User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is more appealing to you?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technology

14 20.59%
  • Nature

54 79.41%
First 45678 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Technically, I consider art, architecture, and hand-made things to be part of technology. Nature would only be things humans haven't made.
    Ah..that's an interesting definition of technology.

But I wouldn't be willing to give up technology voluntarily.
    Given your definition of technology, I wouldn't be willing to give up all of it voluntarily either. Your definition includes all tools used by us, and also shelters that we create for our survival -- no matter how primitive (and what about other animals/organisms who 'hand-make' things? Is that technology for them? :-)). I do find it odd though that you lump art in with technology. But I get what you're saying - anything made by humans = technology.

I don't think we're losing anything that can't be replaced... have you ever seen the order in planned gardens? It's much nicer to me than just wild growth.
    ACK!! Blasphemy!! As for not losing anything that can't be replaced...?? A planned garden is devoid of most life, and it's like a sanitized, lifeless version of the real thing (and also requires a lot of chemicals and labor to keep it in its sanitized state). ;-) So you can create an illusion of nature, but you can't create the real thing. Wildness/complexity = nature. Once it's wiped off the earth, well, it's wiped off. Now the earth then might evolve into a complex realm of roaches and rats, but I digress....

But yeah, clearly we have different concepts of beauty.

But you've got to remember... what idea of beauty do you expect from a Lawful Neutral?
    Ah...I don't know what Lawful Neutral is, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm probably not one myself.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Interesting thread.

Given that I'm a (future) biologist, I'm sure you can guess my preference. The level of complexity present in nature is eons beyond that of current technology, which makes it much more interesting.

What's also interesting is where nature and technology are one, ie genetic engineering and similar things.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I've noticed that most people think that Nature is more beautiful, but I don't really understand why. I'll try to explain why I think things made by people actually make me feel more of a sense of harmony, resonance, and tranquility.

Things that have been created have a certain human touch to them. You can tell that another, fellow human being considered how it was to be made, and was involved in it's construction. You know there was a purpose in mind for it, that it was created by people for people. Such things tend to have a clear design, a more understandable and symmetrical form. You can get an idea of what the person who created it might have been like, what might have been important to them.

I'm not saying that there's nothing at all beautiful in nature, but the overall feel of it is chaos. Things simply exist in it for their own sake, and don't have anything to do with people. It reminds you that there's a whole, impersonal world out there that's changing on whim, completely indifferent/hostile to what people want/need. The things you observe in it don't usually have as clear and consistent a pattern, they aren't controlled, and feel kind of alien.

So... does anyone agree?
    Technology for what end?

It is not the technology. It never was.
    The means does not sanctify the end.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Oh I love Roman architecture. After visiting Rome I felt like turning Catholic. The great stuff we can make as humans...I do get that warm feeling when I think about it. Humans have no peace though within our species..currently there is still much chaos. Nature does not remind me of this, and this is another reason why I still am in favor of nature.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

So what's the right answer?

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    So what's the right answer?
    Niffer is more beautiful/appealing than Edahn.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    I will leave that one alone.

But as for the OP. I think nature is more beautiful. Humans have their own needs for which we use technology. But I consider these things more utilitarian than beautiful.

Some architecture is beautiful, but IMO that looking up at the top of some Redwoods (or trying to) is more awe-inspiring than look up at a cathedral.

Somehow, it's instinctual. Nature is more beautiful.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    *slaps you with a white glove*

I challenge you to a beauty/appealing match!*

*We should probably operationalize our terms:

1. Beauty = How much you look like David Schwimmer and/or John Travolta
    2. Appealing = How many professional degrees you've acquired, or what your earning power is, or how much you can bench press

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Nature is admirable because it has pattern.
    Technology is admirable because it has rhythm.

Personally I prefer rhythm over pattern but that's just me.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    *slaps you with a white glove*

I challenge you to a beauty/appealing match!*

*We should probably operationalize our terms:

1. Beauty = How much you look like David Schwimmer and/or John Travolta
    2. Appealing = How many professional degrees you've acquired, or what your earning power is, or how much you can bench press
    I'll bet, if she really wanted, Niffer could a) look like a full grown male despite the fact she is a young junior high female and b) pwn anyone in bench pressing power. Niffer can pretty much do anything.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis