User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 96

  1. #61
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    From what I see on this thread, the '00s were the age of negativity.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  2. #62
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    It's just too damn close to properly judge in terms of 'negative' and 'positive'. Trends can be seen, but all paths end in an impenetrable fog.

    Let's come back to this in around 20 years.

  3. #63
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    This is another problem with the internet. there are a lot of otherwise smart entrepreneurs from MIT, Caltech, ivies etc...who rather than creating real value, are simply creating these stupid web-companies that just drive traffic --> advertise --> monetize. Its a horrible drain on our most talented individuals in the same way that ibanking is.

    Look at "digg" for example. $60 million for what essentially is a nice way for people to go to one place to find the best daily blogs to waste their time at. does it create any real value? only because ADD, narcissists, voyeurs from our generation give it traffic and advertising revenue.
    I'd say it's more the conflict of entrepreneurialism with the end of industrialism in the United States. We've been promoting this idea that you can make money out of nothing, and that non-material capital has just as much intrinsic worth as material capital.

    Meanwhile, all this really does is siphon off real value from those who produce it.

  4. #64
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    It's just too damn close to properly judge in terms of 'negative' and 'positive'. Trends can be seen, but all paths end in an impenetrable fog.

    Let's come back to this in around 20 years.
    You do not feel the negativity oozing out of that decade? The decade where everything will give you cancer, everyone wants to kill you, your mind is turning to mush because of the television, you're getting fat and that's going to kill you, too, all food is bad for you, you've lost your job, there's no hope for a job in the future because they're all going away, everyone's afraid to do anything because of liability, they're listening to what you say on your phones and watching your internet connection, people are getting dumber and dumber and want to shame you for it, and it doesn't matter anyway because you're going to die from global flooding soon anyway, and it's all hopeless hopeless hopeless because there's nothing you can do about any of it, and you're just so exhausted you spend so much time on an internet forum like this one.

    Possibly the only things that could possibly be considered good that came out of this decade were bad, according to Babylon Candle, so... there's nothing, and nothing for the future, either.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  5. #65
    Babylon Candle Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    You do not feel the negativity oozing out of that decade? The decade where everything will give you cancer, everyone wants to kill you, your mind is turning to mush because of the television, you're getting fat and that's going to kill you, too, all food is bad for you, you've lost your job, there's no hope for a job in the future because they're all going away, everyone's afraid to do anything because of liability, they're listening to what you say on your phones and watching your internet connection, people are getting dumber and dumber and want to shame you for it, and it doesn't matter anyway because you're going to die from global flooding soon anyway, and it's all hopeless hopeless hopeless because there's nothing you can do about any of it, and you're just so exhausted you spend so much time on an internet forum like this one.

    Possibly the only things that could possibly be considered good that came out of this decade were bad, according to Babylon Candle, so... there's nothing, and nothing for the future, either.
    despite all that, it doesnt hold a candle to the 70s:

    --carter telling people to power down, and get ready to relinquish the good life
    --antiwar sentiments and distrust of public figures left over from Vietnam probably worse
    --oil shortages and gas lines
    --inflation AND unemployment sky high
    --actual unemployment + GDP numbers were probably worse (just a guess), though the stock market wasnt as big of an issue

    the 70s were the pessimists

  6. #66
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    despite all that, it doesnt hold a candle to the 70s:

    --carter telling people to power down, and get ready to relinquish the good life
    --antiwar sentiments and distrust of public figures left over from Vietnam probably worse
    --oil shortages and gas lines
    --inflation AND unemployment sky high
    --actual unemployment + GDP numbers were probably worse (just a guess), though the stock market wasnt as big of an issue

    the 70s were the pessimists
    Was the earth melting in the 70's? I don't remember.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  7. #67
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    You do not feel the negativity oozing out of that decade?
    I do. And I recognize that my perception is flawed. And so is yours. It clouds my judgement, so I won't give in.

  8. #68
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    I do. And I recognize that my perception is flawed. And so is yours. It clouds my judgement, so I won't give in.
    Does anybody feel the 10's coming on yet?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  9. #69
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    From what I see on this thread, the '00s were the age of negativity.
    I think some of that is your own juju, as you've sounded like a negative nancy throughout this thread.

    The other side of it is likely because you're hearing from a lot of Americans.

    I guarantee you the Chinese, Indians, Brazilians, and many other emerging nations didn't look at it as a bad time.

    Also affecting your perception is what Litvyak and others have pointed to: that we live in a tremendously confusing world.

    But that's just a quality of living in mass society; it's nothing all-too-particular to the 2000s, really...

  10. #70
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Was the earth melting in the 70's? I don't remember.
    Yes. And turning into an ice ball. And the Commies were winning. And Disco.

Similar Threads

  1. [Other] What is your favorite quote...
    By jck221 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 07-09-2014, 05:43 PM
  2. I forgot what I was going to talk about...
    By Cloudblue in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 03:02 PM
  3. What was your SAT score?
    By Hypomanic in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 03:08 AM
  4. What do y'all think about "people search" tech?
    By Totenkindly in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 04:49 PM
  5. N: what are we actually speaking about ?
    By developer in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO