User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Law school can be fun (except for civil procedure which gets fun later in the field with the nasty tricks you can play via manipulation of its somewhat arbitrary rules). Its just a game. The professors purposely lose a lot of the first year students because many play "hide the ball" but just talk to a recent graduate at the school and they will let you in on the real game.

Start with the end and then catch up at the beginning. Order and study the study aids outside the actual class curriculum exams and model answers, then the legal outlines, then read canned briefs and if time read the actual class curriculum casebooks and mark them up with different colored magic markers.

Being an attorney can be a bitch especially if you work for a slave driver law firm or you have a lot of extraneous pressures at the door of your private practice beyond the work itself. Being Zen (or just not giving a fuck) helps.

When it comes down to it, the worse thing about the law is the clients. Clients lie almost as incessantly as the cops and judges. The best ones are the criminals and the really cool ones usually end up in jail/prison which is a bummer. Civil litigants are like junkies and the attorney is their pusher alternating between overly cut product and and overdose purity.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ----

i'm a lawyer and i really like my job. i work in public policy, so i get to be creative, which i love. many of my law school colleagues hate their jobs - HARD.

i found in order to get through law school i had to take a year off in the middle to travel o/s and have fun. if i hadn't i may have burnt out.

i must say you can't just finish law school and expect to land in an awesome fulfilling job - it's not a golden ticket. you need to be VERY strategic about your career in order to find the best opportunities. it also helps to have great networks.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Interesting. That was the first thing our professors and dean told us on the first day of orientation for law school.

Everyone was scared thereafter of this inevitable truth, but lo and behold, they all pretty much became alkies by the end of the first term.
    Well, it looks like spamtar is a lawyer too.

I should have known - he was already sauced when he showed up to the LA meetup, and by the time it was over, he consumed enough alcohol to make a horse sterile... which is understandable, given his occupation.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

We are a resilient breed. Can't poison us with alcohol, cant beet us with a stick...Well half right.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Dali

My lawyer ESTP father begged and cajoled me for SIX MONTHS to apply to law school. Apparently, he was absolutely certain that I'd make a great lawyer.

I'd rather eat broken glass. (no offense)

MBTI
    INTJ

Sounds like your father hates you (no offense)
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Dali

Yeah, I already kind of knew that.

sammy

Dali? hmm interesting.

Yeah, Edgar, I am surprised by all the law-student-sex that went on given how drunk (to the point of sterility) most of them are.

MBTI
    INTJ

I must say... law students fucking sounds downright revolting.

MBTI
    INTJ

A friend of mine works as a dominatrix.

She told me a story about one of her clients - this older guy. He asked her to torture his nipples until they bled, then he went to jerk off in the corner. After the session was over he told her that he works as an attorney. He said that he is a Vietnam vet, but practicing law was by far the worst thing he had to do, and if it wasn't for the dominatrix sessions, he would have blown his brains out long time ago.

No, I'm not making this up.