User Tag List

Thread: Simulatedworld

Simulatedworld

I owe an apology to Simulatedworld, and here is the reason, just click on -

YouTube - Jane McGonigal: Gaming can make a better world

I was wrong and it seems Gaming can make a better world. And Sim leads the way.
    Likes elodia liked this post

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

She lost me at 6:55 when she said we are evolving and games can help us evolve more quickly to solve the world's problems. I just read something today--I'll even quote it, written by a well-published Ph.D. in evolutionary psychology who says:

Why couldn't humans have evolved during the last 10,000 years?

They could, but not much. Evolutionary psychologists downplay the possibility of significant cognitive evolution in the 10,000 or so years since the advent of agriculture (a period of time known as the Holocene). Scientifically, 10,000 years (500 generations) is not much time for natural selection to act, and it certainly is not enough time to evolve new, complex adaptations—sophisticated mechanisms coded for by numerous genes.

If we had as thorough an understanding of our psychological adaptations as we do our physiological adaptations, then perhaps we might be able to identify some simple psychological adaptations based on one or two genes that evolved during the Holocene; these adaptations might be population specific, or they might be pan-human. But we understand almost nothing about our evolved cognitive abilities.--Edward H. Hagen, Institute for Theoretical Biology, Berlin

So, that Little Johnny is going to evolve his mind with his buddy, Jimmie, and be able to solve our worst problems is just not likely at best, and ridiculous at worst.

However, can gaming be beneficial for our world? Withdrawing from the world into game can cause extreme introversion, depression, low self-esteem, poor dietary habits, lack of family life, ADD/ADHD, poor eyesight, asocial-possibly antisocial behavior, essentially a wide gap between real life and virtual life; which for some can become insurmountable.

Those would have to be quite some virtual gains to overcome all the real world fallout from too much gaming.

If Jane Mcgonigal believes that this huge force of amateur thinkers (because they wouldn't have time to become academicians if they gamed as much as she says they should) can solve problems better than scientists and volunteers and writers and aid workers and everyone else out in the real world, that is just not very logical, and is the stuff of a sci-fi geeky gamer movie where a pimply white boy, and his group of awkward comrades are the unlikely heroes, then she has been living in her fantasy world a bit too long. Can anyone say Te/Se mangled loop?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Withdrawing from the world into game can cause extreme introversion, depression, low self-esteem, poor dietary habits, lack of family life, ADD/ADHD, poor eyesight, asocial-possibly antisocial behavior, essentially a wide gap between real life and virtual life; which for some can become insurmountable.

I feel like these are questionable assertions. I'll give you that certain people will have problems like these, but I doubt if it's anything like that for the vast majority of gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    She lost me at 6:55 when she said we are evolving and games can help us evolve more quickly to solve the world's problems. I just read something today--I'll even quote it, written by a well-published Ph.D. in evolutionary psychology who says:

So, that Little Johnny is going to evolve his mind with his buddy, Jimmie, and be able to solve our worst problems is just not likely at best, and ridiculous at worst.

However, can gaming be beneficial for our world? Withdrawing from the world into game can cause extreme introversion, depression, low self-esteem, poor dietary habits, lack of family life, ADD/ADHD, poor eyesight, asocial-possibly antisocial behavior, essentially a wide gap between real life and virtual life; which for some can become insurmountable.

Those would have to be quite some virtual gains to overcome all the real world fallout from too much gaming.

If Jane Mcgonigal believes that this huge force of amateur thinkers (because they wouldn't have time to become academicians if they gamed as much as she says they should) can solve problems better than scientists and volunteers and writers and aid workers and everyone else out in the real world, that is just not very logical, and is the stuff of a sci-fi geeky gamer movie where a pimply white boy, and his group of awkward comrades are the unlikely heroes, then she has been living in her fantasy world a bit too long. Can anyone say Te/Se mangled loop?
    I completely agree with you that Gaming will not affect the gene pool because there hasn't been enough time.

However Gaming does affect our learning and how we learn. And there are an awful lot of Gamers in the world like Sim.

Of course Jane McGonigal does have a vested interest as she is a professional Game designer.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post

I feel like these are questionable assertions. I'll give you that certain people will have problems like these, but I doubt if it's anything like that for the vast majority of gamers.
    I didn't talk about incidence. But I will assert that the above conditions are likely directly correlated with time spent gaming per day.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    GONE

You know, given the thread title, I was expecting something more...exciting.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post

LMAO, as long as someone doesn't get started on "Evercrack", then it's all good.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    LMAO, as long as someone doesn't get started on "Evercrack", then it's all good.
    What's Evercrack?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimee View Post
    What's Evercrack?
    Sim's favorite kind.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Aimee View Post
    What's Evercrack?
    The nickname for a supposedly extremely addicting game called Everquest. I have never played it but just wanted to say it.