User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is more appealing to you?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technology

14 20.59%
  • Nature

54 79.41%
12311 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Technology or Nature: Which is more beautiful/appealing?

I've noticed that most people think that Nature is more beautiful, but I don't really understand why. I'll try to explain why I think things made by people actually make me feel more of a sense of harmony, resonance, and tranquility.

Things that have been created have a certain human touch to them. You can tell that another, fellow human being considered how it was to be made, and was involved in it's construction. You know there was a purpose in mind for it, that it was created by people for people. Such things tend to have a clear design, a more understandable and symmetrical form. You can get an idea of what the person who created it might have been like, what might have been important to them.

I'm not saying that there's nothing at all beautiful in nature, but the overall feel of it is chaos. Things simply exist in it for their own sake, and don't have anything to do with people. It reminds you that there's a whole, impersonal world out there that's changing on whim, completely indifferent/hostile to what people want/need. The things you observe in it don't usually have as clear and consistent a pattern, they aren't controlled, and feel kind of alien.

So... does anyone agree?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian
    I'm not saying that there's nothing at all beautiful in nature, but the overall feel of it is chaos. Things simply exist in it for their own sake, and don't have anything to do with people. It reminds you that there's a whole, impersonal world out there that's changing on whim, completely indifferent/hostile to what people want/need. The things you observe in it don't usually have as clear and consistent a pattern, they aren't controlled, and feel kind of alien.
    I find nature extremely beautiful. The consistent simplicity of the laws that describe phenomena, the range of scales, the wonderful macroscopic predictability of chaos, the timelessness of how things are.

The human world is a fun and complex system to study, but it is too small in scope to hold my attention like nature does. Technology is our way of building toys by strategically exploiting our limited understanding of natural law. It's useful, but in my opinion, considerably less profound.

I prefer technology. Nature is uncaring and inhospitable. Without little or no technology, such as a stone age civilization, the best people can do is subsist through short, brutal, ignorant lives. Only inside our technological artifice can humans truly flourish and enjoy ourselves. Sure, nature might be pretty but it'll eat you.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Nature is full of crazy math. There's so much science in it. (anyone know info re: the ratios found in humans, seashells, etc.?)

Technology is amazing. But nature is more mind-blowing.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP

It's fair to say that I feel much more at one with myself when I consider myself to be a small part of nature than I do as a small part of humanity.

Nature does not judge. It just is.

That is peace.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lbloom View Post
    The human world is a fun and complex system to study, but it is too small in scope to hold my attention like nature does. Technology is our way of building toys by strategically exploiting our limited understanding of natural law. It's useful, but in my opinion, considerably less profound.
    I agree.

I think nature is more beautiful/amazing because humans cannot reconstruct it, and it is so all-encompassing and complex that even after our entire existance up to now, we are only able to understand a fraction of it. When I am in contact with nature, I feel like I am dancing with Gods.

Nature is more like myself than an object that a human has made, just because a human has made it. It is full of life, and breathes and dies just like I do. It may eat me up and cause me pain, but that's only because it needs to. Just like I need to do certain things to survive. Since when are the needs of mine and my species alone more important than the needs of something else, just because I may not understand it? These ideas may be just based on instinct and/or the shared values of my culture, but I think that they are for a reason. We all need to let things take their natural course in order to stay harmonious, because we are sharing this world of ours. If we do not cooperate with and try to love nature as the part of it that we are, and just continue fawning over our technologies and novelties while remaining so untrusting of where we have come from, then our species will eventually die out. We will be gone. And our technologies will have nobody left to enjoy them.

It is true that nature is something I can only appreciate because of the technology in my life. But we as humans are the product of nature. Without nature, there would be no us, and without us there would be no technology, and so nature is responsible for the wonders of technology as well.

edit- Just gonna add this in..
    Quote Originally Posted by lbloom View Post
    It's fair to say that I feel much more at one with myself when I consider myself to be a small part of nature than I do as a small part of humanity.

Nature does not judge. It just is.

That is peace.
    :3 *nods*
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Definitley nature- it's alive and always changing, which makes me feel more at home with it. Nature also has the benefit of being signifigantly less predictable than anything a human can create, which, though occassionally disasterous, makes it SO much more interesting to behold!

I could never feel quite as at home in a city, with all of it's sharp angles and hard surfaces, as I do out in the woods or on the river- and nothing that I could look at or buy could quite have the same effect on me as seeing the human body (I love how humans look- they absolutely fascinate me!).
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Nature.
    I can't find a good explanation at the moment.
    Nature makes me feel better than most things can.
    Cities, and most of humanity in general, gives me the creeps.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I cannot pick... to me the most appealing would be a mixture of technology with nature, ideally the seamless integration of the two.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Technology. I'm always amazed at what human intelligence has enabled us to achieve.

I'm much more impressed by an efficient engine, a powerful computer or a tall building than by, say, a sunset.

An ENFP buddy of mine made a funny comment about this lately. I was showing him a demo of my new graphics card. It featured beautiful landscapes, high density trees and a magnificient sunset. He went "wooooah!!! That's so awesome!", to which I replied "technology is amazing, heh?". He then paused for a couple of seconds and burst out laughing. I asked him "What?! lol" and he answered "We're here being amazed with this 3D sunset on a computer screen when we could see this everyday if we wanted but don't give a shit!". I'd say that's pretty spot on.