User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is more appealing to you?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technology

14 20.59%
  • Nature

54 79.41%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Nature is more appealing to my senses too. It's got all sort of tastes and smells, colours and shapes and patterns, lightning-fast movement and stillness intertwined...and they're all straight from the source.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    No matter, in all honesty, I think a lot of people here just say they prefer nature to sound more cultured. (Yes, for some reason, enjoying the beauty of nature is considered cultured, especially with the FFM.)
    No, that's not the case.
    I repeat my question: "How can technology be beautiful?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    No, that's not the case.
    Art counts as technology, doesn't it? You don't think that's beautiful? When I say technology, I mean things that people have made as opposed to things that just exist.

But seriously... many things have a very carefully crafted look to them, and are very ornate. The underlying order and structure itself, particularly in ancient cities such as Rome or Greece, is quite beautiful. There's even something breathtaking about skyscrapers in cities like New York or Chicago.

I guess I can see that some people think nature is more beautiful even if I don't see as much beauty, but I can't really understand saying that technology isn't beautiful at all.

MBTI
    ENTP

In a sense, technology is nature. A slipshod, childish version of it.

btw, who would you rather be? (which activity promotes the idea of beauty?)

I don't wanna!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

No, that's not the case.
    I'm going to repeat myself:

And it's not the technology itself that is beautiful, it's what it does. The beauty in technology is that it makes me happy when it's working properly.

And the fact that it doesn't work properly is because of the flaws of nature; in this case, man.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Art counts as technology, doesn't it? You don't think that's beautiful? When I say technology, I mean things that people have made as opposed to things that just exist.

But seriously... many things have a very carefully crafted look to them, and are very ornate. The underlying order and structure itself, particularly in ancient cities such as Rome or Greece, is quite beautiful. There's even something breathtaking about skyscrapers in cities like New York or Chicago.

I guess I can see that some people think nature is more beautiful even if I don't see as much beauty, but I can't really understand saying that technology isn't beautiful at all.
    I still don't see technology as beautiful even if I never did say that it isn't beautiful at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm going to repeat myself:

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I still don't see technology as beautiful even if I never did say that it isn't beautiful at all.

Oh, and while we're talking about the beauty of technology, I think it is advisable to read and follow the links within these two posts by me:

Post 1.

Post 2.

MBTI
    WOLF

Nature is beautiful, at a distance. I have never been able to be quite as fascinated by nature as I have by technological progress. I might spend an afternoon out marvelling at rays of light dancing over my face and breathing crisp autumn air, but my face lights up when I see beautiful man-made constructions or read about new innovations.

I'm sure there'll be a time later in life where I'll appreciate nature more, but right now I'm a city girl and the only way you'll get me to spend a prolonged time Outdoors in Nature is by bribing me with alcohol and possibly food.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I'm not saying that there's nothing at all beautiful in nature, but the overall feel of it is chaos. Things simply exist in it for their don't have anything to do with people. It reminds you that there's a whole, impersonal world out there that's changing on whim, completely indifferent/hostile to what people want/need. The things you observe in it don't usually have as clear and consistent a pattern, they aren't controlled, and feel kind of alien.

So... does anyone agree?
    Well..no. ;-P

I don't see any chaos in nature; on the macro scale, it actually makes complete sense to me and everything follows general patterns and everything has its niche and all of it coexists. You have the seasons, population dynamics, every individual struggling to survive, the food chain, weather/plate tectonic stuff coming into it....I don't know, all of it ties together for me. I find **Intense** beauty in the world around me, and all of it is real and makes sense to me. And animal behavior - aside from people and a few other species - is highly predictable. People often don't make sense to me, and I see a lot of chaos in human behavior. And technology has made it so we're pretty much the only organism who doesn't follow nature anymore, and doesn't 'need' to coexist peaceably with the rest of nature anymore, as opposed to centuries ago (although I would argue this won't last much longer). Technology...is just technology. It's not alive (hehe..other debates aside), and therefore it's completely controlled and you know what to expect out of it. But I find that boring. Life, and beauty, isn't about control/order, for me.

I guess I don't mind things existing for 'their own sake', because that's what life is for most. Even most people, when you boil it down, just want to be happy and live their life in peace. And the majority of the human population are always in survival mode, and can't really get to the point where they can look beyond pure survival - us on the internet are the very few privileged ones who actually have the time/safety/means to think about stuff like this. And to be happy in a sense is existing for your own sake.

I'm not as people-focused though. I don't care that other things don't have anything to do with people, and as for nature being 'indifferent'/'hostile' to what people need, I think people are the ultimate selfish ones, because we are incredibly hostile to what hundreds of thousands or millions of other lifeforms need. After all, we didn't come first... (and no, I don't want this to tangent into a religious thread, because I know some would argue otherwise)and I don't know why we're particularly 'entitled' to things.

Technology awes me only in the sense that I am amazed at what we have developed/created, and much of it just boggles my mind. But I find much more beauty in hand-made things, and your non-tech creations - art, architecture (buildings, bridges, etc), stuff like that.

Technology in and of itself...yes, it makes life easier. But at what price? Personally I think the more techy humanity gets, the more impersonal it gets; like our humanity is leaving us, and our sense of community. Just more distance, and less appreciation for people stuff and LIFE. Less food for the soul; people become more segmented and isolated. I feel like I'm the guy in Contact (one of my favorite movies by the way :-), minus any religious viewpoint.. ;-) ....
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Technology awes me only in the sense that I am amazed at what we have developed/created, and much of it just boggles my mind. But I find much more beauty in hand-made things, and your non-tech creations - art, architecture (buildings, bridges, etc), stuff like that.
    Technically, I consider art, architecture, and hand-made things to be part of technology. Nature would only be things humans haven't made.

But I wouldn't be willing to give up technology voluntarily. I don't think we're losing anything that can't be replaced... have you ever seen the order in planned gardens? It's much nicer to me than just wild growth.

But you've got to remember... what idea of beauty do you expect from a Lawful Neutral?