User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is more appealing to you?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technology

14 20.59%
  • Nature

54 79.41%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I'll bet, if she really wanted, Niffer could a) look like a full grown male despite the fact she is a young junior high female and b) pwn anyone in bench pressing power. Niffer can pretty much do anything.
    You want some of this?

MBTI
    lego

Understanding technology to include art, I find technology to be far more appealing . . . but technology in a more specific definition pertaining to "technical" mechanistic kinds of things I would have more trouble asserting to be interested in beyond nature.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

If it weren't for technology, art could not exist, really. (Someone had to invent the paintbrush.)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I've noticed that most people think that Nature is more beautiful, but I don't really understand why. I'll try to explain why I think things made by people actually make me feel more of a sense of harmony, resonance, and tranquility.

Things that have been created have a certain human touch to them. You can tell that another, fellow human being considered how it was to be made, and was involved in it's construction. You know there was a purpose in mind for it, that it was created by people for people. Such things tend to have a clear design, a more understandable and symmetrical form. You can get an idea of what the person who created it might have been like, what might have been important to them.

I'm not saying that there's nothing at all beautiful in nature, but the overall feel of it is chaos. Things simply exist in it for their own sake, and don't have anything to do with people. It reminds you that there's a whole, impersonal world out there that's changing on whim, completely indifferent/hostile to what people want/need. The things you observe in it don't usually have as clear and consistent a pattern, they aren't controlled, and feel kind of alien.

So... does anyone agree?
    I disagree with your claim under the following tenet:

Your post seems to hint that technology implies humanism, no? Humanism posits that all human beings are born equal, everyone has the right to live and favours the human spirit above all else. I feel it is very dangerous to have a very human-centric mentality. It seems if one only thinks of humans, then one can only see the world existing for human consumption. If one tries to inhibit ones consumption, then one is violating their rights. Rights inherently have wrongs. Therefore, we have morality. Morality is a [human] illusion. Reconnecting with nature will offer disillusionment: no one is born equal, no one has the right to live and the human spirit is a part of nature rather than apart from it/higher than it.

I do enjoy the benefits of technology but when technology becomes a means to an end, I'm quite terrified about the outcome of our species. Progress does not always mean progress. To paraphrase one of Shelley's main ideas from Frankenstein, "Progress/technology = solving old problems with new problems."

To me, the beauty of Nature lies in its subtlety.
    E.g. Here

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

technology is much more interesting to me. the rate of change is so much more exciting!

(my naturalist and visual intelligences are super-low, though, so take that into account -- check my sig.)

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    I disagree with your claim under the following tenet:

Your post seems to hint that technology implies humanism, no? Humanism posits that all human beings are born equal, everyone has the right to live and favours the human spirit above all else. I feel it is very dangerous to have a very human-centric mentality. It seems if one only thinks of humans, then one can only see the world existing for human consumption. If one tries to inhibit ones consumption, then one is violating their rights. Rights inherently have wrongs. Therefore, we have morality. Morality is a [human] illusion. Reconnecting with nature will offer disillusionment: no one is born equal, no one has the right to live and the human spirit is a part of nature rather than apart from it/higher than it.

I do enjoy the benefits of technology but when technology becomes a means to an end, I'm quite terrified about the outcome of our species. Progress does not always mean progress. To paraphrase one of Shelley's main ideas from Frankenstein, "Progress/technology = solving old problems with new problems."

To me, the beauty of Nature lies in its subtlety.
    E.g. Here
    I think you're reading way too much into that.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I'll bet, if she really wanted, Niffer could a) look like a full grown male despite the fact she is a young junior high female and b) pwn anyone in bench pressing power. Niffer can pretty much do anything.
    You know it.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

01010111011010000110000101110100001000000110010101 101100011100110110010100111111

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    01010111011010000110000101110100001000000110010101 101100011100110110010100111111
    Put in that way, nature is more immediate and understandable than technology.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Says you.