User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is more appealing to you?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technology

14 20.59%
  • Nature

54 79.41%
First 9101112 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

definitely nature

though i do like technology quite a bit

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Nature has the greatest tech.

MBTI
    ENTP

Why the "or" in the title? I've seen a nice cartoon somewhere, but I can't find it back so I'll describe.
    There was once a big bang. You get space, time, matter, atoms, evolving living beings. At the end you get ants building an ant-hill and humans building a city. The ant-hill is called "natural" and the human city "artificial".
    The caption: "This distinction seems a bit... artificial."
    It is. If a bird's nest is natural, so is a human's house. If the beaver's dam is natural, so is the human's dam.

Another strange thing about beauty: things become beautiful once they are useless. Old windmills are seen as beautiful, the new three-winged power-generating ones as ugly. I bet the middle-agers thought a stone windmill to be ugly. Why can't a thing be beautiful and useful at the same time? This also applies to nature and technology.
    If you think "nature", you probably think of holidays and beautiful landscapes. If you think "technology" you probably think of factories and chimneys and work.
    But with "nature" you should also think of bacteria and viruses, about cholera and aids. With "technology" you should also think about television, microwave ovens, cheap food... Those amazing images of the stars made by powerful telescopes need both (if you still wish to make the distinction!).

We all think "nature" is more beautiful, but history is never turning back. There has to be some advantage in technology, hasn't it? Maybe it's the free time to be able to enjoy that nature? The primitive man didn't have time to enjoy the landscape. He had to get food out of it.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Why the "or" in the title? I've seen a nice cartoon somewhere, but I can't find it back so I'll describe.
    There was once a big bang. You get space, time, matter, atoms, evolving living beings. At the end you get ants building an ant-hill and humans building a city. The ant-hill is called "natural" and the human city "artificial".
    The caption: "This distinction seems a bit... artificial."
    It is. If a bird's nest is natural, so is a human's house. If the beaver's dam is natural, so is the human's dam.

Another strange thing about beauty: things become beautiful once they are useless. Old windmills are seen as beautiful, the new three-winged power-generating ones as ugly. I bet the middle-agers thought a stone windmill to be ugly. Why can't a thing be beautiful and useful at the same time? This also applies to nature and technology.
    If you think "nature", you probably think of holidays and beautiful landscapes. If you think "technology" you probably think of factories and chimneys and work.
    But with "nature" you should also think of bacteria and viruses, about cholera and aids. With "technology" you should also think about television, microwave ovens, cheap food... Those amazing images of the stars made by powerful telescopes need both (if you still wish to make the distinction!).

We all think "nature" is more beautiful, but history is never turning back. There has to be some advantage in technology, hasn't it? Maybe it's the free time to be able to enjoy that nature? The primitive man didn't have time to enjoy the landscape. He had to get food out of it.
    It's from Abstruse Goose:

“To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Cool poster.

This is like E.O. Wilson social theory too. He studies social organisms, including man. Or rather, he studies ants, and attempts to extrapolate.

I was flying over America one time, and I had this thought that man's suburbs looked just like some kind of fractal pattern found in nature.

There were patterns of houses, schools, stores. Then you travel further, and you see it's a similar pattern here, except the store is on the the left this time, and the school is in the center. It looked like "natural" patterns.

I believe in the future, technology will involve more biology, and thus the line will get even more blurry. Instead of fossil fuels (which were once plants), we will be more integrated with biological forms that exist now. For example, fuel made from algae, plastics made from plants rather than oil.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

versus

Can I have a telephone joker ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

versus

Can I have a telephone joker ?
    I prefer to look at it this way:

versus

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It's impossible to decide between the two, I wish thy both never get lost and I hope in the next years there will be more respect of nature in engineering. There's a promising generation with a new way of thinking raising and in Germany tho we have sucky wind here and no real Ocean, already 11% of the energy mix are coming from suistanable sources. Hope this increases by factor 2 every 5 years
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I prefer to look at it this way:]
    I prefer...

Supernova

Bomb

MBTI
    ENTP

We are part of nature, therefor what we create is in a way nature's creation.
    Another argument would be:
    We fully understand technology, but we can't understand nature's complexity.

Here are a few cool pics from nasa: