User Tag List

123 Last

Default Book Recommendation

I need a good recommendation for a book to read. I honestly don't really like reading novels very much as the bland writing styles most authors use really just bore me; I find it hard to imagine and care about what I'm reading when this happens.

The only book I can actually say I enjoyed reading and read it entirely from the first page to the last without even realizing that I was reading anything was Amazon.com: Knee-Deep in the Dead (Doom, Book 1) (9780671525552): Dafydd ab Hugh, Brad Linaweaver: Books.

I would like to get into reading a little bit, but don't know what would be similar to this book. Mostly I would like a book that details surroundings of what is going on along with the main characters internal thoughts about everything, and it pretty much has to be...um...exciting...so an adventure of some sort that involves survival fiction...and if it is horrific, that's very exciting. That seems to be the only things I can really absorb myself into.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I just finished the Lord of the Rings series for the first time. I would recommend those.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried reading those books before and I can't for some reason. I have a hard time imagining the story as I'm reading the sentences. It just doesn't flow in my mind without applying too much mental effort

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried reading those books before and I can't for some reason. I have a hard time imagining the story as I'm reading the sentences. It just doesn't flow in my mind without applying too much mental effort
    I had tried reading before several and could never seem to get past the Tom Bombadill part... but then I think this most recent time I had a lot of stuff going on that I really needed to escape from for awhile, so it was actually really pleasant to just sort of drift off into it...

Apparently it just took me awhile to get into that style of writing.

Have you read any of the Narnia books?

I had a teacher read Narnia to me in elementary school that I remember a long time ago. I know I enjoyed it . And we saw the movie that I enjoyed. I did enjoy the sense of adventure that it had in it. I'm not sure I would enjoy any of the books after the first one though since the first is usually the best ;P like in movies.

Do you know anything similar to Narnia?

Hm I haven't read them, but I think the His Dark Materials trilogy might be similar (I only saw the movie The Golden Compass). Also perhaps the Lemony Snicket books.

Damn now I really want to read those books (His Dark Materials)... I really liked the movie a lot.

I found a used copy of the set on Amazon so I ordered it.

Thanks. That sounds interesting .

That rule does not apply to Narnia. My favorite books from the series are The Magicians Nephew which is a prequel to Lion, The Witch that explains the creation of Narnia. I also like The Horse and His Boy, which is a stand alone book in the series.

Other series like Narnia would include The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander and also The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. I don't remember much about either because I was fairly young when I read them... but I do remember that I enjoyed them.