User Tag List

First 78910 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Was the earth melting in the 70's? I don't remember.
    actually, there was a big scare about "global cooling". im not kidding! it just goes to show you that the scientists arent immune to politics (a lot people stand to make a fortune off of this 'green' crap). Global warming is real, but anthropogenic global warming is still very much debated.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    When it comes to the internet, so many people see idiots talking about nothing, when I see that creative expression is becoming less and less hampered by the need to attract patronage. While of course our rights say we can express ourselves, not everyone has had the means to do so, while more and more people have the means.
    has it ever occurred to you that certain people never got patronage for a reason? Decisions by consensus lead to rather ho-hum average results. The internet encourages such consensus opinions/wisdom of the masses...which i dont really believe in...

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    The world economy is going through a major transition from its previous structure to something altogether newer, flatter, and _________...

And who knows what else might be on our horizon...
    Ive actually read a cool book called "who's your city?" and it talks about the earth actually getting spikier: wealth is accelerating and accumulating into more concentrated places (ie silicon valley etc). Essentially, where you live still matters a lot, no matter what people may think about the internet removing distance.

you should look at the values and corresponding strategies (stages), instead of looking at the shit, the values have to deal with.

the situation of the world seems to get more earnest.

we have to deal with it.

this means, some people regress while other people grow.

maybe 20% each. the rest fits in. is mediocre. stretches. (hard to find english words)
    its always like that.

but the growth is new

and the regression does not count (at all times a certain amount of population tried to escape backwards, and you can only go so low)

so there is always progress.

2000-10 were about postmodern pluralism becoming saturated and "dying" - dying as "something that claims absolutism".
    this dying is the "negativity" you see.

the 2010-20 will be about the birth of what comes after-wards.
    (both somewhat predictable regressions and much less predictable manifestations of what is born)

The Progressives and the Regressives

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    you should look at the values and corresponding strategies (stages), instead of looking at the shit, the values have to deal with.

the situation of the world seems to get more earnest.

we have to deal with it.

this means, some people regress while other people grow.

maybe 20% each. the rest fits in. is mediocre. stretches. (hard to find english words)
    its always like that.

but the growth is new

and the regression does not count (at all times a certain amount of population tried to escape backwards, and you can only go so low)

so there is always progress.

2000-10 were about postmodern pluralism becoming saturated and "dying" - dying as "something that claims absolutism".
    this dying is the "negativity" you see.

the 2010-20 will be about the birth of what comes after-wards.
    (both somewhat predictable regressions and much less predictable manifestations of what is born)
    Yes, this explains why progress is so slow - it is hampered by regression.

Look at the timeline - institutional slavery was abolished for the first time in 1833; women gained the vote for the first time in 1904; and child sexual abuse was first brought before the Criminal Courts in 1996.

And every one of these advances in human progress has been bitterly fought by the regressives.

We can see this so clearly here as the astronomers and the psychometricians are the progressives and the astrologers and the MBTI mavens are the regressives.

The fight is long and victory goes to the strong.

And a little rat cunning doesn't go astray - but don't tell Tater.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Hmmm, Im not so sure. I would have guessed that the population of people using internet in the 90s wouldn't compare to the population using it in 2004.
    That is true, the popularity of the internet did happen to culminate around that time however that isn't to say it is a 2000-2010 phenomenon. I thought of one that is apt, the rise of the mobile phone, that actually is more apt, and did I say social networking sites.

You have a point about color TVs, but it's just not the right point.

The analogous years to the internet would be like 2030-2040.

Facebook and youtube (the most trafficked, and most bandwidth intensive sites) weren't even invented until the 2000s.

Google didn't IPO until, what, 2004?

Twitter just started like a year or two ago.

Once again: the 90s were the birth, the 2000s were when it took hold.

It will continue to gain more of a foothold in our lives in the coming decades (like color TV in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, etc.), but the decade known for the greatest rate of adoption and transformation caused by the internet will be the 2000s.
    Actually while that may be true, that the business side of the internet and applicability skyrocketed in the 00's it was the 90's that saw the rise of the internet and the birth happened earlier. looking at the History of the Internet might help.

And did I say that 00's were the rise of the social network sites, yes, google, youtube, facebook, twitter and the like very much so. You are right in saying the most significant infrastructure happened as a stepping stone to give momentum to its popularity in 00's and the 90's were not the birth of the internet. Not really, it was simply released to the public after universities and the military. The rise of the internet started in the 90's and the dot.com bubble burst, the honeymoon was over and like any stocks, reality sunk in that there was not unlimited gold in them their hills. Then the better innovation took off from the fallout and took a foothold absolutely and what a giant foothold indeed that gave those companies ammunition to reach heights that continue to this day.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Actually while that may be true, that the business side of the internet and applicability skyrocketed in the 00's it was the 90's that saw the rise of the internet and the birth happened earlier. looking at the History of the Internet might help.

You are right in saying the most significant infrastructure happened as a stepping stone to give momentum to its popularity in 00's and the 90's were not the birth of the internet. Not really, it was simply released to the public after universities and the military.
    I'm familiar with the history of the internet.

Ever heard of conception and gestation?

They happen before birth.

The birth was when it was released to the public.

The popping of the dotcom bubble was the afterbirth.

It then grew and gained its foothold in the 2000s.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

And you would be correct, oaky.

Ajblaise and synapse were straight wrong on this one.

The 90s saw the birth of the internet. The 2000s saw it take hold.
    I think significant commercialization occurred in the 90s and 2000s saw widespread adoption. Public Internet services were available in the late 80s (at least) though it was more of a technical user base.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    I think significant commercialization occurred in the 90s and 2000s saw widespread adoption. Public Internet services were available in the late 80s (at least) though it was more of a technical user base.
    We're talking about cultural history here.

Things need to be taken in a wider context to reflect this.

The use by a very small, technical user base is not the same as use by the public at large.

That didn't occur until the 90s, and, hence, in the context of cultural history, the 90s saw the "birth" of the internet, at least with regards to the general public, and, as I've been saying, the 2000s saw it gain a complete and total foothold, globally.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I'm familiar with the history of the internet.

Ever heard of conception and gestation?

They happen before birth.

The birth was when it was released to the public.

The popping of the dotcom bubble was the afterbirth.

It then grew and gained its foothold in the 2000s.
    So what your hinting at is something like this

The 80-90's was the conception, gestation and birth.
    The late 90's was the teenage years and the dot.com was a quarter life crisis
    While early 2000 was the young adult phase while late 2000 was the mature phase like fine wine. Will there be a mid life crisis

I can see what your getting at.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    So what your hinting at is something like this

The 80-90's was the conception, gestation and birth.
    The late 90's was the teenage years and the dot.com was a quarter life crisis
    While early 2000 was the young adult phase while late 2000 was the mature phase like fine wine. Will there be a mid life crisis

I can see what your getting at.
    I know you're referring to the Internet here, but your words caught my eye in live new posts because it makes me think of how the 80's seem to have been this explosion into an electronic age. In my mind there's this clear distinction between the 60's and 70's and then all of the sudden the 80's seeming so much more, um, synthetic? post-modern? technologically advanced? I don't know what exactly I'm grasping for here...but that's part of what excites me about the 80's I think...I see it as the cultural beginning of what the world has evolved into in the early 21st century, for good or ill.