User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

From what I see on this thread, the '00s were the age of negativity.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

It's just too damn close to properly judge in terms of 'negative' and 'positive'. Trends can be seen, but all paths end in an impenetrable fog.

Let's come back to this in around 20 years.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    This is another problem with the internet. there are a lot of otherwise smart entrepreneurs from MIT, Caltech, ivies etc...who rather than creating real value, are simply creating these stupid web-companies that just drive traffic --> advertise --> monetize. Its a horrible drain on our most talented individuals in the same way that ibanking is.

Look at "digg" for example. $60 million for what essentially is a nice way for people to go to one place to find the best daily blogs to waste their time at. does it create any real value? only because ADD, narcissists, voyeurs from our generation give it traffic and advertising revenue.
    I'd say it's more the conflict of entrepreneurialism with the end of industrialism in the United States. We've been promoting this idea that you can make money out of nothing, and that non-material capital has just as much intrinsic worth as material capital.

Meanwhile, all this really does is siphon off real value from those who produce it.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    It's just too damn close to properly judge in terms of 'negative' and 'positive'. Trends can be seen, but all paths end in an impenetrable fog.

Let's come back to this in around 20 years.
    You do not feel the negativity oozing out of that decade? The decade where everything will give you cancer, everyone wants to kill you, your mind is turning to mush because of the television, you're getting fat and that's going to kill you, too, all food is bad for you, you've lost your job, there's no hope for a job in the future because they're all going away, everyone's afraid to do anything because of liability, they're listening to what you say on your phones and watching your internet connection, people are getting dumber and dumber and want to shame you for it, and it doesn't matter anyway because you're going to die from global flooding soon anyway, and it's all hopeless hopeless hopeless because there's nothing you can do about any of it, and you're just so exhausted you spend so much time on an internet forum like this one.

Possibly the only things that could possibly be considered good that came out of this decade were bad, according to Babylon Candle, so... there's nothing, and nothing for the future, either.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    You do not feel the negativity oozing out of that decade? The decade where everything will give you cancer, everyone wants to kill you, your mind is turning to mush because of the television, you're getting fat and that's going to kill you, too, all food is bad for you, you've lost your job, there's no hope for a job in the future because they're all going away, everyone's afraid to do anything because of liability, they're listening to what you say on your phones and watching your internet connection, people are getting dumber and dumber and want to shame you for it, and it doesn't matter anyway because you're going to die from global flooding soon anyway, and it's all hopeless hopeless hopeless because there's nothing you can do about any of it, and you're just so exhausted you spend so much time on an internet forum like this one.

Possibly the only things that could possibly be considered good that came out of this decade were bad, according to Babylon Candle, so... there's nothing, and nothing for the future, either.
    despite all that, it doesnt hold a candle to the 70s:

--carter telling people to power down, and get ready to relinquish the good life
    --antiwar sentiments and distrust of public figures left over from Vietnam probably worse
    --oil shortages and gas lines
    --inflation AND unemployment sky high
    --actual unemployment + GDP numbers were probably worse (just a guess), though the stock market wasnt as big of an issue

the 70s were the pessimists

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    despite all that, it doesnt hold a candle to the 70s:

--carter telling people to power down, and get ready to relinquish the good life
    --antiwar sentiments and distrust of public figures left over from Vietnam probably worse
    --oil shortages and gas lines
    --inflation AND unemployment sky high
    --actual unemployment + GDP numbers were probably worse (just a guess), though the stock market wasnt as big of an issue

the 70s were the pessimists
    Was the earth melting in the 70's? I don't remember.

You do not feel the negativity oozing out of that decade?
    I do. And I recognize that my perception is flawed. And so is yours. It clouds my judgement, so I won't give in.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    I do. And I recognize that my perception is flawed. And so is yours. It clouds my judgement, so I won't give in.
    Does anybody feel the 10's coming on yet?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

From what I see on this thread, the '00s were the age of negativity.
    I think some of that is your own juju, as you've sounded like a negative nancy throughout this thread.

The other side of it is likely because you're hearing from a lot of Americans.

I guarantee you the Chinese, Indians, Brazilians, and many other emerging nations didn't look at it as a bad time.

Also affecting your perception is what Litvyak and others have pointed to: that we live in a tremendously confusing world.

But that's just a quality of living in mass society; it's nothing all-too-particular to the 2000s, really...

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Was the earth melting in the 70's? I don't remember.
    Yes. And turning into an ice ball. And the Commies were winning. And Disco.