User Tag List

First 8910

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I know you're referring to the Internet here, but your words caught my eye in live new posts because it makes me think of how the 80's seem to have been this explosion into an electronic age. In my mind there's this clear distinction between the 60's and 70's and then all of the sudden the 80's seeming so much more, um, synthetic? post-modern? technologically advanced? I don't know what exactly I'm grasping for here...but that's part of what excites me about the 80's I think...I see it as the cultural beginning of what the world has evolved into in the early 21st century, for good or ill.
    I think you're describing Ronald Reagan.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    So what your hinting at is something like this

The 80-90's was the conception, gestation and birth.
    The late 90's was the teenage years and the dot.com was a quarter life crisis
    While early 2000 was the young adult phase while late 2000 was the mature phase like fine wine. Will there be a mid life crisis

I can see what your getting at.
    You're getting there.

You're just looking at this in way to short of time span.

In a hundred years, if we have managed to stay alive and not destroy ourselves, the internet will be so ubiquitous and all-encompassing that it will be thought of as something that can literally not be separated from human civilization and existence; it will have so transformed every single facet of our lives, that people will find it difficult to even imagine a world without it.

It's amazing how quickly we've already come to some semblance of this state, but, I guarantee you, in 100 years, it will be 100x more true than it is today.

The entire world will have been reshaped by the internet.

That is why I said the 90s were the birth of the internet, the dotcom bubble was essentially the expulsion of the afterbirth, and, in the 2000s, the internet was still in its infancy.

I'd say, at this time, it's probably somewhere in its mid childhood, perhaps moving, over the next decade or so, as we establish hundreds of new laws and judicial opinions over its many different possibilities and facets, into late childhood, and then adolescence.

Adolescence, realistically though, will probably not be in full swing until around 2020, after the many rules established during early, mid and late childhood start to feel too constraining, and rebellion against and testing of the boundaries of those rules begins to be taken underway.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Ever heard this song?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6unDcYBQSpQ"]We're All Living In America - Rammstein (2004)[/YOUTUBE]
    Haha I've posted that song earlier here. The cusp of globalization is in the seeds of the electronic media, and the tree is America. However, our roots are embedded in the other countries, mostly European. Information does not spread in a linear fashion, so it would be silly to chalk it all up to "Americanization". That's tunnel vision. Read some of Che Guevara's writing about how to undermine political authority through guerrilla warfare. Most of what he talks about is propaganda and psychological in nature, not brutality. Globalization is occurring by these means; and the countries who lock the shed on information, the countries who censor everything like Korea and Libya are the ones who are most militant in stopping the spread. Silly isolationists... don't you know anything about how successful economies nourish the needs of your people?

MBTI
    IsTP

Working at Chuck-A-Ramma with your degree in the liberal arts.

And narcissism. Fiscial irrisponsiblity.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Sniffles

The rebirth of geopolitics after the whole "End of History" bullshit Francis Fukuyama fed us and other related illusions. However its sudden rebirth caused didn't exactly cause these illusions to die, but rather shocked them into making sense of the situation that fitted their worldview - which presented a rather warped view of what was happening.

Certainly the rise of challenges to American hegemony on the global scale, but this turn has lead many into certain illusions of their own that'll probably crash and burn in the next decade or so. Examples would be EU as well as Third world powers like China and India.

International relations in the coming decades will be interesting.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The rebirth of geopolitics after the whole "End of History" bullshit Francis Fukuyama fed us and other related illusions. However its sudden rebirth caused didn't exactly cause these illusions to die, but rather shocked them into making sense of the situation that fitted their worldview - which presented a rather warped view of what was happening.

Certainly the rise of challenges to American hegemony on the global scale, but this turn has lead many into certain illusions of their own that'll probably crash and burn in the next decade or so. Examples would be EU as well as Third world powers like China and India.

International relations in the coming decades will be interesting.
    Word.