User Tag List

123 Last

Default What do you think about Eastern Europe ?

The reason why this is not in political section is because this way I will probably get a bigger feedback (what I want). Plus this thread does not have to be ultra serious thread.

Anyway on this forum Eastern Europeans are clearly a minority. So I am wondering what people around the world think about this part of the world ?

I ask since it looks to me that we are likely to be represented in global media as lunatics, people who don't care that much about human rights , people who support totalitarism etc. (but to be honest this does not mean I am saying this is totally incorrect) Also I have seen a number of times a comment "Ah, those crazy Russians" on the youtube.

On the other hand posters from this part of the world or posters who have roots from this part of the world on average seem a bit more eccentric than average. (but I could be wrong about this)

So what do you associate/think about this part of the world ? (be honest)

Stories and anecdotes are welcome.

MBTI
    ENFJ

The only thing I keep hearing about is genocide there, so...yeah.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I love people from eastern europe. They're usually really open minded (I mean, not conservative) and don't care about politically correct. It's harder to talk about the countries, since there seems to be such a big variety of outcomes? Slovenia, Czech, Croatia, Romania and Bulgaria are faring quite well it seems, while the others are a mixed bag (Moldova and Estonia being among the worst-off european countries).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Most of the people from Easter Europe I have met have either been students or immigrant workers. Most of them have been from Poland, Russia, lithuania and Romania. They seemed very much the same as everyone else I have ever met. The biggest differance was that they usually had the sort of practical attidues that low wealth generates. I always got along with them quite well.

Most of the troubles in the area seem to be inherited from things that have gone before. I don't think its because of anything inherant to the people who live there.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I don't really have an opinion about Eastern Europe. My mother was born in Hungary and we're visiting her country at least once a year. I actually only have an opinion about the Hungarian people I know. Some things that I think about them:

- They're always talking about food and when you're visiting them, they start feeding you lots and lots of food. Most of it is very fat and sugarry. Whenever I come home from Hungary, I have to start dieting. They just don't get it when I tell them I'm not hungry. Once I went to my mother's cousin and his family. They had put three kilos of pork on the barbeque just for my parents and me. WTF?! I'm just a little girl, all that meat doesn't fit in my stomach!
    - They all seem to think I'm adorable and they're always babytalking to me, even though I'm 18. They know me all my life, and every time I visit them, they're surprised that I speak a few words Hungarian. I always have, but they seem to forget. Hungarian children are more fun to hang out with than the adults and I think it's funny that they always think that I'm just a normal Hungarian with a speaking disability (Hungarians have a specific "r" that I can't pronounce and I have a strong Dutch accent).
    - They always buy me presents to compensate the fact that they're not really speaking to me, because I'm a foreigner. That annoys me. I don't want them to spend they're money on me. My parents earn ten times as much money as they and the prices in the Newtherlands are lower, and they don't buy me presents either.
    - When Dutch people are watching tv, they always point at people and say "He's gay, he's gay, she's gay, he's gay". When my Hungarian family and aquaintances are watching tv, they point at people and say "that's a Jew, that's a Jew, that's a Jew, that's a Jew".
    - They're kinda nice to you in your face, but they start criticizing you behind your back.
    - Overall, I think these Hungarian family members and acquaintances are adorable little Eric Cartman wannabes: slightly antisemitic, materialistic and hungry. but they can't help it.
    - The younger generations are more sympathetic and they seem more interested in other people and cultures than older generations. Younger people seem to be more open minded (that;s very different here, young Dutch people are conservative and rather close minded) and less focussed on food.
    - Hungary itself: everything is expensive (I've checked it on our last visit, most things are three times as expensive as here), the food is very sweet, the weather is a drama (boiling hot summers, freezing cold winters), the politics are unstable. Pretty extreme, actually.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I always hung out with the european students in college and the exchange students in high school (especially the Russians, which fueled the idea in my hometown that I was going to grow up and be a communist spy )

all of the eastern europeans I knew spoke EXCELLENT english- they all said that they'd started learning other languages in school at a very early age- I'm envious of that!

they were definitley trendier than the midwesterners they were surrounded by... I knew one high school senior from Moscow who was quite depressed that we had no clubs around

I didn't meet any eastern europeans who did not have strong political opinions... especially the Romanians I knew

From my understanding, there's a great love of gardening in quite a few eastern european countries... vegetables, not flowers- I heard that from almost EVERYONE

of course that's all just hearsay from a small (well educated) sample group- I really don't like to judge a region until I spend some time there... not as a tourist
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Moldova and Estonia being among the worst-off european countries.
    Interesting. What makes you say that?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I've had lots of contact with Russians, Lithuanian Russians, Poles, Romanians, a few Croats and a couple of Serbs.
    Over-all, it's only the Russian nationals that have stricken me as overall odd and somewhat fatalistic.
    The Lithuanian Russians were quite different in terms of communication and such.
    They all spoke really good english and worked skillfully and hard. They were buckets of fun to drink with on Fridays after work
    One of the guys had a really cool surname: Kalashnikov!

Anyway. The few croats and serbs I know are all sort of... Tough guys?
    But they're OK. This one guy is hard as nails and structured beyond belief, but a kind person.

I do think that easterners are different than us in a few ways... But it's not always negative, to be sure.
    Eastern Europeans seem to be more ground and center. Naturally they would have to be that, because in many places life has been rough.
    I still think Russians are crazy, though. I live less than a day's drive from Russia, and I interact with Russians quite often...
    It is a very different culture, despite the distance.
    They seem to still have a very "old" perspective on things, like human lives and risk.
    Poles are sometimes like that, too, in the "risk" category.
    I've never seen a Pole or Russian wear protective goggles, breathing filters or ear protection on the construction sites and the wharf where I worked.
    Always seemed fairly odd. The stuff was available to everyone.

Anyway. As far as human interaction goes, I always found generosity to be a huge part of eastern ways.
    I love that. Here, people are fairly cheap at times, I must admit.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENFJ

Perhaps I should explain:

Most of my great-grandparents immigrated from Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland, Lithuania), however they were all Jewish so I don't know if it really counts, and the last of them died when I was very young, anyways.

So most of the experience I've had with Eastern Europeans are all the Bosnian immigrants around here. The few I've met have been pretty nice, however in all the papers there are always new museum exhibits and art pieces about the genocide.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Interesting. What makes you say that?
    I mean economically - unemployment, low per capita gdp, suicide rates (moldova has the lowest human development index in europe, estonia has high sucide rates, lately exacerbated by a -14 % GDP "growth" in 2009).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp