases substantially.

Allow for the option for someone who REALLY wants a particular role early on to receive additional training in that field (say they want to be queen or king or whotever) so that they can catch up with the ones who were taught early on.

Next off, make it so that it's still an election; yeu still have to vote for yeur monarch choice; s/he doesn't get in just because they're born into it, they still have to earn it, they'll just be much better prepared.

Furthermore, provide additional voting power to those who put effort into learning of the choices on who to vote for. I find it silly that someone who spends a large portion of their life learning about whot the parties mean and their differences and values and such, gets an equal vote to someone who can barely spell their own name.

This won't be a perfect one, but it should severely limit alot of potential corruption and provide additional incentive to pay attention to politics. Yeu shouldn't be able to cast a serious vote if yeu're voting for someone just because yeu like the sound of their name more than the other guy... (sadly I did do this the first time I voted... I'm quite ashamed of that fact... there were two people running for the same position from the same party... I knew about the party but not the individuals so had to guess >.< )

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

A anti-federalist type government.