User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is more appealing to you?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technology

14 20.59%
  • Nature

54 79.41%
First 7891011 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Anyway, I'm glad some people are finally seeing that technology is more beautiful, so I know I'm not crazy. So, what I can't understand is why wild growing plants are more beautiful to some than planned gardens? I guess some people like surprises or something?
    :rolli: I don't think it has anything to do with surprises. I like the concept of natural. Untainted. Untouched by people, and free to just exist and grow unencumbered, and exist of its own accord. If you really know an environment you're in, you're not going to be surprised by much. If you're in a coniferous forest, you know the trees you'll see, you know the plants that will be there, you know the invasive plants that might be there, you know the animals and birds and flowers that will be there, and the liklihood of seeing all. You also know it's probable that something MIGHT show up that you hadn't expected, and that will surprise you. But that's not likely. A deciduous forest will have a whole different spectrum of plants/animals/birds. If you're in a desert, you'll see a completely different set of things, all 'expected', little that will catch you off guard and 'surprise' you if you're already aware of the environment, have researched/studied it, and know what you'll likely see and find. But dig a little deeper, and that's where the beauty is - the changing seasons, the cycle of birth/growth to decay, various colors and visual patterns and textures, shapes, watching nature in 'action' - from animal behavior to flowers opening....so although a lot of what I see is 'expected' in the broadest sense, there's still the guarantee of seeing something brand new and unique to just one instant in time, when you dig deeper and pay attention to the nuances.

If you were more aware of what was out in nature, and studied it, you would begin to see a lot of patterns. But since you don't really know anything about it, I think you react to it more out of fear, and it makes you uncomfortable. I'm not saying you have to like it...in fact quite a lot of people DON'T like being out in nature. And a lot of people don't have any desire to learn about it or study it, which is fine; but that would be why they think it's scary or unpredictable or chaotic. Not that there isn't an element of unpredictability (but that's part of Life - wherever you are), but I see the unpredictability as inherent in nature -- thus it becomes predictable to me. ;-)

I think planned gardens are 'pretty'; in fact I've been to some parks/arboretums, and they're pleasant. There's an arboretum near where I live, and I actually love going to it several times a year and walking around, and seeing different flowers from week to week -- a lot of knowledge and careful planning was needed to create the gardens. I don't NOT like them. I can see why you like them. But..they can be created anywhere, at any time. You can't just create a forest or marsh or [living] desert at the snap of your fingers. And that would be why I like 'wild growing plants' more than planned gardens. For the complexity that cannot be recreated by people - a complexity that if you know your environment, will not 'surprise' you, but that all ties together.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    So, what I can't understand is why wild growing plants are more beautiful to some than planned gardens? I guess some people like surprises or something?
    Kinda. I guess wild growing stuff reflects more what I'm like inside. It's all chaos in there. Dense rainforests and complex, knotted swamps are like the depths of my mind coming to life. And plus, I like exploring! And all the clutter and different levels of vegetation in forests and similar places make me feel secure. You get the fresh air, but also this musky warmth from the redwood-y tree smells and te decomposing plants...I could just sit down in a forest and go to sleep. I expect the unexpected, and so I feel perfectly safe and at peace in nature.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    ESFJ

A balance of the two is perfect.
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by girlnamedbless View Post
    A balance of the two is perfect.
    Can you give me an example of such a balance? None come to mind because I usually think of there being nature or technology, not both in the same setting. Is there such a thing?

MBTI
    INTP

Prosthetic fetish?

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

It is true that nature is something I can only appreciate because of the technology in my life. But we as humans are the product of nature. Without nature, there would be no us, and without us there would be no technology, and so nature is responsible for the wonders of technology as well.
    I agree. The world is more wonderful because of its indifference to human affairs. We better give credit to the four forces of nature and their interactions with matter for everything that we do...every now and then. Call me reductionist, but this is how the universe evolves.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Punggung View Post
    What's the difference?

I can't answer this poll.

Technology and Nature can only be seen through the lens of human understanding, an understanding shaped by the scepticist judeo-christian scientific method cultivated in out cultural selfconsciousness for thousands of years. Is it possible to se and feel nature without seeing it from a technological perspective, thereby essentially seeing crude unfinished technology?At the same time, is it possible not to se the influence of nature in any kind of technology? I say the difference is nigh and it is a beautiful world full of cruelty and suffering.
    Will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me?
    Technology is subordinate to nature. Human values are ephemeral, whilst the laws of physics are, as far as we know, universal.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

It's not directly related, but I was thinking about this last night.. watching some documentary about the universe and humanity's beginnings in understanding the world around them. The slow birth of heliocentric views, observational science (and then strictly, science) and away from myths and earth centered thinking. Which is great - but there are a lot of charming things about the primitive worldview. You can see a lot just by glancing at ancient star charts..

I don't want to embrace a lot of the faults of the old world, but I feel like we're missing something in all of this progress. At one time, people looked up in the sky and gave names to planets and constellations like "Venus" and "Canis Major", and now we discover new planets, and give them names like PSR 1257+12. Wtf. There's no humanity in that. And they might argue, what does it matter.. PRS 1257 isn't populated with humans. Which is a fair point, but it doesn't mean we ourselves must be less human.. that we must move away from earth or it's symbols.. or whatever. I'm not sure what the hell my point is. It's just that PRS 1257 is symptomatic of a larger problem when it comes to technological progress. That's my initial thought at least. I'll have to think about it more.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm allergic to everything in nature.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

There's a simple reason why nature is often considered more beautiful than man-made artifacts; citing Gaudi, the famous spanish architect: "Straight lines don't exist in natural settings". Oftentimes, humans forget about curves, because it's easier (conceptually: it might actually be technically harder) to create something out of straight lines, since it requires a lower amount of computational power.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp