User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Don't go to friggin law school

So I'm not allowed to post in "Law School Exhaustion" thread anymore, hence I'm moving my rant here.

If you are considering to go to law school, you should reconsider. For most people its a waste of time and a lot of money.... not to mention disappointement and a newly acquired disdain for humanity.

Most lawyers get paid shit, get treated like shit, and have more than double the rate of substance abuse of the general population. And not the cool substance abuse like coke and hookers, but the sad substance abuse like drinking Popov vodka and crying themselves to sleep.

There is a glut of attorneys and a severe lack of jobs, but new law schools keep opening up because any shithead who can drool on an LSAT application will be given a student loan, which law schools will gladly cash.

Anyway, I can go on for days about this thing, but if my opinion was to be to posted on Westlaw, the summary would read "Don't go. Chances are, you gonna get raped."

Disclosure: I'm an attorney with a relatively cushy job, which I got through a bit of luck and a lot of special circumstances (i.e. got hooked up for things not related to my legal achivements). Still, I think most of the profession nowadays is bullshit.

I usually don't care for helping strangers, but its one of those things that drives me nuts. If you got questions, feel free to ask.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oh... I caught on to the fact that I didn't want to be a lawyer when I worked at the prosecutor's office for a bit... it was all paperwork and complaints

I took the LSAT and did well, but decided I'd rather eat my right foot than actually go to law school
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP

To what extent is pedigree important in landing a decent job?

What kind of stats would one need to get into one of the top law schools? (LSAT score, GPA, etc.)?

Are there any jobs in law that are: 1) not soul-killing; 2) pay a good salary; 3) make a meaningful contribution to mankind?

Is Law School Exhaustion someone's blog?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    oh... I caught on to the fact that I didn't want to be a lawyer when I worked at the prosecutor's office for a bit... it was all paperwork and complaints

I took the LSAT and did well, but decided I'd rather eat my right foot than actually go to law school
    See, you're one of the rare people who actually experienced it before making a decision. And, unsurprisingly, you made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    To what extent is pedigree important in landing a decent job?
    If you didn't go to an Ivy League school, you'd have to be something like top 10% of your class to get a well paid job straight out of school.

So to put it bluntly, its all about pedigree.

Sometimes the employers get so fucking petty as to ask an attorney who has 10 YEARS EXPERIENCE for their law school transcript. True fucking story - happened to a colleague of mine.

What kind of stats would one need to get into one of the top law schools? (LSAT score, GPA, etc.)?
    You can look that up on princentonreview and what not.
    Don't believe the "average salaries" that law schools report there though.

Are there any jobs in law that are: 1) not soul-killing; 2) pay a good salary; 3) make a meaningful contribution to mankind?
    Yeah there are. Just like there are sane and intelligent bums, and hookers with a heart of gold. Not many though. And those jobs pay shit (the intersting, helping mankind ones) and are hard to get... meaning don't count on it unless you went to a top rated school and have rich daddy to pay your bills (which takes us back to that whole pedigree thing)
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Is Law School Exhaustion someone's blog?
    Not sure...

All I know is, my kind ain't welcomed there no more
    *spits*

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Most lawyers get paid shit, get treated like shit, and have more than double the rate of substance abuse of the general population. And not the cool substance abuse like coke and hookers, but the sad substance abuse like drinking Popov vodka and crying themselves to sleep.
    My family is friends with a lawyer named Greg. He's got a nice looking house and a cute dog, but he's been needing to clip coupons at Ralphs in order to keep his other expenses from killing him. His clients don't really come to him with big cases so he doesn't rake in too much money at a time. He's practically living hand to mouth.

Which is too bad. He's one of the most honest, respectable, even handed human being I know.
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    My family is friends with a lawyer named Greg. He's got a nice looking house and a cute dog, but he's been needing to clip coupons at Ralphs in order to keep his other expenses from killing him.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyBunny View Post
    Which is too bad. He's one of the most honest, respectable, even handed human being I know.
    That's often the lot of good people.

OP: I've read about oversaturation of lawyers. This is why med school is so strict about the number they put out into the field.

I certainly believe lawyers are assholes, and I often wonder if anything is ever going to change when these same types are often obtaining positions of power.

The New Larry Summers: Racist Email Jeopardizes Harvard Law Student's Career - Racist email - Jezebel

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Anything more useless?

Wait, yes...

Business school.
    Go to sleep, iguana.