User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Celebrities (for the most part that are famous for being famous)
    We all want to be loved. And attention is a sign we are loved.

And celebrities have the most attention in the entire world, and so they are the most loved.

And we imitate them on social networking sites where we can collect as many as 5,000 friends to prove we are loved too.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    who is your generation, and how are you so sure that I dont share the same generation as you?
    My generation is the one who barely remembers the nineties.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    My generation is the one who barely remembers the nineties.
    so we are the same one then...how is anything I said about the 2000s inaccurate?

MBTI
    ENFJ

so we are the same one then...how is anything I said about the 2000s inaccurate?
    "the 2000s were about re-embracing illusion-of-perfection (music with corporate engineered superstars, auto-tune, cheesy/easy to digest, "cell phone ring" music), and the emergence of the unholy trinity: narcissism, voyeurism and ADD (Web 2.0 such as blogs, twitter, myspace, facebook, youtube and reality TV). The 2000s will be known as the generation that began basically shouting at each other over the internet to get attention, drive up traffic, and steal most of societies smart individuals into creating zero value business run on advertising."

I completely disagree.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

"the 2000s were about re-embracing illusion-of-perfection (music with corporate engineered superstars, auto-tune, cheesy/easy to digest, "cell phone ring" music), and the emergence of the unholy trinity: narcissism, voyeurism and ADD (Web 2.0 such as blogs, twitter, myspace, facebook, youtube and reality TV). The 2000s will be known as the generation that began basically shouting at each other over the internet to get attention, drive up traffic, and steal most of societies smart individuals into creating zero value business run on advertising."

I completely disagree.
    I'd say it's true, but we've just stopped bullshitting about it as much. It's been that way since the rise of mass culture.

The generations raised by the Baby Boomers have unhealthily reflected that generation's narcissism in a major way.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I'd say it's true, but we've just stopped bullshitting about it as much. It's been that way since the rise of mass culture.

The generations raised by the Baby Boomers have unhealthily reflected that generation's narcissism in a major way.
    How does one not see the inherent narcissism, voyeurism, and ADD in twitter, youtube, facebook, reality tv, myspace, blogging????

EDIT: most of the content is complete crap, built to waste time and drive up traffic, which is then monetized with advertising. Thus no one really cares about content, they just scratch the other people's crap to promote their own crap...

EDIT2: this illustrates my point beautifully:

For starters, it's populated by spammers and 99.9 percent of my DMs are junk. Secondly, more and more people are using Twitter to broadcast only what they want to say, not engage in conversation.And even when there is a conversation going on, it's between two people and the rest of us have no idea what they're talking about. If even a quarter of devoted tweeters feel what I feel, I think Twitter's usefulness will be short-lived...

MBTI
    ENFJ

How does one not see the inherent narcissism, voyeurism, and ADD in twitter, youtube, facebook, reality tv, myspace, blogging????
    You may see these things, but online I see the beautiful experiment of free content, more and more people making things worth reading or watching that's avaliable to everyone simply because it's not expensive and they begin to have more free time on their hands.

See:

Wikipedia
    TVtropes
    John Dies At The End
    Lonelygirl15
    Autotune The News

etc.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

You may see these things, but online I see the beautiful experiment of free content, more and more people making things worth reading or watching that's avaliable to everyone simply because it's not expensive and they begin to have more free time on their hands.

See:

Wikipedia
    TVtropes
    John Dies At The End
    Lonelygirl15
    Autotune The News

etc.
    oh god...you are citing lonelygirl? again, why did people like it? because they felt like a voyeur when watching it!!! People waste their time on youtube watching videos of shit like her and then blame ADD. Finally, it feeds a bunch of nobodies to then load up their own Youtube narcissisticly thinking they too all deserve to be famous.

EDIT: and free time I do not see on the rise. maybe in other countries, but in the internet capital of the US, people have just taken on more work with their productivity gains. Not many people are working less, they just take on more work in the same time.

MBTI
    ENFJ

oh god...you are citing lonelygirl? again, why did people like it? because they felt like a voyeur when watching it!!! People waste their time on youtube watching videos of shit like her and then blame ADD. Finally, it feeds a bunch of nobodies to then load up their own Youtube narcissisticly thinking they too all deserve to be famous.
    We obviously have very different opinions.

You see a bunch of shit on the internet. Let me tell you, there's a bunch of shit everywhere, but not all of it can get funding. The point is on the internet you barely need funding, just enough for a connection and a bit of equipment. But, you see, it all filters out in the end. Oak trees spew out a whole bunch of acorns, but not all acorns get to be oak trees.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

not all of it can get funding. The point is on the internet you barely need funding, just enough for a connection.
    This is another problem with the internet. there are a lot of otherwise smart entrepreneurs from MIT, Caltech, ivies etc...who rather than creating real value, are simply creating these stupid web-companies that just drive traffic --> advertise --> monetize. Its a horrible drain on our most talented individuals in the same way that ibanking is.

Look at "digg" for example. $60 million for what essentially is a nice way for people to go to one place to find the best daily blogs to waste their time at. does it create any real value? only because ADD, narcissists, voyeurs from our generation give it traffic and advertising revenue.