User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kat View Post
    I don't really have an opinion about Eastern Europe. My mother was born in Hungary and we're visiting her country at least once a year. I actually only have an opinion about the Hungarian people I know. Some things that I think about them:

- They're always talking about food and when you're visiting them, they start feeding you lots and lots of food. Most of it is very fat and sugarry. Whenever I come home from Hungary, I have to start dieting. They just don't get it when I tell them I'm not hungry. Once I went to my mother's cousin and his family. They had put three kilos of pork on the barbeque just for my parents and me. WTF?! I'm just a little girl, all that meat doesn't fit in my stomach!
    - They all seem to think I'm adorable and they're always babytalking to me, even though I'm 18. They know me all my life, and every time I visit them, they're surprised that I speak a few words Hungarian. I always have, but they seem to forget. Hungarian children are more fun to hang out with than the adults and I think it's funny that they always think that I'm just a normal Hungarian with a speaking disability (Hungarians have a specific "r" that I can't pronounce and I have a strong Dutch accent).
    - They always buy me presents to compensate the fact that they're not really speaking to me, because I'm a foreigner. That annoys me. I don't want them to spend they're money on me. My parents earn ten times as much money as they and the prices in the Newtherlands are lower, and they don't buy me presents either.
    - When Dutch people are watching tv, they always point at people and say "He's gay, he's gay, she's gay, he's gay". When my Hungarian family and aquaintances are watching tv, they point at people and say "that's a Jew, that's a Jew, that's a Jew, that's a Jew".
    - They're kinda nice to you in your face, but they start criticizing you behind your back.
    - Overall, I think these Hungarian family members and acquaintances are adorable little Eric Cartman wannabes: slightly antisemitic, materialistic and hungry. but they can't help it.
    - The younger generations are more sympathetic and they seem more interested in other people and cultures than older generations. Younger people seem to be more open minded (that;s very different here, young Dutch people are conservative and rather close minded) and less focussed on food.
    - Hungary itself: everything is expensive (I've checked it on our last visit, most things are three times as expensive as here), the food is very sweet, the weather is a drama (boiling hot summers, freezing cold winters), the politics are unstable. Pretty extreme, actually.

I have been to Hungary and I must say that I have noticed the food thing.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I mean economically - unemployment, low per capita gdp, suicide rates (moldova has the lowest human development index in europe, estonia has high sucide rates, lately exacerbated by a -14 % GDP "growth" in 2009).
    Well, statistics show the bad as well as the good. You'd best list all the countries if you're going to point out the negative or positive statistics about them. It's not really nice if you put only a few of them in the spotlight, regardless of it being positive or negative.

Just to clarify things, regarding this whole thread, what is the definition of "Eastern Europe"? What are the countries you include in that definition? Based on what? There's not really a consensus on the definition. Being located in Europe and somewhat in the direction of the East won't do. There are many stereotypical and even outright negative connotations to the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Well, statistics show the bad as well as the good. You'd best list all the countries if you're going to point out the negative or positive statistics about them. It's not really nice if you put only a few of them in the spotlight, regardless of it being positive or negative.

Just to clarify things, regarding this whole thread, what is the definition of "Eastern Europe"? What are the countries you include in that definition? Based on what? There's not really a consensus on the definition. Being located in Europe and somewhat in the direction of the East won't do. There are many stereotypical and even outright negative connotations to the term.
    I am aware of that.

So I think that "The european countries that experianced communism" probably will be the best definition in a thread such as this one.

MBTI
    INTP

I mean economically - unemployment, low per capita gdp, suicide rates (moldova has the lowest human development index in europe, estonia has high sucide rates, lately exacerbated by a -14 % GDP "growth" in 2009).
    Estonia also had one of the highest overall levels of GDP per capita in Eastern Europe; they have taken a big hit (much like Iceland), but their overall standard of living is still to be envied by countries such as Ukraine, Bulgaria, Macedonia, etc. You're right about Moldova, though.

As for the OP; what Eastern Europeans are we talking about? I judge countries/cultures based on what I've read about them, and I judge any Eastern Europeans I meet based on their individual characteristics (I tend to get along very well with immigrants/exchange students, probably because we both feel estranged from the surrounding society).

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am aware of that.

So I think that "The european countries that experianced communism" probably will be the best definition in a thread such as this one.
    Yeah, ok.

This is an interesting thread idea, though. I've had this thought for quite a while now that in my opinion it would be absolutely horrible if people judged my country based on their impressions about me. I seriously hope with all my naiveté that people know better than that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Sorry? You're going off on me for what? Those two countries are obviously in a rather difficult position. There isn't anything nice or not nice about it. I'm not writing a research paper so I won't list all the countries in eastern europe and thoroughly analyze their financial and economic conditions.

Estonia also had one of the highest overall levels of GDP per capita in Eastern Europe; they have taken a big hit (much like Iceland), but their overall standard of living is still to be envied by countries such as Ukraine, Bulgaria, Macedonia, etc. You're right about Moldova, though.
    I reckon Bulgaria's situation is quite good in the big cities, the countryside is still quite backwards though (somewhat similar to Turkey, which has prosperous coasts and quite many villages in the central plateau lacking in electricity).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I like their women.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

Phantonym

Sorry? You're going off on me for what? Those two countries are obviously in a rather difficult position. There isn't anything nice or not nice about it. I'm not writing a research paper so I won't list all the countries in eastern europe and thoroughly analyze their financial and economic conditions.
    What made you choose Moldova and Estonia? There are plenty of other countries that are in a rather difficult position as well, worse than Estonia and Moldova. Stating "among the worst-off european countries" and then explicitly pointing out two of them puts negative focus only on those two and there's really no need to do that. That's what I call not nice.

As usual, you have the right to express your opinion, as do I.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    The reason why this is not in political section is because this way I will probably get a bigger feedback (what I want). Plus this thread does not have to be ultra serious thread.

Anyway on this forum Eastern Europeans are clearly a minority. So I am wondering what people around the world think about this part of the world ?

I ask since it looks to me that we are likely to be represented in global media as lunatics, people who don't care that much about human rights , people who support totalitarism etc. (but to be honest this does not mean I am saying this is totally incorrect) Also I have seen a number of times a comment "Ah, those crazy Russians" on the youtube.
    [YOUTUBE="TmjdZKfumEI"]Oh those Russians..[/YOUTUBE]
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

That's about right Edgar.