User Tag List

First 23456 Last

sammy

AND RAPE.

AND RAPE.

AND LAW SCHOOL SUCKS. I agree with Edgar. Don't do it. There are better and less life-extinguishing ways to achieve your goals.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    But I want to defend the weak and poor...
    Yeah, if you attend law school, you'll spend a lot of time defending the weak and the poor... mostly via self defense.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    IsTP
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The number of lawyers I've met who are glad they went to law school and became lawyers is but a sliver of the number of lawyers I've met who die a little inside every day they practice law and repay student loans.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    See, you're one of the rare people who actually experienced it before making a decision. And, unsurprisingly, you made the right choice.

If you didn't go to an Ivy League school, you'd have to be something like top 10% of your class to get a well paid job straight out of school.

So to put it bluntly, its all about pedigree.

Sometimes the employers get so fucking petty as to ask an attorney who has 10 YEARS EXPERIENCE for their law school transcript. True fucking story - happened to a colleague of mine.

You can look that up on princentonreview and what not.
    Don't believe the "average salaries" that law schools report there though.

Yeah there are. Just like there are sane and intelligent bums, and hookers with a heart of gold. Not many though. And those jobs pay shit (the intersting, helping mankind ones) and are hard to get... meaning don't count on it unless you went to a top rated school and have rich daddy to pay your bills (which takes us back to that whole pedigree thing)
    Most of this goes for ibanking and MBB consulting too! haha...oh wait...I'm supposed to stop being so cynical

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    The number of lawyers I've met who are glad they went to law school and became lawyers is but a sliver of the number of lawyers I've met who die a little inside every day they practice law and repay student loans.
    When I was attending CLE classes for new attorneys, we had a substance abuse counslor (who was also an attorney) give a speech about how lawyers are vunerable to substance abuse due to the nature of their jobs. He gave a personal example of how he first started boozing, then ended up shooting heroin in a ditch before his wife/family/friends saved his pittiful ass.

Yes, that was part of our "welcome to the profession" ceremony.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    IsTP

When I was attending CLE classes for new attorneys, we had a substance abuse counslor (who was also an attorney) give a speech about how lawyers are vunerable to substance abuse due to the nature of their jobs. He gave a personal example of how he first started boozing, then ended up shooting heroin in a ditch before his wife/family/friends saved his pittiful ass.

:yim_rolling_on_the_:yim_rolling_on_the_
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Well I wasn't going to go to law school, but NOW I WILL JUST TO PROVE YOU WRONG!

Also, I'm pretty sure people face this harsh reality no matter what field they go into. All these silly kids fresh out of school think their degree somehow sets them up on its own, without them needing to build up contacts and work for top grades at a top school and to strategize to get ahead. PSHT... a degree is only the first of a million steps to get to where you want to be!

MBTI
    ESFJ

I was admitted to Pepperdine's business school! I am still thinking about the JD/MBA program. Interestingly (sadly?), Kenneth Starr will no longer be the Dean of the School of Law. He is becoming President of Baylor University.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

sammy

Interesting. That was the first thing our professors and dean told us on the first day of orientation for law school.

Everyone was scared thereafter of this inevitable truth, but lo and behold, they all pretty much became alkies by the end of the first term.